SOD Headlines

Y&R Cover: Nick's Alive! And There's A New Woman

Pics of Nick, Sharon, Phyllis.

Why DAYS Went Downhill: "I didn't have a choice."

Outrage Over EMMY snubs!

Dustin Hoffman to One Life

SOD Interviews Hogan Sheffer

DAYS' Sheffer on State of the Show- Brief Summary

Sheffer reveals that it was financial reasons why he couldn't write for the big four. "I'be haven't played them much in the last four or five months, for reasons that have more to do with money than anything else. My apologies. I just didn't have a choice." But now Corday Producation and NBC have loosened the purse strings a bit and he is able to tell the stories that he wants to now.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

At least he is speaking.

This doesn't explain why his stories were boring with no progression (or just plain bad as is with Steve and Kayla) but at least it is something. I wonder how Corday will act to the contradictions...

• Members

Well, I think he should have tried to move some of the stories he had(like Shelle), but when you can't do what you want to do when you can't write for who you want to write for. It all comes out a huge mess.

Glad he spoke out, I figured Corday had something to do with it, and I bet he just saw that Hogan's writing for the winter was just fine until the ratings dropped. :rolleyes:

• Members

The budget issues do not correlate, either, with the influx of characters that were paid for a plenty. Gabby and Duck, Willow's brother, etc. Yes they were cheaper, but they were on a lot and paid for accordingly. He could have featured Marlena in key scenes, John in key scenes and feature them less or not at all (really!!) so that stories seemed more cohesive. Hogan can't blame everything on budget issues.

• Members

I know he had to change his plans,but that doesnt give excuses to the mess that happened to the show.basically,Hogan is throwing the blame on Corday who throws the blame on Hogan.I dont really care who'se to blame,I just want a good show.

not all of the writing decision's can be blamed on the money Issue.I guess Hogan isnt what everyone,myself inc. , Made and Hoped him to be.

• Members

Budget issues, my ass! If the budget was so bad, why did they bring on even a single new character? Why did they bring on Gabby and Duck? Jed? Connor? Nu-Stephanie? Nu-original-Phil? Judi Evans as Adrienne?

Corday and Hogan seem to be telling two different stories.

• Members

I think we all can tell something is wrong here, due to the fact Corday said it was a decision on both parts yet Hogan says it was the budget. Who knows, because Corday is known for lying yet I thought there wasn't a budget problem.

Does it even matter anymore?!

• Members

I'm sure airing all five newbies in one episode is cheaper than an episode with Dee. Or very close. I trust Hogan more than Corday, however. Maybe the budget isn't that bad, but Corday was saving money or not giving any slack to Hogan and wanted to see if Hogan could write a decent show without the Fab 4.

Jed and Connor are terrible examples, though, since both were recurring, cheap, and hardly aired (Connor played more than some background extras). Duck was barely on, and Joy Bisco was on the show for one story arc, which always happens.

• Members

Yeah.

I guess it's the "budget" that's making Hogan write Kate, Lucas and Billie off the show.

On this one, I don't buy Hogan's story. He's been totally 100% SILENT up until very recently,

which makes me suspect that there was a moment where his job was on the line a few weeks

back. That's why Esentsen/Brown were brought in as Editors.

If you notice how Marlena's penthouse was sold and how the BIG FOUR are now on the show,

but without any real character devel. like Nick and Chelsea are given, then you will see that Hogan

plain doesn't enjoy writing for the BIG FOUR.

Nick is Hogan's boy. That's his fave character, and over the next five months, he's going to break

up Nick and Chelsea to focus squarely on building Nick into a character study by himself.

Jett and Jeremy have also been brought on with major summer storylines and they're NOBODYS!

I'm not buying Hogan on this one.

• Members

I'm glad that they've brought Dee/Drake/Kristian/Peter to the frontburner (even if he doesn't write them with the same individual characterizastions at he does Nick/Chelsea) and that they've brought Joe Mascolo/Renee Jones/etc. back to the show, but if they have to get rid of some people in the fall to even out the budget, I'd much prefer letting go of several newbies before they even think of touching Lauren Koslow/Kate. In fact, I prefer Koslow to Renee Jones, so if it came right down to it, give Jones the axe again! They just need to leave my Kate alone, damn it! LoL

Archived