DAYS: How they should handle Alice's eventual demise

• Members

ICAM

But I don't think I could get behind Marlena "finishing the job". I loved the evil Marlena vs. Alice scenes the first time around and thought they were well-written and well-played out, but with the way the show is going now, I think it's best that Alice not have doughnuts shoved down her throat lol.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think Deidre would be comfortable or willing to do that, and Frances probably wouldn't either. Deidre hated having to [in-character] "kill" Alice the first time, and asked not to have to do it all the way, this time ... doubtful.

And it'd be so disrespectful. I think it would be nice to see them do a realistic story. Have Alice fall ill, and the family gathers around her to be with her... it's a nice way for them to be able to show flashbacks and everything.

• Members

I think the donuts idea and all things of that sort are incredibly distasteful and disrespectful. You may be surprised how many fans just want some modicum of normalcy in Salem, too. I feel if Frances is doing so poorly they need to take care of the question before Christmas, because they really just can't explain away her absence come Christmas. I would like it if she just passed quietly and all her family and friends are there to celebrate her incredible life.

• Members

I'm with Rion on this one. Sorry, guys, but dying in your sleep is NOT dramatic.

And it's NOT necessarily disrespectful to kill off Alice, in a literal sense.

Look at Mrs. Lanningham on the "West Wing." That was one of the best twists on that show, and the most dramatic and sad and heartfelt -- and it wasn't because she died in her sleep!

A beloved character CAN be killed off in such a way that is more dramatic than what most of you are suggesting.

And KR? PLEASE, why call for the banning of Rion when he just used his freedom of speech, without disrespecting any member? Stop playing favorites. If the mods listened to you about banning members just because they start topics that have the potential to start trouble, even if that wasn't the intention (for instance, I could start an "I love Josh!" thread and all the anti-"unabortion" fans would get on my case for daring to start such a thread), that's called the CHILLING EFFECT. And it's wrong.

Sorry, but I had to say that!

• Members

I'm with King but thats besides the point. In what universe is the West Wing even in the same plane as Days of Our Lives? Lol the West Wing isn't even on the same planet as DoOL. I and I'm sure the majority of true Days fans would be shocked, offended, and totally saddened to see Alice go out like that. What a horrible slap in the face to all those years of being a loyal Daytime character and the rich history that surrounds her.

And yes I know I'm new and all but I wasn't trying to be offensive to anyone. I just saw the post and literally choked for 5 minutes. Just thinking about this "storyline" is making me sick.

• Members

Marlena going back into serial killer mode and offing Alice for real?

Are you for real? LoL

Once got the buzz. Twice would be overkill. It's not always necessary for everything to be balls-to-the-wall drama -- understated class is overlooked far too often.

• Members

I think King is right in that a post like this is designed for nothing other then starting trouble. Anyone that knows or has watched Days knows how special Alice is to the fans and the show. Most people know how Alice's "murder" turned alot of fans off and was the precursor to Days' inevitable fall in the ratings under jER. Alice's "death" pushed the envelope too far. I can see how some would say dying in your sleep is boring and not dramatic but you don't have to blow someone off or murder them to give a dramatic, memorable end to a character. Like others suggested, have her get ill and have returning family members and existing family members come home to visit. The bottom line is if Days does the sendoff to Alice well it will be memorable. It doesn't need no big bang or gimmick. If it is a flop, then fans will be more inclined to be disappointed and will want to forget it.

I seriously can't believe you would support this JSF. I just think doing something like this is way too twisted and demented for a woman of Frances's legacy and stature. The audience had a hard time watching her "murder" the last time and Deidre even had a problem with it.

It's not an issue because it won't happen this way. It will happen with Alice either dying in her sleep or getting ill and passing away. I just hate talking about this. It's depressing :(

• Members

I'm not supporting this idea -- that is, killing Alice with her own donuts. I think that's a little disrespectful. Well, no... VERY disrespectful. But that's my opinion, and I have a right to.

I support Rion's opinion and his right to have one, and post it, without people believing he has an underhanded agenda just because it's well known that many people were disgusted by Alice's "death" the first time around. Just because some people will react to a certain post, that's their decision. It doesn't mean someone intentionally wanted to start trouble.

Rion's post was very topical, with speculation that Alice's death is part of the "OMG" plot that will occur this summer.

Back to the original topic, I DO agree with Rion's suggestion that Alice go out with a bang -- on top. Something dramatic, realistic, respectful...but not just a "warm in her bed," boring death.

And, as we've been told numerous times, Frances is a real toughie, a spitfire... what if she WANTED Alice to die in a memorable -- even gruesome -- way? What could we all say to that, then?

Drama's drama, that's all I'm saying.

Oh, and opinions are opinions. No need to attack or accuse Rion -- or others -- just for having one.

• Members

No one is attacking Rion's opinion but I did have to come in here and warn him last night to tone it down and he has a habit of instigating. That is why people react the way they do. I also know that he is a JER supporter and has been on Days' case since Hogan took over so seeing a post like this hints at the possibility of trying to get Days fans riled up.

If Rion wants to post his view, that's fine. I am sure he knew a topic like this would dissent into outraging people. He always knows that. It has happened before and my job as a mod is to make sure it doesn't happen.

He is entitled to posting and his opinion but King and others are too so if they want to call out Rion that is fine. No one was disrespectful and it's not like anyone can ban him but a staff member anyway.

Whatever...moving on. Let's just keep things respectful in here.

• Members

I'm not trying to rile people up. My opinion is that a major character like Alice should die in a dramatic way. Some people here think Alice is a saint when she's only human. She's capable of being murdered or killed. Just because she's 90 doesn't mean she's immune from serial killers, AIDS, car crashes, etc.

Archived