Hey Kids! Comics!

kade

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm enjoying the mindless pop-corn action of WWH but have no idea how they can justify having Hulk in like every Marvel book for the next six months...the first crossovers (Ghost Rider and Heroes For Hire were hit and miss with the GR one being cool and the H4H one sucking so badly), Haven't read WWH:X-Men yet...

Kade

• Members

It's odd when Ramos showed up on that Wolverine arc during Civil War I hated his art but suddenly one day I just loved him...can't get enough of him on Carey's X-Men title! It's TOTALLY not the style I'm used to or into but I like it!

Kade

• Members

Guiding Light was the show I watched all during the mid-to-late 90's and early 00's...that comic was one of the worst things ever...EVER! LOL!

I have to agree dude that those Dark Phoenix issues are classic. I read them all in bits and pieces but recently over the past year got the Essential series reprints and got into them from the start with issue 94 and Giant Size X-Men 1...what an amazing read that's been, currently starting the last volume...they need to get more out there fast before I finish but having seen the Essential sked there's no new X-titles in the works as of yet! :(

Kade

• Members

How much do I love Wednesdays! New comics day baby! This week I'm most excited about Green Lantern picking up where the sold-out Sinestro Corps special left off...also there's JSA, the new Green Arrow mini (man that looks pretty and it's Judd Winnick free), a Deadpool/GLI special that'll be giggle worthy, Claremont rocking Exiles and New Excaliber, more who can you trust in New Avengers, more World War Hulk in Gamma Corps (not sure about that one), and surprise new faves Nova and Punisher War Journal...if nobody caught it in single form Uncle Sam And The Freedom Fighters is out today in trade form, one of my faves from last year...also camp-tastic Showcase Presents Batgirl is out, I have so many of these phone book sized books stacked up to read but keep buying more...my list closes out with another issue of Countdown (not sold yet), X-Factor, and modern classic Fables! May pick up Sub-Mariner as well...never bothered to read the ugly looking first issue last week but I love the character.

Kade

• Members

I started back in the 70s. Marvel was kicking DC's tail, because the inside content was great. All DC could do was have these stunt covers. One of which showed a cemetary with two gravestones: One that said Bruce Wayne, and the the other said Batman, sitting side by side. When you read the story, it had nothing to do with the cover.

Then I really got into it in the 90s, with the Death Of Superman, The World Without A Superman, and the Reign Of The Supermen. It stopped reading that one when they killed off Clark Kent, so Superman and his family could go into hiding. I also read JLA, Spiderman and dabbled in Batman, especially the graphic novels, the best of which was when he did battle with The Predator in Gotham City.

So, could anyone recommend any of the current titles? I'd like to get back into them.

And also, for any Superman fans, the DVD of Superman battling Doomsday hits stores September 18th. It is taken dirrectly from the DOS, WWAS & TROTS storylines.

• Members

I used to be into them and manga as a kid, but got back into them in 2005 when I started working at the call centre.

I would highly recomend Captain America. Of the titles I started getting into back in 2005 when I got back into comics, Captain America is the only one that's still holding me and still forcing me to buy it every month instead of downloading CBRs like I've started with others. Even after the death of Steve Rogers, the book is still going strong with Winter Soldier/Bucky Barnes proving he's just as capible of leading the title.

Amazing Spider-Man is OK, but has suffered through the last year heavily because of Marvel not letting JMS write his Spider-Man stories. The Other was a huge flop, and the drawn out civil war storyline went no where - just like the main Civil War book. I'm enjoying Back in Black, but its just not the same.

Batman was what got me back into reading comics. Red Hood was just revealed to be Jason Todd, and then he went to war with Batman and Black Mask. It was heaven. Then they ruined it for me when the did this One Year Later thing (I don't follow DC's storylines, I'm not a big DC fan aside from Batman). From there, its just been an assortment of random stories that I dont feel have really gone anywhere. Harvey Dent went back to being Two-Face and hasnt been seen since as far as I know, there was that Grotesk thing, the Grant Morrison stories involving Joker and Damian have been good, but spaced out between filler stories killing the momentum.

I wont rehash X-Men, we've already discussed IMO it's decent back into the pits of hell it was in the late 90s. Astonishing is still entertaining, but bimonthly is killing it.

If you really want to get into current books, I'd recomend picking up / "obtaining" some of the recent trades, rather than the monthlys. Grant Morrison's New X-Men run, Batman's Hush, Under The Hood, possibly the War Drums/Games/Crimes books.

• Members

70's Marvel is just amazing, I read both of them but I am always in awe of Marvel during that time...

Right now the biggest and best title I feel is Captain America as well, starting with a re-launch in 04 by Ed Brubaker the series is on fire, very soon there is an omnibus (think it's like 75.00) that includes all the books since the re-launch (25 monthlies plus some specials that came out and tied into it), my favorite books from Marvel include Cap, Iron-Fist (seriously, this is one hell of a re-launch), and Daredevil (which is on the level of the 80's Frank Miller stuff in my opinon), all three books are written by Ed Brubaker.

