GH: Genire Francis says I'm Sorry to GH fans

• Members

Genie Francis to General Hospital Fans: "I'm Sorry"

Inspired by the message at the heart of The Note, the Hallmark Channel movie she stars in this Saturday at 9 pm/ET, Genie Francis wants to make amends with any General Hospital fans who to this day — decades after the fact — were disappointed to see her quit the sudser at the peak of her popularity. "I know that Laura [baldwin Spencer] meant a great deal to many people, and still does," says Francis. "I've long regretted not taking the fans into account when making the hasty decision to leave the show.

"Forgiveness and reconciliation are at the core of The Note, and filming it forced me to look inside myself at certain decisions in my past.... Right now I want to reach out to all of my fans and say that I'm sorry. I'm sorry for leaving you so abruptly, for not taking into account the feelings of the people who helped Laura truly take on a life of her own.

"It was the decision of a young, impetuous girl," Francis says in closing, "and the woman she has become asks for your forgiveness."

The above represents a whole different caliber of class, folks. — Matt Webb Mitovich

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's a nice thought, but honestly, the woman deserved to have a life too. She shouldn't feel the need to apologize 20+ years later. Although cynically, I gotta wonder if it's just a little blurb to generate some publicity for her movie.

• Members

I tend to agree. I appreciate the sentiment, and I adore Genie, but I think this has something to do with publicity.

And didn't she leave the show because she had gotten addicted to drugs and was worried about her health? Because I don't consider that selfish.

• Members

You have to admit, Genie looks great these days! In fact, when I saw the ad for "The Note," I automatically assumed it was a movie from the early 90s that they were replaying because she looked so thin. Come to find out it's a brand new movie circa 2007.

• Members

Maybe Genire needs closure on that chapter of her life. What harm does it do to APOLOGIZE to her fans? Especially doing something that made absolutely no sense because there were no "spoilers" and "internet gossip" back then to know she'd just flat out disappear into the fog.

Shoot. I still carry guilt over the fact that I didn't let my mother come to Parents' Night back when I was in dance class in 1987. She doesn't even remember it, but I do.

• Members

This is totally a publicity stunt she said on her intimate portrait on lifetime that she wished her stay on amc could of been longer(the show she went to after she left gh), doesn't that contradict that she's sorry for leaving? Seems to me she could of easily gone back to gh after her run on amc ended. I guess people change. ;)

• Members

How is she contradicting herself? Read it again. She's not sorry for leaving GH, she's sorry for how she left GH and the fans.

AMC has nothing to do with it. She was already a grown woman by that time. She was talking about the first time she left when she was like 19, 20 years old.

Archived