GL Changes Look This Week

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't understand what Ellen Wheeler and P&G think is so novel about what they're doing. Didn't ABC try shaky cameras and multi-level sets over a decade ago with "The City"? We all saw how well that went over.

I'd love to be optimistic, but this seems like another gimmick that will end up being one more nail -- if not the final nail -- in GL's coffin.

• Members

Using restrooms and people's offices for sets as they describe in the article is exactly what made their various live remotes in the last year or two look so cheap and amateurish.

This could go either way but I am leaning towards bad. I approve heartily of the British soaps' model of shooting, but this appears to be driven by budget and not aesthetic and when you cut corners, it shows.

• Members

I wish people would stop being so negative about this. At least GL is trying something new to rejuvenate the show AND the genre. Sure, the writing could use a little improvement but what show couldn’t these days? At least now people will stop complaining that everyone lives in The Beacon and everything takes place on Main Street.

Say what you want about Ellen Wheeler, but at least she’s passionate about making GL work. She’s done good work with the endless budget cuts she’s been presented with and she show is in a lot better shape than some of the other soaps right now. If Josh and Reva lived over in Port Charles they’d pop up for one episode a month and maybe a Sweeps story based on their past that would be forgotten about as soon as it was over if they were really lucky.

Also, if you look at some of the ABC soaps and their production values, I’m glad that GL is trying something different. A lot of the sets, especially on AMC, are nothing great and I’d much rather have this new look than what we’ve been given in the past.

People keep going on about how bad the writing is, but at least they’re not having explosions and serial killers left, right and centre (hello, GH!) and are utilizing the majority of their cast instead of relying on the same five faces in and endless supply of boring, forgettable storylines. The show could use some work, but I’d much rather sit through an episode of Guiding Light than All My Children.

My only peeve, however, is this new logo that we’re seeing in the promos. For a show that’s now trying to be ‘real’, a cartoonish logo doesn’t really reflect that. I was a huge fan of the opening that aired until they replaced it with the ‘hands’ one and would much rather see that re-installed, although perhaps it might detract from this ‘all new look’ they’re going for.

Who knows? Maybe this new look will be a success and CBS/P&G will get behind it and put new writers in place to work on the storylines, but at the very least this all shows that CBS/P&G is trying to keep GL alive and rejuvenate the genre.

Archived