Oh No! One Life to Live Character Will Die Off Screen

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm sorry but IK is far from a core character who has earned airtime. She's a very funny character, but she is far from an MVP or core character. She has only been on the show a little over five years, and there was never any design to make her a central figure. She was brought on for one storyline. In fact, she is less senior than Kamar and David Fumero, and she is equal to Kathy Brier and JPL. The fact that some character is older, hardly makes them a vet. I do think they need to use the others, particularly Timoth Stickney much better. I would like to see Roxie in a story, but it's not a sin that she isn't.

As far as PC, it would have been nice to give him a contract with a very small guarantee. He really can't be on every day. As far as Frances Reid, I think it is great that she remains on contract. It is respectful. Now bottom line folks, PC's character is not an original character on the show and Alice is an original character on Days. The historical roots of the two characters is significantly different. In fact, PC was added to the show in response to Clint hooking into the Lord bloodline. However, I think it would have been nice to give PC the same type deal that Frances Reid has, and I might add, you can count the number of times she appears each year on your fingers. Keeping her on contract and having her appear some as the moral center of the show is respectful.

It has been a very very very long time since Asa has been able to carry this show. All the great nostalgia in the world doesn't change that.

The really pathetic thing about Dan G. and Heather Tom being let go is that both played central characters who were part of core families and both were excellent actors who deserved to be treated better.

• Members

Cat Hickland has a new cosmetics company and actually asked Valentini to be not be used. She is a friend and I guarentee you she would have been used, sort of like Frances Reid but thats different.

Bob Woods- Bob woods IS used, and I stand by my statement. Like I said, he hasnt had an actual story because our HW wasn't capable of writing them.

Tim Stickney- Again, Higley did not wish to write for them, and yes he was put on recurring because of it.

Ilene Kristen- NOTHING

Hilary Smith- She was not used very much and she was going through negotiations. Things did not work out until Valentini took his balls back and put his foot down.

Get a grip? Where the hell did that come from?

• Members

Boo hoo.

While its sad to see Asa die, I'd rather him die than be played by someone else.

And if Phil Carey is going to be selfish and not taking recurring when so many in the industry are canned without that option, then I don't feel the least bit sorry for him.

• Members

Why is it that vets are now selfish if they don't take recurring? It's one thing if we're talking Lauren Bregman-recurring or Tanya Boyd-recurring. But this is ABC. It's more like Jennifer Bassey-recurring over there.

And Boo Hoo was meant to be endearing? :rolleyes:

• Members

Phil Carey knew damn well that he wouldnt be able to perform. To take contract money would be selfish. He would be dammed if he did or didnt. He was offered the same money, which essentially meant he could or couldnt have taken the contract and he would have still been set.

Boo hoo was directed at the situation. You told me to get a grip. That statement was directed at me.

• Members

I really don't see this as a shock.... and yes Phil turned down recurring and rightfully so. I am still of the mindset these vets should be kept on contract due to their many years of service whether they can work much or not. Ruth Warrick was still on contract when she died in 2005. I am sure eventually Frons would have taken her off, but still she was there on contract not having worked in any capacity since 2002.

I am glad though we are getting an Asa send off rather them just fade off the canvas never to be mentioned again. For example, Julia Barr's Brooke. She's there 30 years\, declines recurring and Brooke is just there one day, gone the next. As a fan that has watched Brooke and Julia over the years I would have much rather seen a proper end to Brooke's storyline whether it be death or move away or something. This "never mention her name again" b.s is ridiculous.

ABC treats their vets like garbage and will continue to do so but I can see the silver lining here. Asa is getting a send off.

Archived