I also am really into the X-titles but they've been debated earlier in this thread! Seems to be a big split down the middle between loving, liking, and hating them! LOL...with me in the loving catagory! :)

From DC there is a fantastic revival of both The Justice League Of America and The Justice Society Of America. Both are under a year old and easily obtainable, both are amazing! Novelist Brad Metzler is doing JLA and fan favorite Geoff Johns is doing JSA. They both recently completed a five or six part cross-over with the 80's Legion Of Super-Heroes (don't ask! LOL!), Teen Titans (one of my all-time faves) is about to start kicking butt again with issue 50 when all the former super-star writer/artists that have worked on the series in the past come back to celebrate the series and set off a new team that looks to be great...DC also had the best single issue comic I've seen in years in Green Lantern: The Sinestro Corps War which shipped last month and continues into yesterday's issue of Green Lantern...amazing gorgeous fun big screen stuff.

Other great titles out there if you're looking for the big guys include Ultimate Spider-Man, a one-stop alt-universe Spidey that is the best of the Spidey books going, easy to get back issue trades and fantastic month after month, in the regular Marvel U Amazing Spider-Man is about to start a new 3 x a month shipping sked cancelling the other two Spidey books and forcing you to buy three copies of the parent title...where nothing good is going on...Aunt May lays dying, Peter's un-masked himself, and he's back in the black costume after getting these new gross true spider powers during an event called "The Other", as Drew said Morrison's Batman is good but it ships very ir-regularly and that has all but killed the momentum in the parent title BUT Detective Comics is doing a great done in one run with Paul Dini from the cartoon Batman series writing some great stuff (it also suffers but not as badly from fill-ins), Superman is better than he's ever been...All-Star Superman is DC's version (sort of) to Marvel's Ultimate line and it's amazing and while late sometimes DOESN'T ship fill-ins (there is an All-Star Batman book that most hate but I love), in the Action Comics title Richard Donner from the Superman movies of the 70's/80's is writing an amazing story about the movies version of The Phantom Zone villians running wild and it's amazing (but again with the fill-ins), and finally over at the Superman parent title Kurt Busiak is kicking butt with a storyline called "Camelot Falls"...

Hope some of this helps!

Kade

• Members

Thank you both for those suggestions! :D

It's hard to get back into them becuase I don't want to buy a comic right in the middle of a story. I think, IMO, it was a bad idead to reveal PP is the one who is Spiderman. I think it was becuase of shock and awe, but I don't read it, so i can't say for sure, you know?

• Members

I tried to take that into consideration when mentioning things for you...over at DC All-Star Superman and All-Star Batman are both like at 8 and 5 issues and take place outside of continuity so they're an easy slide into, same with the JLA and JSA revivals, both of them are less than ten issues and are easily available...Captain America is traded up and easy to get into, Iron-Fist (trust me this is genius stuff) is at issue six and about to issue it's first trade, with just The Sinestro Corps War Special and this week's Green Lantern, you're in easily...Teen Titans 50 out next month is a great jump-on, Uncanny X-Men is two issues into a new arc, X-Men 200 started a new arc there (although it's deep with what's been going on more than my other suggestions but I freaking LOVED the issue and where things are going so I mentioned it!), In September or October the Spider-titles align for JMS's one last run called "One More Day", it's rumoured to be fixing all the messes that are currently killing the Spider-line...

Revealing Pete as Spidey was part of the company wide Civil War cross-over, The New Warriors were indirectly responsible for the deaths of a lot of kids and the government demanded that super-heroes register and be trained (New Warriors were teens and un-trained) so Iron-Man (Tony Stark) took one side (pro-registration) and Steve Rogers (Cap) took the other, Stark pushed Pete to reveal himself on nationwide TV setting off all kinds of hell for Pete, MJ, and Aunt May culminating in May's being shot, MJ going underground, Peter switching sides and going back to the black costume...hey! You're up to speed now! LOL!

Daredevil, Superman, Action, Detective, and Batman sadly are all knee deep in tons of continuity right now and would require a bit more to just jump on!

It's honestly a GREAT time to be reading comics, since about summer 04 things have turned around! The bad taste alot of books left in my mouth in the late 90's is gone! :)

Kade

• Members

LOL! MOST of the JLA you read are all dead...it's quite upsetting to alot of 90's fans...Maxwell Lord, Blue Beetle, they're gone (Maxwell killed Booster and then Wonder Woman broke Lord's neck when he took control of Superman...good stuff actually), for a while it looked like Ice and Booster were gone but (through the magic of comics) they're back...Mary Marvel is turning bad...that group from back then is a mess these days! :)

Kade

• Members

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman (Princess Diana), Black Canary (leader), Green Lantern (Hal Jordan), Red Tornado, Vixen, Black Lightning, Hawkgirl (Kendra Saunders), Red Arrow (Roy Harper), with Flash (Wally West) and Geo-Force showing up but not officially added yet.

The current writer is kicking all kinds of a**, seriously it and Justice Society (which are crossing back and forth over) are what they should be, the cream of DC's crop. Both are less than a year old and have multiple printings and trades so all issues should be easy to find if you are interested.

Kade

• Members

Justice Society these days is...Flash (Jay Garrick), Green Lantern (Alan Scott), Wildcat, Wildcat II, Liberty Belle, Hourman, Damage, Stargirl, Cyclone, Power Girl (leader), Doctor Mid-Nite, Commander Steele, Mister Teriffic, and Starman (from the 1980's Legion Of Super-Heroes series)

Teen Titans (another team I just love) is Robin (Tim Drake), Wonder Girl (Cassie), Supergirl, Kid Devil, Ravenger, Miss Martian, and the new Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes)...rumour has it the recently killed Superboy (Conner Kent) is coming back...hope so he's been my all-time favorite character since way back!

Kade (a walking wikipedia when it comes to comics! LOL!)

Archived