All: What do soap writers have against adoption?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Does a child that comes out of an affair that's adopted by the legitimate couple count?

Like on GL, Maureen wasn't Michelle's biological mother, but the product of a one-night stand Ed Bauer had with Claire Ramsey. Claire neglected Michelle, but Maureen adopted her and Michelle IS Maureen's daughter. Maureen loved that child more than life itself and you'd never know that Michelle wasn't biologically hers.

And yes, Maureen had all the maternal parental rights to Michelle.

• Members

Kendall's story, was never, nor will it EVER be about Erica. It's always been about Kendall. It's always been, me this and me that with her. It's always been about what the adoption and her conception did to HER. It's never once been about Erica and how she was a 14 year old child, who was raped and got pregnant. It's never once been about how Erica looking at Kendall made her see RF. It's never once been about Erica's pain, or what Kendall being alive means to Erica. It's never been anything more then Kendall. Poor, poor Kendall. :rolleyes: Was raised by parents who loved her. Poor, poor Kendall had had a real family and people who loved her despite her concepion. Poor, poor, Kendall. *gags*. I wish it would have been about the birth parents, or birth mother, in this case.

• Members

On GH, Bobbie and Tony Jones adopted Lucas. Not too much focus on the biological parents (Julian and Cheryl) since they got killed off early on, just a little bit at the start when there was a chance Robert Scorpio was the father. And Alan and Monica adopted Emily after her mother died. I guess you could call those "good adoptions by default" since nobody was alive to contest them. :P

• Members

Sure there were happy adoptions.

Curtis Harris on ATWT

Bianca Marquez on ATWT

Devon Winters on Y&R

Reggie Montgomery on AMC

Funny, whenever the kid is a person of color, their transition to a new family is relatively smooth because their new life is a world away from the slummy existence they know too well.

• Members

Are we talking about characters who have been adopted showing up bitter and angry, or characters who try to adopt in general and how there is soapy drama involved?

I'm only asking because I understand the need for the dramatics when characters try to adopt. What I don't understand is how 25 year old adults come to town seeking revenge. My mother was adopted and, true, she had her issues with it, but never once regretted being adopted.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived