ATWT: Martha Byrne leaving

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is truly awful news. Martha Byrne is such a talented actress and is one of the key cast members of the show, if she leaves, then ATWT as a whole will only go downhill from there.

If they even try to recast Lily, it will flop hard. TPTB need to know that there are some characters that can't be recasted, Lily is one of them.

What a sad day.

• Members

This is a very sad turn of events. Martha has done so much for the show, not only with her dedication to the show, but her work outside of it. Her use of the ATWT stars at the St. Jude's benefit was free marketing.

Martha, like so many of you said is one of the few ingenues who really transitioned into adulthood succesfully. She is probably as synonymous to ATWT as Bob Hughes, if not more.

A recast is a bad idea, especially of such an established role. Not only will fan outcry be bad, the show will be panned in the soap press, which frankly is as bad as it gets i soap world.

• Members

The only one I can see as Lily is Heather Ratray. I cant see anyone else in the part. I can see Goutman hiring an ABC actress for the role. He loves getting aBC actors. :rolleyes:

I have a feeling Ms. Hubbard isnt happy. But more than likely supports Martha's decision. Felicia was also responsible for Allison Rice Taylor being fired. Maybe this is the wake up call they need to fire Goutman.

I think this should be the final straw. Let's hope Goutman is fired.

• Members

If it wasn't about money then it had to be either creative control or outs. If her offer was really generous as Goutman is claiming then there's nothing the show could do about it. Bad writing plagued Lily for awhile now and I do think the character needs a rest. The show should not suffer once her exit is handled correctly and the recast does the character justice.

• Members

As sad as it is that she is indeed leaving, I can only hope that Martha moves to another soap right away!! I would love to see her on 'OLTL' as maybe Kelly Cramer or Cassie Callison. I can only imagine how great Martha would be opposite say Erika Slezak & Robin Strasser!!

Still, this is truly terrible for 'ATWT' and for the long-time fans!!!

By the way, IMHO Heather Rattray did indeed do a fine job as Lily (esp. at the very end of her run.)

• Members

Hey Stenbeck? Remember when I said you signature was wrong? Yeah....... Sorry dude... this is seriously the most f***ed up year in ATWT history. Losing SB and MB within months of each other, and putting crap characters like Sofie and Ameera on the frontburner could very well be the death of this show.

I'm calling for Goutman and Passanante's heads! Seriously, if they are not fired, then this show really does have a death wish.

• Members

I'm glad someone agrees with me. I thought she did a good job as Lily. At first I didnt like her. It took me a while to warm up to her. But at the end like you said she was Lily. I would love to see her back in the role. I doubt she will be asked. We will get a high priced ABC actress who is NOT Lily. :rolleyes:

• Members

Well, I'll cut you slack for being fooled by TPTB's brand of murder. It's not a swift and cunning move with a blunt instrument. They give us smiles and promises of the best intentions like Dr. Kevorkian.

Heather Rattray? The idea gives me the willies. She might have been the first botox abuser I've ever seen, an actress way ahead of her time.

• Members

I was indifferent to Heather Rattery playing Lily, this is when I watched every day. I would love to have some time pass and see Susan Haskell play Lily. She is definately a wonderful actress and if she is available, I think they should try for her.

After of course, they fire Goutman and Passante

Archived