Criminal Minds, Mandy Patinkin Confirm Parting of Ways

Rhiannon

• Members

Criminal Minds, Mandy Patinkin Confirm Parting of Ways

As first teased in Michael Ausiello's TCA press tour diary, CBS and Criminal Minds lead Mandy Patinkin have agreed to disagree and thus part ways effective immediately, meaning that fans of the hit crime drama have seen the last of Jason Gideon.

"Mandy Patinkin asked to be released from his role on Criminal Minds. We have honored this request, which was not in any way connected to contract renegotiations or salary issues," says a statement from CBS Paramount Network Television and ABC Studios (which produces Minds). "His departure... will be explained to audiences in an episode to be filmed in the near future and broadcast early next season. We thank Mandy for helping to make Criminal Minds a strong and successful series, and we wish him the best in his future endeavors. A new character will be added to the series for next season."

A statement issued on behalf of Patinkin, in turn, reads: "Due to creative differences, Mandy has asked not to return to Criminal Minds this season. Mandy would like to thank the studios and network for releasing him from the series and he wishes the cast and crew continued success in all of their endeavors and looks forward to continuing to work with the Disney and CBS companies in other capacities in the future."

Not nearly as juicy as the blog from exec producer Ed Bernero posted over the weekend, but few things are.

Linked

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

This is the second time he left a show high and dry.

If you want to leave, at least have the courtesy to tell the producers and cast!

Mandy is so selfish.

I'm sure CI will survive without him.

• Members

It was always my understanding based on information when they were announcing the new fall line up shows that Criminal Minds was more geared for Thomas Gibson, who plays Hotchner. and that Mandy was solely to be just as a 'guardian' so to speak when piecing the crimes together.... I loved Mandy Patinkin in the show...I don't know what went down on any of his other shows, but he was a favorite of mine.

Archived