OLTL Cowboy Quits and Hits the Trail

• Members

At 81, not to mention just recovering from Cancer, I am sure that Phil can no longer perform. We aren't sure how this went down. Maybe Phil said he was tired, the show offered to put him on recurring, and he said no, i'll just go. Remember who this is, he is an elderly man. I am sure this had something to do with his health and not OLTL being stupid with their vets.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Brian Frons offering Phil Carey recurring is a pure slap in the fact to this talented, very important member of the ONE LIFE cast. It's gonna be a sad day when Asa's gone from the Llanview scene. I bet ONE LIFE will end up killing Asa off, but I hope not. Hopefully they'll work something out before he's gone, or if Phil does in fact leave, that ONE LIFE will just have Asa & Renée leave Llanview together.

• Members

We aren't talking about a 30 something year old man. Jill Faren Phelps fired Anna Lee because she is a !@#$%^&*]. This is not the same, or at least I dont think so. Phil is sick. This could have been his idea. I dont think any Cancer patient would want to be pressured by the show, and I say that from a professional standpoint. Why didnt Frons just deny Hillary's contract extension if he really wanted to stick it to us fans??? Why didn't Brian keep Claudia and keep Spencer if he really wanted to send a big [!@#$%^&*] you to us?? There has to be something more.

• Members

I agree. That PC is ageing and sick is not new news. They tried to oust him two years ago and it met with viewer backlash now they have accomplished it. PC may not be up to much of a story but if they wanted to take the sting out of this they would have concentrated on building up the next generation instead of killing it off. They have no use for the Buchanan men except when they needed a ratings boost and they have made that clear for years now.

All this says is that the status quo of the entire reign of Hackley continues.

The suggestion this was PC idea is not a valid one if you read the article. He obviously wanted to continue.

• Members

I'm sorry Jay, but there is no way to spin this around. OLTL has just begun using their veterans again. Since Dena Higley took over, a majority of the real vets have been nothing but wallpaper. It is because of fan campaigns like the C.H.E.R.I. Initiative created by loyal fans at Soap Opera Central that we're even seeing people like Nora, Viki, Dorian and Lindsay. Dena Higley has YET to fulfull any of hte promises she made when she took over as head writer.

Brian Frons is an !@#$%^&*]. He is determined to make us accept his "vision" for ABC Daytime which means if you're over 40 (and not a favorite) then you can expect your ass to be gone when your contract is up. Phil Carey being 81 is a non-issue. He can work and wants to work. It's a gigantic slap in the face if you've been with a show for over 25 years and they come to you saying "Listen, we don't want to offer you a permanent contract, but we want you to be on recurring." That's insulting. Very insulting. From a professional standpoint, it still doesn't make sense. People identify with Asa. No one freakin identifies with a lot of these new characters because many fans hate them.

I at 20 years old would much rather see a storyline featuring Asa, Nora, Bo and Viki than see ANYTHING involving John McBain or Natalie Buchanan or Rex or Adrianna or Tate. OLTL may "use" their veterans a bit more than AMC or GH, but putting a vet in a silly storyline doesn't qualify as "using" to me. If you have a week of episodes and see a vet twice that week, that doesn't count as being "used" to me.

• Members

^ WORD, Ryan. 100% agree.

I'll be 21 next month and would much prefer to see the older folks than the younger folks. In most cases. Some younger ones I do like, but there's just more history and interest with the older folks.

Jay, no matter how you try to spin this, it's a bad thing.

Archived