DAYS: Corday speaks in SOD -

• Members

On the new cover of SOD, the headline is "Crisis at DAYS! The Secret Paln to Save It"

There is an interview with Ken Corday about the ratings and his plan to save the show. Here are some quotes.

SOD: How would you characterize the state of the show right now?

Ken Corday: If I don't attention to the ratings and what the viewers are saying, I'm an ostrich. I have not seen a decline in the ratings on the show this precipitous - ever. I've never seen this much of a percentage decline. And the first inclination is to say, " Okay it's not us, it's our lead-in. It's the fact that people know PASSIONS is going off the air," which may or may not be totally true. But we also have to look at the state of the school. It, in a way, has become a lot about third parties moving stories. Fans turn on the show and they say, "What happened to 'our DAYS?'" We're suffering from that and the question is, how quickly can we fix it? You fix it by putting people on that they want to see. Our headwriter agrees and is quickly shifting back.

Digest: What are you doing to fix it?

Corday: Moving quickly. He will shift gears from out of town to back. We're going back to the core of DAYS: John and MArlena, and Bo and Hope. We're also going back to one of the tried-and -true stories on the show, which involves the DiMeras.

Digest: When will we see these changes?

Corday: In May.

Digest: I've gotten a lot of flak from fans because you've said in the past that they'd back on-screen, but they really weren't. So are you saying that yes, they will be back in a regular capacity?

Corday: Yes.

Digest: Back on front burner?

Corday: Not necessarily in the same story, but the foursome will on the front burner.

Digest: Any scoop before we hang up?

Corday: tony Dimera will back on-screen.

Digest: Thaao Penghalis is returning?

Corday: Yes, It will happen mid-to-late May. He will come to see EJ.

Digest: Is this a sign that we could see more people return?

Corday: Yes. More of the familiar faces that we so know and love from recent years. Not from 15 years ago.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It, in a way, has become a lot about third parties moving stories. Fans turn on the show and they say, "What happened to 'our DAYS?'" We're suffering from that and the question is, how quickly can we fix it? You fix it by putting people on that they want to see.

WOW. I think this is the most sensible thing Corday has ever said. :o

• Members

Awww, it's 2003, 2004 and 2005 again! Same thing happened then, same result. Do what you say you're going to do and I'll like you like you won't belive. John & Marlena and Bo & Hope ARE the core. Stop trying to get away from it! They're the big four, stop trying to deny it and just CHERISH what the frak you have.

• Members

I treat anything Ken Corday says with a lot of scepticism.

How many times in recent years have we've been promised that the DAYS we know & love will return? :rolleyes:

Does Tony have that big a fanbase out there who've stopped watching DAYS?

Unless Matt Ashford is returning in a big way, I'm not interested, and I can certainly avoid another tired repeat of the Bradys vs the Dimeras. :rolleyes:

• Members

Ken Corday... WAKE UP.

He always goes back to the 'tried and true' when it comes to a ratings crisis. The ratings go up as a result, and then they go back to getting off track. It's a constant up and down. When will he learn the important of consistency? Don't just use Bo/Hope/John/Marlena to get the ratings up when you're in the middle of a crisis. Use them well on a regular basis! Plain and simple. I mean, wasn't it just before Hogan Sheffer came on last year that they were promising the same exact thing? "You'll see the Days of old again. Lots of Bo, Hope, John and Marlena. It's going to be the Days you've been wanting." We got that for a few months... and then it veered off course again. And now that we're in the middle of a crisis, they're going back to what works -- AGAIN. At what point does the show remain a quality show (with the characters we know and love) on a regular, consistent basis? I'm sick of the constant up-and down, touch-and-go. And judging by the ratings, I'm not the only one.

Don't get me wrong, I love everything Corday said. But I also know how much the man lies. Bo, Hope, John and Marlena might be back, and the "days of old" might return once again... but for how long? One month? Two? I just can't trust the man anymore. He over-sells everything, and I end up being disappointed in the end.

Now, let me go on to comment on his comments in specific...

"I have not seen a decline in the ratings on the show this precipitous - ever. I've never seen this much of a percentage decline. And the first inclination is to say, 'Okay it's not us, it's our lead-in. It's the fact that people know PASSIONS is going off the air,' which may or may not be totally true. But we also have to look at the state of the school. It, in a way, has become a lot about third parties moving stories."

Why is it that when the ratings decline, Ken Corday is always unwilling to look at him and his own show to figure out what is wrong? No, Corday... it's not your lead-in. It's YOU. It's DAYS. Look at yourself and your own shortcomings and things will get fixed a whole lot quicker. Don't play the 'it's not our fault the ratings are down' game. Look at the real issue and make some changes (ones that last -- it's all about consistency) and you'll get a decent audience -- at least in comparison to the rest of the pack. Ratings might be down for the genre as a whole, but within that nosediving genre, Days is two from the bottom. That's dangerous.

