SOD: June19, 2007 Issue

• Members

Wasn't Marlena's Penthouse taken away to bring back Doug's Place? They are the same set, right?

Why does Hogan need to develop the vets? They have already been developed and back in the Fall I did see him trying to make Marlena not so much of a damsel in distress any more. The vets don't need anymore changing of their attitudes, that has been done enough. With Hogan's writing we have seen the old Hope.

Nick and Chelsea are the ones who NEED development, because Chelsea was horrible under JER and Hogan has really made them likeable.

Of course Nick is probably one of Hogan's favorites. It's his character! All writers, myself included when I write my blog, are more attached to their characters than others, for the most part. Now you have to understand it is not a good idea to do that but I love Nick. Hogan writes him very well so I don't really care how much he is on the frontburner or not, though I do want balance.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

where are all of Hogan's plans for Kate? or Lumi as the funny couple of the show? is this all the fault of corday or the budget cuts? I'm not on Corday's side,but Hogan is alot to blame for the mess the show has been these months.

and re:Kate.give her a storyline of her own,that doesnt involve her children's love life! why just waste her? ugh.

• Members

I think Kate deserves a story. I hope Hogan can think of something for her, and I would like her to be involved in the Brady/DiMera reveal because of her history with Stefano.

I liked what King did in his blog and made her Megan Hathaway's mother. I think that might be a good idea, and then imagine what Kate would do when Stefano tells her Hope killed Megan and he's wanted revenge on them?! That would be FANTASTIC to expand upon IMO.

• Members

Wow....We have been saying this for MONTHS!!! When we'd blame financial reasons we were accused of not "defending the hack." People wondered why he didn't say anything...many SONers said that when he did finally speak, the truth would come out.

If you have a 6 month plan, and then someone screws with your 6 month plan in a major way (yet other things that may have been planned were to continue), the show is going to suffer.

Many have given their theory that the plan was to "train" the viewers to get used to watching DAYS without the big 4, that way when it came time for renewal, and if they needed to make budget cuts, the big 4 could be the first to go. I stand by that theory.

With the salary that Drake (or Diedre) make, you could probably hire about 6-9 new characters. If Corday is playing games with the purse strings, but still wants new characters (younger characters), then that's what he'll get.

Thank god he realized that contrary to what he may want, DAYS fans want and need the Big 4 on.

The stories weren't bad, they just weren't what many fans wanted. I'm sure Hogan's intention was not to put John in a coma for 6 months...

No one really knows what's going on, but he has validated what many fans were speculating about. People will accuse him of blaming Corday and not accepting responsibility for what "he did".

We'll see how the stories are now that he's doing what he wanted to do, and writing for characters he spent months promoting in interviews.

• Members

Exactly! Thank you! Alot of us(including me) felt it was the budget and Corday, and soon after Corday spoke I began to believe it was Corday, but now I see alot of people, like Phoenix for example, were right when we thought it was the budget.

Obviously everything is not being said, because we do know something's not right with contradicting statements. But since it has never been proven Hogan is a liar, I'll go with him. Corday has lied before, I'm sure he has done it yet again.

• Members

I don't know why people are focusing on his budget comment. I think it's much clearer that this is a veiled swipe at Corday, and his interference. "But now Corday Producation and NBC have loosened the purse strings a bit."

I think it's clear that without those four key players, the stories he was telling suffered majorly and the stagnation was caused by this. Their absence probably made Hogan have to bring other characters in to fill in the gaps as best he could. Not in every case, certainly. It's obvious that his heart wasn't in the early part of the year, compared to October - December, save for maybe Nick/Chelsea.

• Members

I'm just wondering how many actors will have to be fired in the fall in order to accommodate Dee/Drake/Peter/Kristian returning to the frontburner and Stefano/Lexie/Anna/Tony/etc returning.

I can think of eight people immediately who need to go before they even think of touching any of the characters I love. Jeremy, Jett, Phillip, Adrienne, Bart, Rolf, Tony, nu-Stephanie...

• Members

I think you're absolutely right. It was clear to me that Hogan was forced to change his direction quickly, and that would have put all his storylines in jeopardy. He seemed to have a clear direction and well thought out plans when he first came on board, but after just a few months everything was changed. If the EP comes to the HW and says "we have no money to use John and Marlena and Bo and Hope so sorry about all your stories; come up with something else", what can he do? The budget problems could even have been a lie Corday used to get what he wanted, who knows? I just think a lot of things that have happened have been beyond Hogan's control. I don't even blame him for Lumi seeming to fizzle out, despite him saying that he loved them and was going to give them great story. He rushed them back together and seemed to be heading them in a new direction, but I think the chemistry between Sami and EJ forced a change. Anyone who has ever written fiction knows that sometimes your characters can develop a mind of their own and take you in a whole new direction from what you originally planned.

• Members

If Hogan is able to tell the stories he "wants to tell" now, why is it still all about Sami, Sami, Sami?

Part of me thinks Hogan is sincere in his reasoning for having to backburner the vets, and another part of me thinks he wanted to write the show that way all along, because even now he's still playing favorites with the same few who were shoved down our throats in the first six months of the year.

• Members

Because even when a show says they have budget problems, you will still see them bring on newbies. It happen with GH. Rick Hearst and other sources said that the show as overbudget because of the MC explosion but that didn't stop them from bringing on several new characters.

• Members

LOL....yeah...how many former ATWT writers are over at Y&R? And now Nick has been presumed dead, and he's coming home with a new woman. *ahem* Carly/Jack/SkankJulia circa 2004. I hope everyone in Genoa City doesn't have to act like she's his legal wife. And if Nick goes by "Nick Nicholason", I'm gonna scream.

• Members

Nick is coming home with a new women? That is horrid. It is bad enough that the show let JM's contract negotiations go down to the wire that they had to write him out for several weeks with a contrived presumed dead story but they are now having him bring back a new woman? UGH. So lame and something you would expect from an ABC soap. Not Y&R.

Archived