Contracts/Appearances

• Members

I have read bits and pieces about actors contracts/guarantees etc.Hope some of you can verify/correct my comments.

It is my understanding that most actors are on 13 week cycles-some more senior/popular performers can negotiate 26/52 week cycles.

So a 3 yr contract has 13 week outs where the actor can be released at that time-as we have seen many times.

If someone is axed after 3 weeks they are still paid for 13 weeks.

Within that cycle there are appearance guarantees-again this can be negotiated.

A popular veteran may have 3 day a week guarantee,meaning they are paid for 3 eps whether they appear or not.In recent times,there has been a reduction in salaries and guarantees.

The appearance guarantee is calculated over the 13 week cycle.Therefore,if you are on a 2 ep a week guarantee that is 26 eps in that time.So an actor could be on 4 days one week and none the next,so long as the average is met.

Any episodes over that extra salary is paid.

Is this a true pic of how it works?

If so,why do shows not use contract actors?eg Suzanne Rogers.If she is on a one ep a week agreement and is not used 13 times,the show forks over money while she twiddles her thumbs at home.This doesn't make sense to me!

Also,how are the salaries of veteran recurring players calculated?

I read that if an actor goes recurring they are paid at the same rate as their contract agreement.How would tht work for a Susan Seaforth/Bill Hayes situation where they have been off the show for some time? Same goes for Leann Hunley.

Looking forward to your responses!!!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Contracts i dont know to much about aside from the fact that if used more than whats in the contract they get paid (in our world think over time). if not used for the contract time then they still get paid (like getting a base salery pay in our world i guess). i have always wonderd about the 13 week cycle.

i know that some prefer to stay on recurring instead of contract (Cady on ATWT, Tarcey on Y&R). the reasns variy. but a lot of times its because they get paid for when they work, and are free to do other projects when not being used on the soap. also frees up much time for family, etc..

as for why people like Suzanne Rogers are not used... you never know whats in those contracts. Maybe her contract is for xx amout of days per month, or year, not week. I dont know but id intersted to know the facts on this. and can you imagine how much ali sweeney must be getting on Days? they use her every day. and i doubt her contract is to be used everyday.

• Members

Oh Yes, Beverlee McKinsey put the screws to JFP, CBS and P&G when she used her infamous 'out clause'.

Okay so here is how contracts work in daytime (generally)

Contract go for 2 or 3 years, then they are renegotiated.

In almost all contracts performers are on a 13 week cycle in which they can be fired in between cycles (although if they were fired in the middle of a cycle, say week 4, they'd be paid for 9 more weeks).

Typically, performers will have a guarantee of 2-3 episodes a week. The performer is paid for these appearances regardless of whether or not they make them. If a performer makes more appearances than set out by their guarantee the performer is paid more for that episode (sort of like overtime).

Typically, mid-level performers are paid $1500 an episode, maybe more, maybe less.

Performers like Suzanne Rogers are interesting. In Suzanne's case she doesn't work on 13 week cycles, rather, she works on 52 week cycles. Her contract is renegotiated and renewed every year. In terms of guarantee I don't think she has one. Rather, I think she and her lawyer and the accountants at SONY and Corday work out a salary that she'll be paid throughout the year. In my opinion that's why she's had such uneven screen time because Sheffer isn't obligated to write for her...yet she's still being paid so he might as well use her. Say what we will about Corday and SONY but they seem to have the attitude that if you're good to them they'll be good to you. Suzanne and Corday appear to get along famously (and since she's been on the show since 1973 she and SONY must be well acquainted). That being said I don't think Rogers is making a fortune at DAYS, but I think it's a decent, steady income.

Recurring performers are paid strictly for the episodes in which they appear. Susan Seaforth Hayes, for instance, probably gets paid $1000 an episode, maybe less. She and Corday do not get along, Hayes herself has admitted that she's been "a bitch" to Ken throughout her time on the show. Thus, she doesn't have a contract even though her screentime with Rogers is somewhat comparable.

In recent years many soap vets (especially on AMC, ATWT, GL and GH) have seen their guarantees drop drastically. DAYS seems to be the lone soap which basically gives 'loyalty' contracts. How long that will last is anyones guess.

• Members

^ You dont know the BM screwing GL story? its amazing. im sure others will tell in great detail but ill give the overview....

BM was a clause in her contract. she could leave if she gave a 6 week notice (i belive it was 6, maybe more/less. maybe it was at the end of a 13 week cycle). Well BM went on vacation. She informed them that she would not eb retuning and this was her notice.

Archived