SOD: June19, 2007 Issue

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Someone else said it (Kenny, I think), but you can still write good stories on the cheap. And, I'm sorry, no way was Sheffer so locked into a plan that he couldn't come up with better storylines. Even if we assume he had a nice, tight thing developed for the vets- the four that were backburnered- they wouldn't be in every story (though I guess it's possible- Marlena could go with Shawn/Belle to the island, John could hang with Sami, and Hope/Bo could be all up in Chelsea/Nick, right? that's totally plausible, because it was so the pattern before Corday came in with the budget news...). He'd have to have had a B and C storyline all developed, too, and the show didn't reflect that.

I mean, the whole show wouldn't collapse the way it did because you can't use four people, and if it did that's just bad writing, imho.

I'm also kind of surprised that Sweeney is so inexpensive to use, 'cause she didn't get shunted to the backburner for a while like the others.

NBC's totally missing out though- apparently the behind-the-scenes is still really interesting if they'll snipe at each other in the press. Why is this not a reality show?

• Members

And not with NBC as your network. :lol:

Is it time for this show to finally get a new executive producer? It's almost like NBC made Corday pay for firing James Reilly. My response to that, if it's true, is good riddance!

This show is enjoyable again, more so than it was earlier this decade. Now that Bo/Hope/John/Marlena are back front and center and Tony/Stefano are involved in story, it feels like the old show.

• Members

I need to go and buy the June 19th issue of SOD. I knew it! I knew the past few months was not Hogan's style. The fact that he had to change his stories quickly and backburner the big 4 raised so many red flags.

I believe that Corday had interferred all along. How is it that Corday "opened up his purse strings" and gave Hogan more budget to write for the vets? This whole thing screamed Corday. If he had only let Hogan do his thing, Days would be in a better position today. Right now, Days is doing so well. I've been saying this for a while now that it seems like Corday and Co. finally untied the ropes on Hogan's hands and let him write.

This latest SOD interview really confirmed what I believed all these months. I'm glad Hogan finally cleared the air. I do like his jab at Corday though. I believe in Hogan and I loved what he did with ATWT. I was dumbfounded about the bad results Days had the past few months. I couldn't believe how Hogan could do so well on another similar soap and "fail" on this one. Well, my question's been finally answered through the man himself.

Hogan did make another comment that hinted Corday overrules him. He uses the word "hopefully" when mentioning romance for this summer. Uusually HW's don't say hopefully or maybe. They either confirm or deny flat out. In this SOD interview, Hogan mentions that nowadays the higher ups cut things out of the show a lot. So, I believe Corday and the higher ups really messed with the writing pot from January to April. I watched ATWT under Hogan's pen during his entire reign and it couldn't divert that much. I knew something was up and I've always believed Hogan was forced into a situation where his hands were tied.

It's obvious that no matter how much creative control HW's can have, their BOSSES can overrule them at any time. Hogan must have had detailed plans and the higher ups threw them all out. If Hogan didn't have a plan B, I can see why the show suffered as badly as it did.

I bet Corday will backtrack. Isn't that what he's infamous for, other than screwing up the show? How much can the higher ups fool us? Why are they even lying when we call them out on it?

• Members

I am so happy Hogan finally spoke out.

I read the full interview and it is pretty clear that he hated writing what we saw from January-April. So many of us suspected this and the fact that Hogan came out and confirmed it is good enough for me to take it as truth. Hogan was so excited when he took over and all of a sudden he stopped talked in January and the show took a hit. It's pretty clear Hogan didn't enjoy himself. Now I know one could say that it's a HW's job to be professional and keep things interesting even if he or she is being forced to write something but, if your heart isn't in it, it won't come off well no matter how hard one tries. That is what happened. I read the interview and Hogan is excited. He mentioned how much he loves writing for the vets and how he watched tapes of the 80's and it helped increase his emotional connection to the show. He wants to base this summer off that and, if that happens, watch out. If Hogan is excited and talking to the media, it will be good just like last Fall. You can tell Hogan and Corday have some tension there so it will be interesting to see what happens there.

As for Hogan playing favorites, he said in the beginning he loved the character of Sami and he loved MBE so I fully believe the Steve/Kayla and Sami/Lucas stories were his. However, I do think he was going to use the vets much more in those stories and that would've made those stories better. He couldn't use them and the stories suffered. Chelsea/Nick was all him too and that was probably in his original plan and that is why that story came out solid for the most part. Even if Hogan loves Kayla and Sami, he still used the vets perfectly right off the bat so I don't think who he likes has any bearing on anything we have seen. I think it was all Corday plain and simple.

Hogan is excited and I just loved his dig at Corday for allowing him to bring the Dimera's back. Hopefully, we can move on from earlier this year and focus on the greatness of the present.

• Members

I know nothing. I'm frigid.

But I think DAYS is really stupid to let Sheffer go at this moment.

Even dumber to ax Steve Wyman.

I get the distinct feeling that people are "quitting" because they don't want to go

down with a losing ship, and as a stand-alone soap and no support from the network,

that's what this is.

Shame they're scared of controversy.

(Mystery lips...blowing out candle)

Archived