DAYS: NEW SOD interview Drake Hogestyn

• Members

Sorry the title is wrong in subject title line, the interview is in the new Soap Opera Weekly

Here are some excerpts of the new SOW Interview with Drake Hogestyn

How is it being back after playing comatose since December?

Well, I'm looking forward to resurrecting the character of John Black. Obviously, that's going to be left solely up to the head writer. I'm curious to see what he has in store.

Did you know the length of this story before it began?

I wasn't aware of how long the coma was going to last. It was indicted to me by the one of the producers back in November that they were excited about this storyline and this was what was planned; "You're going to be shot. We don't know if it's going to be in the head or the stomach, but there will be oxygen deprivation of some type and its going to lead to a coma. We'll do dream escape sequences, and you'll be in a coma. for about two months." Stories change, as you know, and sometimes other stories take precedence. Evidently that is what happened. The storyline was stretched out to five months of inactivity.

What's it been like waking up and returning to the forefront?

Coming back, I saw the difference in attitude here, I didn't feel an intensity. But we're turning the corner now, I can see it. I can't feel the intensity on the set changing. The stakes have been upped. It takes time. Shows go in cycles.

Have there been any fun moments working again with Joseph Mascolo or Thaoo Penghlis?

I'm not in the business of fun right now. I'm not here to fart around. I'm not here to laugh and scratch and do this and that. I'll leave that to someone else. I'm here to bring the show back up to where it belongs. I'm not used to being with a show that's spiraling out of control. My job is come out with a sense urgency and professionalism. That's all I bring to the table.

On a happier note, the brunt of that ordeal is behind you and you're back to doing real work at Days. Can you give us any clue as to what's coming up?

Deidre was saying something about love on the beach. So I'm looking forward to that, and I'm sure the fans will be too. Hopefully, there will be an emotional payoff there. There has to be some kind of consummation of not being together for such a long period of time, so that it hasn't just been the black-hole come for five months. This goes way back. It's been over a year's time now with he debacle of the story that was Alex North and Roman/Kate/John/Alex/Marlena thing. the waters got so muddy during that period of time. I can look back and say that maybe this black hole coma was a good thing, just to let the waters settle and then start fresh. I'm back refreshed. I feel great. My sleeves are rolled up. Now I just want to see this show get back where it should be.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I definitely see the sense of "I am the power that will help resurrect this show".

I agree with people here that Drake may not be the greatest but he is a DAYS icon, he's been on the show for 20 years (and not all front burner as everyone says, John's role has beem muddled since 1999 barring the brief SSK nonsense). And given the way the show's ratings dropped so rapidly (which IMO had to do with a lack of balance and bad writing along with the lack of vets) I can see why he feels HE is the one. But I also think he's silly to feel like he is the power. Viewers will not tune in just to see John Black. They want a good story with John Black and the rest of the cast. If his return to the front doesn't work out I guess it means Drake and John are gone for good.

• Members

First off, this interview was in an issue of SOD back in May. It was the week John woke up. The only mention of Drake in this week's issue is the mention that was made in the SOD thread for Days spoilers this week.

Nevertheless. I have lost all respect for Drake. He thinks the show can't survive without him. If he doesn't change his attitude. I say kill him off this summer and beg Wayne Northrup to return as Roman. They can then pair Deidre with him. I am sick of this.

• Administrator

To be fair though, Drake is one of the few who can "save" the show. He has been with the show since 1986 and has been part of some of the most successful/biggest storylines in the past 20 years. Also he has one of the biggest fanbases.

As for Drake being sour, I think I'd be too if I've been a team player for the past 20 years and then was lied to. Also, getting attacked by a crazy person doesn't help.

• Members

Which is precisely why he should be classier than most newbies and/or non fan favorites. Fair or not, he is held to a higher standard in the eyes of the fans, and he is acting no better than a child who is denied a toy that they want when out shopping with their mommies.

• Members

I agree Toups but PR, KA, and Dee all were backburnered too and kept their mouth shut and didn't complain at all. Dee has been backburnered on and off since 1997 while Drake was giving much more screentime. RJ and JR hardly got anything until 2000 and never said a word. Matt Ashford got fired 3 times, killed 3 times in 3 years onscreen and still came back for 3 episodes and has not came out to the media with the same bitterness as Drake. The way he is going about this is very egotistical and he comes off like an ass. If he came out and simply said he was unhappy with what was done and wants reassurance of direction for his character and so on, then fine. What he is doing has ruined him in my eyes. I have to wonder if even the J&M aren't happy about this.

Drake has been lucky enough to be featured prominently for almost all of his career up until last summer. I beleive it was even noted that last July was the first month since he started with the show that he didn't appear. He has never really been backburnered like this before up until last summer and recently and that is what makes his whining even more laughable when others have went through it much more.

• Administrator

The show was "spiraling out of control" and he is there to "bring the show back up to where it belongs."

So, yeah, he's right. LOL

For DAYS to be successful, you need Drake. He's a key part.

Archived