Hey Kids! Comics!

kade

• Members

HUGE comic book geek here, spend about 50.00 bucks a week on them! Anybody else into them at SON? Faves are Captain America, Immortal Iron-Fist, and all the X-titles, HUGE Legion Of Super-Heroes freak here as well!

Kade

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I dig the comics too, really enjoying JSA, JLA, Green Lantern, Captain America, the X-Men books have been pretty decent lately, better than they have been in years. I also read a lot of Vertigo stuff, American Virgin, Army@Love, DMZ, Y-The Last Man, and 100 Bullets.

I am not into much at Marvel right now, they have kind of lost me with the recent company wide storylines. I hate what has become of most of their characters. I really got into some of their stuff, like Young Avengers and the Runaways, but YA is not being published right now, and Runaways has a new creative direction that is just okay compaired to how excellent it was.

• Members

Justice League and Justice Society are two of the best books being published right now...my heart is at Marvel Comics but lately stuff like the JLA/JSA/LOSH crossover, The Flash biting it, and The Sinestro Corps War have me really excited about DC more than I have been in a long time!

Only non-super-hero titles I get are Ex-Mechina, Y, The Last Man, and Fables. I just read too many of the inter-connected super-hero titles...I also am getting the Buffy The Vampire Slayer season eight comic, but I'm not as thrilled with it as most seem to be. Whedon just isn't that great of a comics writer in my opinion, Runaways is only so-so under him after being my favorite book under Vaughn and Astonishing X-Men, while pretty, is a mess.

Marvel sitting around waiting for Alen Heinberg to return to Young Avengers is ridiculous, those are the first new characters in the Marvel U in years that have caught people's attention! Have Heinberg consult and get the second season of the book out there. Don't get me started on all of this "super-star" talent that can't get a book out on any sort of constant schedule! :(

Kade

• Members

completely disagree! X-Men has been a mess since Grant Morrison left. Uncanny and X-Men are boring and often don't make sense, Astonishing started out great but has fizzled with arcs 2 and 3, and the bimonthly releases are killing arc 4. Issue 200 of X-Men was also lame.

• Members

I'm bad when it comes to the X-titles...they are always the first things that I read no matter what quality level they are at. Personally after the mess that was X-Men Re-Load in Summer 04 the past year has been great...The power level and personalities in the X-Men title is amazing, the year long space epic in Uncanny I really enjoyed, and X-Factor has been great since day one...I even really look forward to Claremont's two contributions (Exiles and New Excaliber), my biggest gripe is Marvel allowing Astonishing to lumber on as it has which is keeping that group of characters in storyline limbo...I can't for the life of me shove that little late shipping book into any sort of continuity to save my life...

Kade

• Members

I think Mike Carey's run on X-Men has been the closest thing to classic Claremont on the books in many years. I'm not that into his set of characters, but the stories remind me of the good old days. I enjoyed the recent Uncanny storyline, not my favorite trip to space, but it was a nice break from what has been going on in the books for years. Morrison was mostly good for me too. Astonishing really had promise, but it is more attractive to look at than read for me. I'm still just happy that Kitty is a player again, and Colossus is back.

X-Factor is its own little thing, and I like it for the most part. Even New X-Men has me a little hooked with all the turmoil and the return of Magik. That one is close to classic New Mutants. I'm curious how the big cross-over this fall will do.

• Members

Have you seen the special "Simpsons" comic available at 7-11's this past week? A bunch of my Simpsons inclinded friends are buzzing about it and all the other cool Simpsons related stuff (the Buzz cola, the Krusty O's etc.)

Kade

• Members

That was the thing I loved about Carey's X-Men team, I had NO interest in the characters when I saw the first looks at them but in the end I really got into them, Cannonball and Rogue have always been favorites but the rest I was not looking forward to. I was actually kind of unhappy when issue 200 rolled up and mixed things up, never saw that coming. I also think Carey is definitly channeling classic Claremont!

Claremont's last run on Uncanny was quite a mess BUT giving him those two books (Exiles and New Excaliber) really work. It keeps him writing mutants but gets him out of the big picture. He's written so many of my favorites I can throw him 6.00 bucks a month to say thanks! :)

Currently in the middle of a re-read of Essential X-Men volume 7 (been re-reading all of them in order when I find the time), he was amazing!

Back to current X-titles...the space trip was really cool as Havok and Polaris are both favorites of mine as was the Vulcan character. Looking forward to the mini-series that is spinning out of it coming this Fall big time!

It took me a while to warm up to New X-Men, I've read all the old New Mutants issues and still enjoy them and the New X-Men revival in 04 during Re-Load was way too soapy for me but since M-Day the book has been getting better, it really needed to thin the ranks and find some focus. Never thought I'd get into X-23 but she's become pretty interesting.

TOTALLY agree about all the lost promise regarding Astonishing. While I love Cassaday's art (if he's the problem with the scheduling) I'm hoping they schedule a team on it when the current run ends that can get it out on time. Those characters are too important to leave in thier own little corner for too long.

This Fall's X-event really has me excited! I'm hoping it'll pull the gang from X-Factor and New X-Men into the bigger picture!

Kade

• Members

Marvel is horrible at planning and continuity. They've known for quite a while that Astonishing is going to be bimonthly till atleast the latter half of this year, yet they still write in the Astonishing team into X-Men 200 like nothing's happened, when they should have still been away on the Breakworld. Scott still had his powers! And I seem to recall Uncanny members appearing in X-Men while they were supposed to be battling the Shi'ar. They do the same with the random Phoenix __Song minis and Civil War, and while I havent read World War Hulk: X-Men yet, I'm sure they're doing it there too. It's retarded!

• Members

I possibly could tollerate his run if not for the dreadful manga art style that makes every character look like an over sexed 15 year old. But his stories have not been earthshattering in quality or magnitude either.

• Members

Not a huge fan of current day comics, but I did buy the re-print version of the classic Dark phoenix saga. Amazing!

By the way, I know this is the OT forum, but did anyone ACTUALLY read the GL comic? lol.

Archived