GL Changes Look This Week

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Writing aside, I do think this new look (which Ellen Wheeler probably had nothing to do with) is GREAT for Guiding Light. Yes the writing is bad, but even if it were good I couldn't stand watching for a long period of time due to the extremely poor production values. That's not a problem with the budget, that's poor set design pure and simple. ATWT has budget cuts and similar space issues, but what they do have looks great.

In general an Executive Producer is more important than given credit for. Look what Ed Scott has done with DAYS. In comparison, look at Y&R, even now that LML is gone. That golden touch has long been missing, everything looks bland IMO. They are in dire need of a new EP to spice things up.

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Feb 25 2008, 03:34 PM)
In general an Executive Producer is more important than given credit for. Look what Ed Scott has done with DAYS. In comparison, look at Y&R, even now that LML is gone. That golden touch has long been missing, everything looks bland IMO. They are in dire need of a new EP to spice things up.

If you made Ishtar look like The Matrix, would it really matter? EPs can tell set designers what to do, but not writers. Now where do I sign up for a job with an irrelevant boss?

• Members

Well they fall over themselves to watch One Tree Hill or so Brian Frons would have us believe. ;)

My point is that I think daytime should have a good, realistic production style as well as great writing. Neither one is more important than the other if they want to have the medium taken seriously and to gain more viewers. Okay, some argue that GL's writing is below par but at least they're trying to fix something.

I just don't like the notion that daytime viewers should settle for papier mache parks and fibreglass beaches so long as the story is there. Primetime moved on from that decades ago. As for Y&R, while the set design is fine, it should still find a way to do regular location shooting IMO.

• Members

I disagree. i think it is a great poster that someone actually took time to make and cared about - and it showed. it is not just some general ad that all the soaps on a network have with the faces changed. Besides, i love soap print ad's and they never use them much anymore

• Members

^ agree with you in general. But for daytime? thats a nice poster.

It is just so rare when we get them. Esp ones that are not part of an entire network. This postr stands out for GL.

P&G did a poster for GL & ATWT a few years ago i also loved. it wasnt anything new and exciting, just a good collage of pictures and logo's.

Archived