All: Is anybody sick of characters being killed off for the sake of being killed off?

• Members

It seems like soaps have run out of ideas of how to send a character off the canvas ,so instead they flat out kill off the character.With The Edge of Night you could almost understand why they killed off people because the show had a murder mystery format from beginning to end throughout its 28 year run.In that show you can't have a murder mystery if no character dies period.

But it seems like soaps are more trigger happy when it comes to killing off characters like they just can't send the person away for a longtime out of town.Here are some of the characters I think they should have never killed off to start with:

AMC: Gillian lavery,Erin Lavery,Simone Torres,Jesse Hubbard,Jenny Gardner Nelson,Dixie Martin,Edmund Grey,Travis Montgomery.Leo Dupres

OLTL: Mitch Lawrence,Paul Cramer,Gabrielle Medina,Al Holden,Luna Moody,Jennifer Rappaport,Drew Buchanan, Duke Buchanan,sarah Gordon, Megan Gordon,Meredith Lord,and Victor Lord

GH: Faith Rosco,Summer,Courtney,AJ Quartermaine,Alan Quartermaine,Stefan cassadine,Zander Smith,Justus Ward,Rick Webber,John Durant

Y&R: Drucilla

B&B: darla,Macy

ATWT: marshall travers,rose d'angelo,vicky love mckinnon,jake mckinnon

GL: maureen bauer,ben reade,maeve stoddard reade,ross marler

AW: Frankie Frame,Ryan harrison

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I can't believe you forgot Jennifer Munson on ATWT. That was the most pointless and saddest death I've ever seen on soap. I was bawling when it happened. I don't think I'll ever understand why the writers felt they had to do that. They could have her run away or something....instead they killed her. STUPID. Jen deserved to live in happiness with Dusty and Johnny.

• Members

As of late, Alan Quatermaine, GH.

I still don't see the reason for why he was killed off, if it's to prop Liason and the baby who will probably have Alan's name somehow that is just plain wrong.

And I didnt want AJ, Stefan or Justus Ward to die either.

For AMC, Gillian for sure, that was the reason I watched AMC then and Ryan was likeable.

DAYS, I can't really think of one because they know how to keep their vets.

• Members

I could come up with a long list for DAYS but they've all been resurrected. :lol:

Isabella was the last major character to die and stay dead. Though I liked the character, her death was very poignant and moving so I can't say it was a "bad" decision.

• Members

IDA about Dru on Y&R. I think she had to die. If she didnt, she and Neil would have to split up yet again and after finally getting their marriage on track, I really didnt want to go through another divorce. I thought they were going to write her off by having her get commited for good, but then that would leave Neil in limbo and he does need to move on. So they killed her. I only wish she had went out alot better than the crappy way they killed her off. At least her death was ambigious and she's definetly still alive for when VR returns

• Members

Killing Gillian was pointless as was Dixie

Simone's death, I can understand somewhat, the actress wanted to leave. Same with Erin Lavery, the actress wanted to leave.

Sure they could have written them out in other ways, but as long as the death makes sense to the storyline it doesn't bother me as much

• Members

I'm sick of it. I'm especially sick of all the HW and EP bullsh!t we get after a character is killed off. "We did it for the emotional impact of the story." One time, I even read "It's our gift to our loyal viewers." You bet it is! In actual fact, it's just an excuse to rid the show of long-time vets and replace them with cheaper, less talented newbies. Or, in Billy Warlock's case, a chance for Guza to get rid of a character whose popularity threatened to eclipse that of Guza's pets.

• Members

I am torn. It is always hard to see a beloved character die but I'm also tired of all the holes in the show that the absences leave. I doubt we ever see Joey, Kevin, Cord or Asa again so on one side it would be easier to watch if their departures were more final and didn't leave you thinking they should be there for the event. I think the missing presumed dead, jail, mental institution etc could all be better employed at this point than they are.

• Members

The litmus test I always use is whether or not that character would be viable five years down the road. In the case of Dixie, AJ and Jennifer (ATWT), they sure as heck could have driven future storyline and those shows will definitely miss having the characters around.

Same with Y&R. Cassie's death was superbly handled, but I can't help thinking they really could use this character down the road as the young romantic ingenue.

Archived