Lynn Marie Latham's "Pedigree"

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Her work in TV is hit and miss but then again who's isn't? It's hard to think of one person who is 100 per cent all the time. Some of her stuff I loved (I watched all of "Knot's Landing" on SoapNet and loved every second of it pretty much save for alot of the final season and she was knee-deep in that. Absolutely cannot think about "Homefront" without smiling, that show brought me true joy, something I can't say about many tv series! It was brilliant! She was the main force on that one I believe...I know people who (although the runs were small) still carry on about "Second Chances" and "Hotel Malibu" as if they were lost classics!

As for her Y&R work I alternate between loving it and thinking I can't take anymore. The last few weeks have been so hard to watch, that reliquary (SP?) story with Brad and the Nazis was painful...Y&R was the soap that saved me when "Guiding Light" fell apart but even thinking back to the Jack Smith/Kay Alden bits that were kicking when I jumped on board, not all of that had me screaming with joy...Bobby/Britney and the mob anyone?

LML got lucky that she came on as the Sharon/Brad/Nick/Phyllis debacle was unspooling, that was perfectly plotted soap in my opinon and she seems to have gotten all the credit for it, but she really just inherited that from the previous team in my opinion, her own stuff (again) is hit/miss.

I hate the pacing, it makes me crazy when something happened two episodes ago and the characters (still dressed in the morning after that days clothes) reference the events as if they were ages ago. I hate the way it seems people are beyond mad at someone one day and over it the next, I hate Cane, etc. BUT there are things I love, Colleen and Kevin is a story I never dreamed I'd champion (I know that AL is leaving which makes me sick), I love JT/Victoria, I actually LOVE the Nick Newman Rip Van Winkle storyline as well. It's selling me on JM as an actor and the relationship between he and Phyllis, I love the Logan character, her tragic backstory is pure soap...hopefully she is who she says she is, I love Sharon marrying Jack for her son more than anything else while still loving Brad (again, pretty classic soap stuff), I love Jill having screen time and she and Ji-Min are HOT (again hopefully he is who he says he is), other parts of the show make me crazy and reach for the remote.

SO, her spotty prime-time record makes sense as I see her Y&R work as equally spotty, super swell in some places and utter crap in others! LOL!

Kade

• Members

LOL! I stopped watching during the convoluted red hot mess that was the "Pheila" mess, I believe January/February. I couldn't take it anymore. I tuned back in for the last few Victoria Rowell episodes and the Tonya Lee Williams episodes. That's it. I meant to watch the KKL episodes, but forgot. I do keep up on the stories though through these boards and SOD and nothing has made me want to tune back in. I'm waiting to read the headline: "Y&R TYRANT FIRED!"

• Members

"Second Chances" and "Hotel Malibu" are on DVD. The first six to seven episodes of "Second Chances" are pretty rough and overall there was never a really strong canvas. Characters don't seem to have much direction and the opening storyline involving the murder of Connie Selleca's husband is rather boring. The final episodes pick up a bit when they focus on Megan Follow's romance with a heir to fortune and the mystery surrounding his drugged out aunt. "Hotel Malibu" was really fluffy and featured a rather miscast John Dye as the show's lead villain who is plotting to bring down a hotel involving a fire. There was a rather interesting Erica Kane type played by Romy Walthall, a hotel maid who married Paul Satterfield's character.

• Members

Yes. Jennifer Lopez's Melinda is the link between the two shows. They are packaged together on DVD as one. Melinda's father Sal is also on both series, but her brothers, who appear on "Second Chances", are only mentioned on "Hotel Malibu". They never figured out what to do with Melinda. Early on in SC, she was paired with upper crust lawyer Kevin (played by the guy who played Gil Chase on CPW) and then spent her time trying to earn money to go to college. On HM, she worked as a bartender and fought off the advances of John Dye's character.

• Members

Yep. I got the set a few years ago and watched it at the time but remember very little. Michelle Phillips from Knots was in SC too I recall. On the DVDs, Hotel Malibu has kind of been rebranded as "Second Chances" to pretend it's one single series. The distributor has used the Second Chances cadillac opening on its successor replacing whatever it was originally. If you were ignorant to the whole series, the only reason you'd notice would be the complete cast change from one episode to another. ;)

Archived