B&B: Is ANYONE on Brooke's Side These Days?!

• Members

I've loved Brooke since Day One because she seemed to be a Nikki Reed Newman in-training.

However, over the years, Bradley Bell has really trashed her character. Obviously, Brooke used her sex appeal to marry Eric and try and lure Ridge, etc., but in the early years she was not the Resident Slut of the show. Rather, she was doing things that other characters (Eric, Ridge, Caroline, Stephanie, Sheila, even Taylor -- who, like Caroline, fell in love with Ridge while she was still married to somebody else) were also doing.

Bradley Bell, however, cannot write two- (let alone three-) dimensional characters. So he eventually went with the Brooke = Slut paradigm and stuck with that. Mainly because he knew that KKL could pull it off. Sometimes I wish that KKL had complained a little more about certain SLs. Breacon being one of them. Rushing to beg for Ridge's love every 20 seconds being another.

Truth be told, Bridge was ruined the character of both Brooke and Ridge. And having Brooke jump all over Nick is fast ruining Brick for me. I don't know. I haven't watched the show in over a month. I'm bored with Brooke's same-old same-old SLs. I guess you could call me a KKL fan because I think she makes lemonade out of lemons. But Brooke? She's going to need a SL AWAY from any men to rebuild this character and find her spark, independence and intelligence again, because it has been FAR too long since we saw any of that.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I couldn't put it better myself. The writing for the character has always been so jarring with Brad Bell that it's difficult to make a moral judgement about the Brooke character. Every time Brooke finds herself without a storyline, she's suddenly shoved into hypersexual mode and attempts to seduce another woman's man. That's not who the character was when B&B started and it's boring to watch over and over and over again.

Though Breacon was the worst example of this, it can be traced back to around 2001 when Massimo first joined and KKL had her eye lift (all irrelevant points but just giving a frame of reference). Until that point, the romance with Thorne had been written fairly realistically even if the breakdown of the marriage was unrealistic. I lost count of the number of times Brad hammered home that Brooke loved Thorne and would never ever go after Ridge again. It was a new beginning. Ha. Soon enough she began to turn into this sinister Sheila-esque character out to get Ridge and ended up being dropped on her head off the top of the Eiffel Tower. This started 6+ years of ridiculous stories that have only been salvaged by KKL being such a great actress.

Recently, other sections of the show have been working but Brooke is still stuck in the usual quagmire. I just hope that the current breakdown story teamed with Kay Alden's influence gives KKL something different to get her teeth into. She must be bored shitless.

Archived