SOW Interview with Bryan Dattilo

• Members

Interview by Hinsey

H: I get more mail from EJ/Sami supporters (EJami) now than Lucas/Sami (Lumi). How do you feel about that?

BD: Fine. Most of my conversations are through Lumi, as you might expect, so those are positive. But I get a lot of backlash from EJami, because I’ve kidded around in online chats with Lumi fans about EJami fans and how they eat their young. But that’s just me being me. I know there are rape victims out there who frown on the connection between Sami and EJ. I think that is kind of insulting to those people and I would like to apologize to them for that. On a more positive note, I think Ali [sweeney] and James [scott’s] chemistry is amazing and EJami itself is a great thing for Lucas. Maybe he can play his own storyline now.

CH: You mean stop being the third leg of a love triangle?

BD: I think it’s time for Lumi to close a chapter, if not the book. Public perception is starting to be that Lucas is a punk, a doormat, a pushover, and it’s frustrating to me as an actor. You try to pick moments to be strong, but they need you to cater to Sami. I’m working on trying to stick up for Lucas a little more. Don’t get me wrong, I am totally happy. But Lucas’ arms are tired from carrying Sami. She is a full load!

CH: You’d be okay if Sami and EJ became a supercouple?

BD: Yeah. I think Sami and EJ have the ability to be a supercouple like Luke and Laura. If the audience could get past the rape thing, they could be the next Bo and Hope, or John and Marlena. They have a choice to accept it and allow the main connection between them to be Santo and Colleen, and their history.

CH: With no Lucas?

BD: I’m aware that my role might shrink in size because of that. I’ve always been a team player. I’m willing to lay down a bunt; I don’t always have to hit the home run. That’s cool with me. They have great chemistry and that should be explored.

CH: Do you think Lucas has suffered as a character because of everything Sami has done to end the Brady/DiMera vendetta?

BD: It’s been hard lately, because everywhere I go, people are like, “Why is Lucas so dumb? Do you think we are stupid? Who would put up with that?” So in that aspect. I look forward to whatever new way they try to take it.

CH: What kind of story would you like?

BD: The single-father storyline is something untouched in daytime. I’m a single father myself and that would be a great angle to show with Lucas.

CH: A story with Will? Or with the twins?

BD: Whether they are both his babies, or one is his baby – I’ve heard a lot of rumors – that is something uncharted. There are a lot of single fathers out there who step up but the Deadbeat Dad kind of reigns supreme. Having a song who’s autistic with special needs, it’s taken a lot for me to raise him. I would love to pour that same energy into this story.

CH: Is there a woman on the canvas that you think would be good for Lucas besides Sami?

BD: Off the top of my head, Chelsea. She’s trouble but she has a very good upside. But I don’t really see anybody for Lucas, because everyone is pretty well-established in their own storylines. It would be refreshing if someone from the past was brought in; someone connected to a major family who runs into Lucas, and sees qualities in him as a single father and a responsible man.

CH: And if not that?

BD: Whoever! I’ll take Hope. I’ll take Julie.

CH: How about Marlena?

BD: I’ve always had a thing for older women, so I wouldn’t close the door on that!

CH: But in the end…

BD: Lucas will fight for Sami. He will not give in to the demands of the DiMeras. Lucas will not give up on his love.

WOHOOO seems even Bryan can't deny the Ejami power!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOL. I noticed that too. Maybe Bryan got confused thinking Chelsea was adopted by his sister rather than the Bensons so the show would consider another uncle-niece hookup since they seem so pleased with Stephanie and Max? heh.

But seriously I am pleased to see him having such a positive attitude about things, not that I don't think there's a chance he's being careful due to that "You pout, you're out" edict. I wish him the best in a Lucas role independent of Sami.

• Members

Good interview.

I love his team player line. It sounds like he feels his character being tied down by Sami and that the only way for him to get a bigger challenge is for LUMI to go their separate ways for a bit or for good. I can't say I blame him. Lucas has been nothing but Sami's sidekick/lover for years. Spoilers indicate that he will change his last name to Horton so, hopefully, those roots will be explored and he will be defined more as an individual. I have my doubts but I am optimistic. BD is talented and deserves something good to sink his teeth into.

Does anyone have any other SOD/SOW news on Days? It seems this is the only thing circulating. I am rather shocked Hinsey had someone from Days to be interviewed. She usually has alot of ABC people or someone from Y&R.

• Members

i dont know if there is anyone for Lucas once Sami and EJ get together? maybe kill him off? lol i dont know the only girl out there is Carrie and i think that door is closed Carrie and Austin are happy together there are Horton girls but he is a horton there are no girl kiriakis or Dimera's or Brady's unless he hooks up with on of Kims Daughters or Stephanie which i dont see either...how bout Gretta?

• Members

Yep. I think they found out when he was like 4 or 5. I remember he did an interview where he talked about how the year he got fired from Days was a bad year all around. He lost his job, got a divorce, and then he mentioned learning his son was autistic. Bryan is a great father to him and they seem to do so much together. I would love to see that type of story done and think Bryan would be behind it too.

• Members

BD: Yeah. I think Sami and EJ have the ability to be a supercouple like Luke and Laura. If the audience could get past the rape thing, they could be the next Bo and Hope, or John and Marlena. They have a choice to accept it and allow the main connection between them to be Santo and Colleen, and their history.

Boy, Bryan, you are asking an awful lot of the audience. Nowadays you'd have all the feminist groups down on your ass for doing a story like Luke and Laura had at the start. You couldn't deny the chemistry, but what a controversial storyline that was for its time. And it still is.

Regardless, good interview!

• Members

I can't deny that EJ and Sami have chemistry, but I'm afraid it will only turn out like Cassie and Edmund on GL. All it would take is a particular writer to make EJ completely evil again, or do one too many evil things for Sami to tolerate, and that would be it. Heck, they've done it with Sami and Lucas before, & also Sami and Austin. I believe the only difference this time would be that the role is reversed, and EJ is just slightly more evil than Sami could ever be... but he's right in line with Edmund, and that doesn't bode well.

I'm glad that BD mentions the fan response to Lucas. It makes me respect him a little more knowing that he's willing to admit that not everyone likes his character these days.

• Members

Good interview. I think BD is right that Lucas needs some time to develop as a character away from Sami. He's been shackled to her storylines--and to Kate-- for way too long. I would love it if they brought Nicole back and revisited that relationship again.

I wasn't aware that BD has a son who is autistic. That's challenging and something a lot of people have to deal with (in the celebrity world, I believe Jenny McCarthy's son is also autistic), so it would be a great potential storyline for Bryan. DAYS needs to do more real life topics like that and less Touch the Sky type stuff.

• Members

You know what, if I trusted DAYS to do it right, I'd love to see one of the twins be born with Downs Syndrome. As a Marlena fan, the possibilities that gives is amazing (DH had a brother who was born with Downs), and for the show, it could give it the emotional and social story it needs. But I don't trust Sheffer and Corday to do it with the respect it needs.

Archived