AMC: Do you think the new head writers will turn AMC around?

• Members

I was wondering. When the new head writers start do you think they will turn AMC around?

I think so. Many viewers will be watching the first day the show records their writing. If they can grab viewers I think that AMC will be able to rise, not just ratings but quality! I am hoping that AMC will take a turn for the BEST! I also hope that with the new head writers they can bring back some old favorite vets like Brooke. I am really hoping that AMC will be great!! :)

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To answer your question, no. I say that with great regret, because I know first-hand B&E's track record and their ability to repeat past mistakes over and over again. Their success trajectory can even be compared to that of McTavish. Usually, they start off with a bang for the first six months to a year, then everything dwindles into one big plot-driven mess. I'll always appreciate all they did their first year on GL with crazy Annie and the Philip/Harley pairing, but nothing after that. They drove PC into the ground and made the show thoroughly un-watchable by the end. The fact that they even got this job is a testament to the fact that JHC loves hooking up her friends, even when she's such a lazy and horrible EP who wouldn't know true taste if it knocked on her door. They might surprise me, but I wouldn't bank on that.

• Members

Anybody who tunes in and expects big changes on the first day won't be satisfied, I don't think. You can't expect them to come in and, in one day, completely turn the show around. It needs to be gradual. If I became the show's HW, I wouldn't go there and immediately fire half of the cast because they are unnecessary. It needs to be done gradual.

• Members

I am nervous, simply because of the ego that's clearly involved. Richard Culliton was brought in to "save" the show after McTavish and then Passanante ran it into the ground -- and it became the Greenlee and Leo hour with cartoonish sitcom writing all around.

Then McTavish was brought BACK in to "save" the show -- and, well... <_<

Now those two are brought in to "save" the show, and with quotes like this:

"It's a big story," Esensten said. "It interweaves everybody on the canvas. Everybody has an interest in what happens during this event.
But I'll tell you this much: It's not going to be an explosion or a serial killer."

"We're retiring serial killers for awhile," Brown added with a chuckle.

:rolleyes: I'm not too impressed. Stop taking jabs at the previous head writer as if your shit don't stink (considering Megan hasn't written two shows into cancelation, they should just be quiet and be thankful they have the job) and just focus on getting the show back on track. It's cute that B&E are trying to play up to the fans and critics who hate McTavish, but at this point, a lot of us would rather hear what they ARE going to do -- not what they're NOT going to do. If we need a good McTavish bashing, there are plenty of fans perfectly qualified, willing and able to do the job. What we are NOT able to do is head write the show, so... get to it. Don't tell us about "Big Story," but tell us about long term vision... goals... ideas... Where do they see the show this time next year?

But noooo... First interview out the box, and they're filled with buzz words, cliches and a haughty McTavish jab.

Like I said, they need to concentrate on the fact that they're two head writers who have TWO canceled ABC soaps under their belt -- and how they can use this show to prove those of us who are very dubious of their skills wrong.

• Members

I am less than thrilled with their first spoilers for the upcoming storylines that they have planned. The catastraphe that is Rylee, the Ava/Jonathan/Lily triangle (yuck), the further destruction of Ryan, and the upcoming Spike storyline. Not anything that would interest me in watching AMC again. I just don't think AMC will improve until Carruthers and/or Frons is fired.

I also feel that so many core characters have been lost the past few years that AMC has lost a lot of that family feel with characters who have a lot of history with the show. Maybe if the new writers can rebuild and bring back key characters like Brooke, David or Jake Martin, the show might improve but I ain't holding my breath. I just don't think Frons will allow them to make those kinds of improvements.

• Members

Honestly, I have no idea. B&E's track record is sketchy to say the least. if they're willing to fix AMC as opposed to just band aid it and move on, then I think there's a real chance. But if they just patch up the holes the Megan left, I thnk AMC is doomed. That's not to say that they have to or even should address all of the plot [!@#$%^&*] that Megan did. It's more that they need to take the approach that it didn't work. MMT screwed up and it needs to be fixed. And fix it.

I want to have hope, but until they make me trust them, I don't. :(

• Members

Interesting point Kylie. Maybe if they forget any ideas, storylines, directions, etc. that McTavish wanted to go and just start from scratch. Slowly move away from everything that McTrash has done over the years. Bring back characters she ruined. Put a stop to certain pairings and move characters on to different people. Maybe even get rid of the unabortion. No more baby/pregnancy storylines.

