GL Changes Look This Week

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think this should be the future of soaps. If Ellen Wheeler can pull this off with: A) an East Coast soap which has always been known for having limited production space/weather and environmental issues/higher prices for taping and B) the soap with the smallest budget of the 9 left on the air... I cannot wait to see what other can do with a similar technique.

If this model is affordable, increases the quality of the show and draws viewers in, I am so in support of all the soaps making this transition.

• Members

I kind of like the traditional soap look. I don't really care for changing the "soap opera," but open to experimenting. It's all in the writing and acting for me though. And I hope Y&R never updates to this new look, just update the sets and I'll be good.

• Members

They have some nice sets, but its time to remodel the furniture, or feature more sets at the very least. We used to have much more, now everything feels so clustered. The whole Abbott mansion "time stipulation" order to me is so absurd and silly, giving that, well it's a MANSION.

• Members

I saw a few clips at We Love Soaps, and the camera work needs focus. You cannot wow an audience with visuals alone though. The people who said it in this thread can't all be crazy. It's a good thing that everything looks bigger on tv, because that Spaulding mansion room looks tiny as hell. I wonder what's going to double for the exteriors of businesses and other locations besides houses. Peapack needs a diversity of architecture to pull off the illusion. Why is the light house surrounded by a corn field in that ad? If that's truly the new logo, it's great. How cool that the title comes together to reveal its initials in the middle. The renovation's Friday debut should be interesting. It could be the genre's biggest weekend cliffhanger of the decade.

• Members

Well I hate to disappoint Ms. Wheeler, but this will do crap for GL's ratings.

I'll tune in and check it out, but I don't think I'll be a fan of the "new look." I, for one, like the "stagey," traditional soap look. I don't WANT the soaps to look glossy and "realistic" and more "movie-like." Perhaps I'm in the miniority, but I've always liked that my soaps seemed more like a stage production than primetime TV.

Even if the "sets" LOOK impressive, the handheld cameras will probably be TOO much. Shaky cameras ONLY have a place on fast-paced, action-oriented programs (e.g. NYPD Blue) or zany, fast-paced sitcoms that cut from scene to scene constantly (e.g. The Office or Arrested Development). It's going to seem ridiculous having shaky cam on a molasses-paced soap opera.

• Members

I'll tune in because I'm a glutton for punishment. But, I'm always a sucker for a good laugh too, so who knows what I'll do? I'm going to try to be optimstic and hopefully with this new change, it will improve the writing. If not, then there's an obvious red flag. There's been an obvious red flag for nearly three years.

But- I'm staying positive. God it's so hard keeping my mouth shut, so I'm just going to click the Add Reply button and be done with it.

• Members

Setting aside the writing issue, I'm another who has a positive outlook towards this with regard to ratings and hopefully overall quality. I don't care what people say about how they'd love to watch amazing stories being played out in front of an old curtain -- that won't fly with the casual/new generation of viewers that the genre needs to survive. For all her supposed faults Ellen Wheeler does seem to understand that.

I'll never get the kind of false nostalgia that people have for videotaped, overly lit, stagey production values. They're simply an extension of the complete artistic ennui that has pervaded soaps for the last decade -- an unwillingness to try anything fresh or step up to the plate in the way primetime has.

• Members

^^^I disagree. Y&R for example looks amazing just the way it is. I hate AMC new look, it just doesn't fit into the mold of things, and I don't see them picking up any new viewers. I don't think younger viewers are going to care too much about having a prime time look. It's all in the stories. Sure, it's good for exposure, but do you honestly think the new generation are going to care about all that when the stories stink and the acting is sub-par (especially on a "daytime" soap where the bias already exist)?

Archived