The best soap on tv now is

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ICAM! Latham has steered the Y&R ship right into an ice berg. She is Y&R's Megan McTavish. She doesn't get the show, is all about sensationalistic plot driven stories. Characters change week to week depending on the story. She doesn't get one female character on this show. The ratings have been tanking these last few weeks. Hopefully Latham's honemyoon is over.

Current Soap Rankings based on feedback from these boards and my opinion

GL

DAYS

GH

AMC

OLTL

Y&R

B&B

ATWT

PAS

• Members

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ Mar 25 2007, 04:04 PM)
Y&R is terrible. EXTREMELY plot driven, no respect or acknowledgement of history, Amber hogging screentime, character motivations shifting with the stories and a sea of other things. WHat makes the show watchable is the talented cast and script writers. If we had JER level people writing the scripts it would make the bad storylines even more obvious.

Latham's made focus is clearly showcasing her plots, not the characters, actors or Y&R itsself. Just look at what she submitted for the Emmy nod--Who Killed Carmen. An lightweight episode centered around a new character that she couldn't figure out what to do with. This was an episode that would showcase her storytelling and how quirky and cool and different she is. Not something that would represent Y&R.

Unfortunately the ratings have been doing good and I really don't expect any changes. People seem to enjoy her, which isn't surprising considering the good scripts. You can jump in as a newbie and be impressed or enjoy it in patches. But in the long term she is 100% destroying Y&R.

Amen.

Y&R sucks.

It has never, ever been this bad.

LML is definitely this show's Higley/McTavish.

• Members

In a way I am glad Victoria Rowell is leaving, so we don't get to watch Latham destory Dru any more.... but from spoilers it looks like she goes out as a Sharon prop.

I hope more actors jump ship. All of them were singing Latham's praises when she took over... well morale I think is sinking on this show again.

• Members

DAYS is no where near close to the top judging by quality because other shows are bringing quality and story telling and that is what soaps are about. Bottom line. Just because DAYS has sucked in the quality department (Esp. with day to day stories) and has improved so much now with that doesn't mean it is the best instantly. OLTL can top DAYS any day with quality and story telling.

• Members

These are my rankings:

1) Y&R

followed closely by 2) GL

several steps down are 3) GH, 4) OLTL

and then total messes right now are 5) AMC, ATWT, B&B, Days & PSSNS even though on many days I have to say I enjoy (story-wise) AMC, Passions, & B&B more than I ever enjoy ATWT & Days right now which both are good quality day to day writing and direction but the stories and the balance totally ruin both shows and put them fully at the bottom of the pile right now.

• Members

For the first time, I'm going to say that GH is the best show on daytime IMO. Sure it has probably the biggest balance problem of all the soaps, but at least the stories that the characters are in are good and keep me on my feet.

DAYS is great as well. I'm always enjoying my favorite show.

Y&R is the pits. That show is just, ugh... I hate talking about it.

• Members

I only watch two soaps so I would have to say, for me, they are the best two soaps on the air right now. General Hospital and One Life to Live. I used to think Guiding Light was the ONLY soap that was worth watching, and I think at one time it probably was, but not anymore. So I don't watch it.

Some days GH is fantastic and other days OLTL hits the mark. So I am a lucky girl to watch two such entertaining soaps.

• Members

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ Mar 25 2007, 10:04 PM)
Y&R is terrible. EXTREMELY plot driven, no respect or acknowledgement of history, Amber hogging screentime, character motivations shifting with the stories and a sea of other things. WHat makes the show watchable is the talented cast and script writers. If we had JER level people writing the scripts it would make the bad storylines even more obvious.

Latham's made focus is clearly showcasing her plots, not the characters, actors or Y&R itsself. Just look at what she submitted for the Emmy nod--Who Killed Carmen. An lightweight episode centered around a new character that she couldn't figure out what to do with. This was an episode that would showcase her storytelling and how quirky and cool and different she is. Not something that would represent Y&R.

Unfortunately the ratings have been doing good and I really don't expect any changes. People seem to enjoy her, which isn't surprising considering the good scripts. You can jump in as a newbie and be impressed or enjoy it in patches. But in the long term she is 100% destroying Y&R.

Oooo, someone's finally changed his tune. ;)

• Members

Y&R is good, but not the best on tv anymore IMO

I enjoy AMC even though it's a big mess most of the time. It's the one soap that can keep me coming back even when I get pissed off at it.

GH is okay, but a big mess, OLTL has gotten better. ATWT is okay most of the time.

Archived