I think AMC has gotten really stale and stagnant. These new writers need to come in with a fresh vision and new ideas for the show. Maybe end Fusion or start a rival company. Bring back more females over the age of thirty. Bring Jake Martin back and pair him with Greenlee or pair Greenlee with JR or Aidan. Something different and exciting. Break up Zendall and let kendall be a single mother starting a new company or something. Soaps about drama, angst, and change and AMC doesn't have any of the right now, IMHO.

• Members

^ IMO, it's to late to change Josh. I'd give both of my arms to see that happen, but it's been a year and half, it's just been to long. But they can handle Josh the way Megan should of. Tell us who he is. Tell us what Greg Madden did. Don't preech. Don't whitewash. F*cking deal with it. Tell the audience, that this story was botched and that it can be salvaged. I won't be watching, but there is definite potential to fix, rather then pretend and move on.

The same can be done with the other crap and holes that Megan left. IMO, whitewashing, pretending that the last two years never happened, and just excusing it and moving on, only leaves the door open for more of hte same. And I don't see how that kinda of attitude is going to get the fans that Megan drove away to trust them long enough to reinvest.

B&E have the chance to make a real difference, really turn things around. I don't know if I believe they will. I want too. But I just don't know.

• Members

I am not saying pretend that the last few years haven't happened but slowly move away from the direction McTrash was going in. As far as Josh is concerned, all they have to do with him is just have him leave town and then mention him every couple years. They wrote off Trey, Kendall's other brother, and he is distant memory. Take three to six months to wrap up those things, put closure on storylines, and move AMC back to what it should be. Do different storylines, pairings, businesses, etc.

I just don't have a lot of confidence in these new writers at this point. With their track record and with what other posters have said about them, I am worried about what AMC will become. I guess time will tell but I still can't bring myself to watch a show that I once loved so dearly.

• Members

I have faith in B&E. The final eyar of Loving and The year and a half of The City was very compelling and I enjoyed most of it and the first bit of their GL tenure was just absolutely riveting with the Annie storyline. Where they seemed to lose their way is with network driven storytelling (Reva's clone and the supernatural arcs on Port Charles)

I don't put them in the same lot as McTavish. I am optimistic lets say. Anything is better than what we endured under the final 2 years of McTavish's last stint and I am looking at it that way. They seem to want to put the focus of the show back to core characters from what I am hearing. There first major storyline revolves around Zach/Kendall and Jack/Erica and to me that's a great start.

We will see how it goes. I am not going to judge until I see at least 3 months because IMO it will take that long to just see where they are really going with their vision.

I have to be optimistic, there is really no other option. I want to desperately believe they can "save" AMC because what else do I and many other long time AMC fans have to lose?

I agree with Kylie that its too late to erase Josh as Erica's son because IMO that would just be another revisionist plot line that we would have to deal with. Just leave him as her son but don't try and prop him and as Kylie said preach.

He seems to have been backburnered recently... maybe that will continue and maybe he is one of the rumored cast cuts which apparently are going to be substantial.

• Members

Eh I dunno.

I hope B&E realize that becoming the Head Writer of AMC they're playing on entirely different kind of playing field here. This isn't THE CITY or PORT CHARLES. This is All My freaking Children. The show has a history of telling character driven and compelling stories. If they realize that, they'll might succeed.

However if the past tells us anything it's that their writing gets old fast; exactly like McTavish's. They start off with a bang (is there such a thing as good plot driven stories?); and go out with a wimper (boring, recylced plot driven stories).

• Members

IMO, we have every reason to be weary. Considering the last two years, the fact that anyone is optimistic is a sign of true faith. I think there's hope, and I think they have a chance to really set a brand new stage for AMC. But so did Culliton and so did MMT and so have a bunch of other writers who have been brought in to save AMC. I want them to have enough faith in us to believe that we can handle them fixing AMC, and not just believe we have the IQ's of shoes and band aid things and move on. If they start doing that, that leaves the door open for them to continue to do so.

I'm sorry, but like my sig says, I'm not ready to forgive yet. I can't and won't forget. And time hasn't yet healed all the wounds that Megan left. I don't know if I ever will be. But I'd like to see this show rebound, be back on top be the sensation it once would. And to do that, B&E need to believe in us, before we can believe in them.

• Members

LOL, so you're saying destroy the ONLY thing on the show that's working? The only thing that actually has been acknowledged by the press, the fans (yes, I know--not ALL fans, but a very decent majority), and the actors as something wildly successful and popular? Hmmm....not such a good idea, it would seem. I think B&E are going to have their hands full with fixing all that has gone wrong over the past few years, and getting back to human, character-driven stories. To destroy the only thing good that came out of McT's reign is clearly not the way to go.

Archived