DAYS: NEW SOD interview Drake Hogestyn

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And the show didn't "spiral out of control" last summer when he was off for 8 weeks. In fact the ratings went UP during the 8 weeks he was off. Maybe the ratings spiral between Feb and May had less to do with who was featured and more to do with how the stories all ground to a screeching halt.

• Members

Both PR and KA were asked in SOD back in March. They knew they would be getting a break but weren't told it would be that lengthy. They heard they had big story coming and were excited but also recognized they have been lucky to have been featured alot over the past few years. There was no bitterness whatsoever on their part. Deidre hasn't said nothing but in the past when she was backburnered she never said anything bitter. For example, in 2004 and 2005 when she was offscreen, she was interviewed and never was bitter in the media. Matt has been interviewed countless times and never acted like Drake has.

• Members

Exactly. Now could say fans knew J&M were coming back so they remained but many J&M fans only tune in for them so they didn't account for the ratings. I think the show needs Dee, not Drake. He is expendable IMO. He is only popular because of Dee. He pretty much was embraced by her fanbase unlike others, including Dee, who built their fanbases on talent.

The show was fine without him and I said it before that the show suffered alot earlier this year from stagnant stories. The balance played a key role but I don't think that alone was enough to get the show a 1.9. I think PR, KA, and Dee are needed. Days can get by without Drake.

• Members

This is the first time in how long, if ever, that John has been off-screen for a long period of time, so for him to act so bitter about it is ridiculous. Especially since he should be incredibly grateful that he's lasted so long in this industry when he is such a mediocre actor.

• Members

I know Deidre was lied to repeatedly. She was told she'd be heavily involved in the Hattie storyline. They just dropped that one suddenly without an explanation. Then she was shoved into a storyline that went completely against Marlena's character (which she worked to change) - which was the Dena Higley stuff in 2003. They were taken off the frontburner by Higley in May/June of 2003, but brought back quickly because of fan outrage. She was on fairly regularly in late 2003/early 2004 with the serial killer stuff, and was frontburner - at which point the show was doing better in the ratings (call it a coincidence, it still happened). Then Marlena was killed off in May, sent to Melaswen and backburner until July/August next year. In October 2004, while Deidre was working on the campaign for Kerry because she wasen't given anything to do, Corday said in the mags that Deidre had asked for time off for personal reasons, which Deidre then responded to in the mags saying it wasen't true. She didn't ask for time off, and wasen't sure what was going on. That fall I belive, she was promised and thus, promised fans, that we would be getting some amazing stuff when they made it back to Salem. Marlena was on maybe once or twice a month the next six months (October 2004 until April 2005). Then Wayne's return was announced, and of course she was thrilled about that (they're buds). She was promised the amnesia storyline which would be a true John & Marlena love story (anyone remember how excited the fans were who came back from her event? She must have told them some great stuff). We all know how that turned out (which she said later was a disappointment). Then there was the infamous Chatgate and working with a guy who said he was working against her. Then of course, after that ended, she was forced on vacation (which she didn't mind in part because of the divorce).

Yep, I'd say he's not the only one who was lied to. She has plenty of reason to complain, and I'm sure Peter and Kristian do too.

You know what, he does have a reason to complain, but interviews every week three or four weeks in a row is just unnecessary IMO.

• Members

He's said several times in the past that he's only still here because she (DH) chose him to be John Black in 1986. I have to agree. He wouldn't be on the show without her approval, and he wouldn't still be here if it wasen't for his pairing with her.

I have to agree. I love John & Marlena, but their popularity stems from her popularity.

• Members

Exactly!

And Dee flourishes when she's not with him. I may be one of the few that think that, but when she's with John, she turns into a mushy love starved wife. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I want the Dr. Marlena Evans of yesterday, the spunky woman who was strong and independent.

Being paired with Drake has reduced her charm and talent in my opinion. There is a reason the woman was nominated for two Daytime Emmys. She has the chops when given the right story and being paired with the right person.

Drake simply drags her down.

She deserves better.

• Members

Your not the only one. I love her much better away from John. The times we saw her while John was in a coma were great. People forget that in the 90's J&M were mostly apart and we had the fiesty and formidable Marlena. We saw that in the fall and while John was in a coma in spring but lately we don't have it.

I like John and used to like Drake but no more. I want his ego to go now. Days and Dee don't need him.

• Members

Early Dee and Wayne was Marlena at her best.

And Dee with Eileen was great.

I'm just happy that when we do see Marlena now, she is getting back to her old self. Now if only we could see that on a regular basis...

• Members

Like I said, Days should have Dee go beg Wayne to return. They are close and maybe he will return on recurring or something. Drake has nothing on Wayne in the acting department and I would love to see Wayne's Roman and Marlena reunite. I am through with Drake. He was always known as a team player but his past few interviews have shown his true colors. I am sick of him.

• Members

Soaps are ensemble undertakings. No one person makes or breaks a series. If Drake leaves the show, it will go on. Just like countless important actors who left before him, the hourglass hasn't run out yet. That's why I love the fluid nature of soaps; it continues to evolve.

Someone up the thread mentioned KA, PR and Deidre and how they're essential. All three of those actors have left the series at one time or another and the show didn't crumble then, either. Surely, we can debate about the quality at that time, but even then it's subjective and opinionated. In any case, no one actor has the power to make Days crumble. If they did, it would have happened by now.

• Members

"The storyline was stretched out to five months of inactivity."

WOW. That is a HUGE diss.

If I were Hogan, I'd be PISSED.

(Don't kill him off, Hog, just be pissed!)

But see, he's saying -- without necessarily saying -- that THE SHOW, not John's coma, and John, are defined by "inactivity."

Archived