Cane: Discussion Thread

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

Sylph mentioned this in another thread so I thought I'd add my opinions after seeing the pilot. I'm relieved that it is as good as I hoped and should live up to the hype. On paper the story kind of sounds like something from one of those MNTV telenovelas but it's done so stylishly you forget the implausibilities of the plot. It's very much like a soapified Sopranos with two feuding families, lashings of sex, murder and sibling rivalry and it's impeccably shot.

The only weak link for me was not really getting to know the younger generation and Rita Moreno was sort of blink and miss but there was a lot of plot to fit into the pilot. I presume they'll all get their turn as the season unfolds.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I missed the episode last night but I heard mostly nothing but positive feedback on various message boards. Much like what you said, the actors are beautiful, the look of the show is beautiful, and the plots are already starting out with much intrigue. Sounds like CBS can have a winner with this show if they'll give it a chance. I heard last night's show will repeat on Saturday night. I'll be sure to have my DVR set this time!

• Members

Now I was told it was boring. I recorded it and plan to watch it this weekend. I hope the positive feedback is more accurate. I had high hopes for this show; good cast, polished look, etc. Even if it doesn't grab me right away I'm willing to give it a chance. You can never have too much of Nestor Carbonel's natural eye-liner.

• Members

MANY PREMIERE SPOILERS:

It was anything but boring. The premiere had everything from rival family members secretly hooking up, to incestuous feelings, to secret pasts coming to light, rto hidden terminal illnesses, to someone pretending he was in a coma, to GORGEOUS men.... Definitely can't wait for the next episode!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • Members

It needed work--but at the same time it had a lot to recommend it--great actors and a refreshingly (for this day and age) non ironic look at a big, rich, business family serial/soap being two of them. It was getting better though every episode--I loved the character and storyline of the new Australian Rum mixer who had been hired, he rbeign a woman in a man's job, the family crushes on her, etc. It was a different and real feeling story with a lot of great soap turns. Like some other shows last year I think the strike really killed any momentum i tmay have started gaining--I'm not sure how many episodes were filmed, but from what aired it never quite got far enough in the season that even the best of soaps deserve to get their feel. The press loved to claim that it wouldn't and didn't catch on with the mainstream because it was focused on Cuban/Americans which I think is crap.

Archived