DAYS: tvguide.ca's Suds Report, October 29

• Members

The Suds Report: October 29, 2007

Days of our Lives (Global/NBC) — Philip and Belle have sex! Hogestyn update

“Not true,” Days spokesperson Daniella Mancinelli says with a laugh regarding an interesting rumour surrounding the series. The yarn has Drake Hogestyn returning to Days sometime in January 2008 as a new character related to John Black named Russell McAllister (not to be confused with Rob Lowe’s character on Brothers & Sisters), who is married to a teacher, Anne, and has a son named Gadge.

Days has axed two more cast members, Renee Jones (Lexie) and Marcus Patrick (Jett); but don’t expect James Reynolds (Abe) to follow suit; he’s not going anywhere, our sources report.

I Wanna Be A Soap Star 4 winner Ashlee Holland joins the soap in a TBA role on Dec. 26.

In plot news, Sami’s life just went from bad to worse — EJ is the father of her baby son; Kate conspires with the DiMeras to make it look like she’s the next John Black; Nick rescues Chelsea; Belle confides in Sami regarding her sexual romp with Philip; and Marlena freaks out on Hope about revenge. Good times.'

MASTER CLASS: THE BEST OF THE BEST

Deidre Hall, Days of Our Lives

Kudos to Deidre Hall for her understated yet heartfelt performance as Marlena mourned the death of the love of her life, John Black, on Days last week. At times, I couldn’t believe I was watching Days — there was a weight, seriousness, and reality to the soap that has been rarely seen before. And guess what, it worked; give me more! Memo to Hall: submit yourself for Emmy consideration. Now’s the time.

SOAP MALFUNCTION: THIS WEEK’S RANT

Days-ja vu!

The latest Drake Hogestyn (ex-John, Days) rumour got me thinking — a scary predicament, I admit. Days’ biggest problem is its biggest strength: its super-star cast. Tune in, and you’d think it’s 1989 again. While we’re thrilled that the show’s most popular super-couples are back in Salem, there’s also no new blood on the canvas to keep stories moving forward. Even the teen set is comprised of offspring from these super-couples. While we’re happy couples like Patch and Kayla, and Bo and Hope, are still thriving, you need to strike a balance. Three decades later, Days’ main story is still the DiMeras’ vendetta against the Bradys. We’ve seen it all before – let’s move on and bring in a new family or a new generation of interlopers to inspire a new chapter.

TOP 5 SHOWS TO WATCH

1. One Life to Live

2. General Hospital

3. The Bold and the Beautiful

4. Days of Our Lives

5. The Young and the Restless

TOP 5 ACTRESSES TO WATCH

1. Susan Flannery (Stephanie, B&B)

2. Erika Slezak (Viki, OLTL)

3. Tonja Walker (Alex, OLTL)

4. Eileen Davidson (Ashley, B&B)

5. Deidre Hall (Marlena, Days)