"He (Hogan) will shift gears from out of town to back. We're going back to the core of DAYS: John and Marlena, and Bo and Hope. We're also going back to one of the tried-and -true stories on the show, which involves the DiMeras."

If only they would've come to this conclusion a month or two earlier, they would've been wise enough to get Eileen Davidson back and involved in the 'tried and true' story involving the DiMeras. Instead, Corday decided to get rid of the DiMeras (and rightfully so... I'm sick of every story being propelled by some evil DiMera mastermind) only to suddenly make this turnaround... and now, his DiMera family is gone. Stefano's gone. Kristen's gone. Lexie's gone. The 'evil' DiMera clan is overplayed. I don't mind having them on the show, but we need to go someplace with them... it's the same ole, same ole. And please, for the love of God, would they actually real the reason behind the Brady/DiMera feud instead of just teasing it? I'm beyond ready to learn the truth and get that out of the way. I feel like it's more of an annoying roadblock than something I'm really interested in.

"Digest: I've gotten a lot of flak from fans because you've said in the past that they'd back on-screen, but they really weren't. So are you saying that yes, they will be back in a regular capacity?"

LMAO! SOD basically called Corday a liar there. Love it!

"Tony Dimera will back on-screen."

Vomit. I'm so sick of him. He better not be written the same way that he was under JER, or I'll throw up all over the place. Kristen should've been brought back in his place, damn it!

"More of the familiar faces that we so know and love from recent years (will be returning). Not from 15 years ago."

Is it just me, or does that sound like a stab at Steve and Kayla? I'm betting that Steve/Kayla will be shoved to the backburner very soon. They've been getting pretty decent airtime over the last few months, during the decline. Not surprisingly, it'll be blamed on them and I wouldn't be surprised if they let Stephen and Mary Beth go before too long.

• Members

That is dumb. So obviously this was NOT their plan to back burner vets and use them in some big capacity. It is clear it was their plan to write for the people they were writing for and tell these HORRIBLE stories they were planning to tell. He even mentions Hogan and that is clear that this was Hogan's intentions. No budget rumors, no budget issues, nothing.

DAYS deserved its last downfall but I hope the recovery is just as worth it.

I think Tony returning is stupid, and a big waste of big $$. It is also an inclination that there are no big budget issues since Phenglis is clear about taking pay cuts as well. Their return should have been Kristen, Eileen should have been the big return. And Joseph Mascolo should be first before Tony. Tony was just destroyed it will be hard to swallow anything decent. But I'm sure Hogan can do it.

• Members

I agree with everything you said Kenny. This is the same ole same ole response from Ken Corday. Same ole BS. His first bad move is Tony too. And I think he is incorrect to take a jab at Steve and Kayla. They are awesome actors WASTED. It is the story and that is the problem with DAYS over all these STORIES. Steve and Kayla should have been involved in a big umbrella story with the vets from the get go and that should have led into the reveal of the DiMera Brady feud. I hope it is not over for them because in a good story Steve and Kayla are GOLD.

I hope they manage somehow to bring Kristen back even if it is sadly not with Eileen.

And I'm glad SOD called Corday out on his lies.

• Members

Oh, and what about his comment that no characters will be returning from 15+ years ago?

Uh, ahem... what does he call Adrienne? Not that I'm unhappy about it or anything, because I love Judi Evans. But that alone shows that Corday's a liar. And if I can't trust that statement, I can't really trust anything.

I'm just not impressed by this interview. I want to see Bo, Hope, John and Marlena, but not just for the sake of seeing them. I want them in good stories -- not just shoved on the screen for sake of having them on the screen. He acts like throwing them in front of a camera will be a magic cure-all. And bringing back Tony is supposed to be a big ratings spike? Please. Tony DiMera was ruined under JER... I hope that Hogan Sheffer cleans him up and de-cartoonizes him.

• Members

The "15 years ago" statement is really grating on my nerves.

Is he ashamed of what the show was 15 years ago or something, to want a complete disconnect? I'm confused and thrown by that statement. Bo and Hope were on 15 years ago, as were John and Marlena. It's not that viewers don't want to see old, beloved characters -- we just want them in good stories, utilized well!

• Members

Kenny, you make a good point about Steve/Kayla. I wondered why Corday wasn't including them in his big plan to supposedly save the show.

It's probably a bad sign for Matt Ashford fans. I doubt we'll be seeing much more of Jack. :(

Abby will probably be sent off to London to live with her parents, and eventually I bet Steve and Kayla are written off the show also. :rolleyes:

• Members

probably this time next year.we will discuss yet another "THE PLAN TO SAVE DAYS!" Cover. how stupid can Corday be? ugh.

anyway,judging from this interview what we are seeing was hogan's plan all along.so does that make hogan a liar,or corday? whataever.I just hope this latest "please watch us,we wont screw you again!" phase of the show will be enjoyable,until the next crisis.

Archived