March 12-16, 2007

Toups

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can understand ATWT's & B&B's rating but not GL's at all. Y&R was better during it's 3 shows last week than it is during a whole week sometimes so that is a bit shocking too.

A few shows got a rise Friday because of the Basketball I'm sure. Passions, Days, & OLTL I know all saw their ratings jump by a lot on Friday. All 3 should be thankful esp. Passions and Days because they might have not moved up. Days ratings were still bad for the first part of the week.

I am really shocked by CBS because they usually don't fall during basketball week - 3 days usually help them.

And as Phoenix said last week that Days usually gets a better push from it too. This year it helped them but the rest of the week was bad.

• Members

There is no saving GL no matter what. No matter how good the show may get every now and then the viewers don't come in. I'm very firm that it would be better for soaps if CBS dumped GL and launched a new soap. At least they'd have a shot, with GL the ratings will only get lower. A new soap would give them a chance to really revamp the CBS lineup and daytime genre.

As for the other three, CBS seriously need to revamp all of them. Y&R needs to get back to it's roots, B&B needs a new headwriter and ATWT needs a COMPLETE makeover. The unfortunate thing about ATWT is that you know they probably won't make any changes. :(

• Members

I had a feeling CBS daytime would be experiencing a slump this year. I don't think a new soap in place of GL would be a wise move, though. The Passions/Another World switch of '99 is proof that you can't piss off the long-time fans and expect them to tune into the new show.

GL is not in that bad of shape right now. The only problem I have with it is that I feel claustrophobic when I watch the characters in their scenes because the sets are so small and they're always in the same places.

• Members

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ Mar 22 2007, 11:30 AM)
There is no saving GL no matter what. No matter how good the show may get every now and then the viewers don't come in. I'm very firm that it would be better for soaps if CBS dumped GL and launched a new soap. At least they'd have a shot, with GL the ratings will only get lower.

I don't think that they want to take the heat that would come with cancelling the longest running drama and launching a new show. They seem to be very proud of Guiding Light and its rich history.

• Members

I totally agree Gray Bunny. GL has it's problems because of budget but it is still a good show, but as a faithful long-term fan I would not be happy with it's cancellation.

As far as a new show, I am so not interested in a new show. I am so disgusted with the direction soaps are going in that when my shows that are on now go, I will not watch another or tune into another. I got excited about soaps again in December & January because they were non-sweeps months and many of the shows got good. I expected it for February so seeing it then did not excite me that much.

But right now I have never been so disgusted with soaps. I am tired of certain couples and characters getting all the damn airtime and it has so much to do with fan bases unfortunately and not just that but more importantly to writers only wanting to write for certain characters and couples.

McTavish has a hard on for Kendall, Babe, Krystle, JR, Adam, Erica, Josh, and the Lavery brothers at the expense of everyone else on AMC - esp. Kendall & Babe who are the whole damn center of the shows. The show centers around 2 whores/!@#$%^&*]es and ignores many other women on the show who deserve airtime too. Zendell is the most sickeningly boring couple to ever hit daytime. My time with the show again might have averaged 2 whole episodes watched in bits & pieces in the last 2 weeks.

Hogan has a hard on for EJ, Payla, Sami, Shelle, Nick/Chelsea & Willow with every other character getting ignore. The Days positivers can spin it whatever way they want but this is Hogan's MO, and I for one am so over it. Some say things are getting better but even though we see a few others a little more right now they are only there to prop his favorites. So no the balance still sucks and the stories esp. Steve/Kayla's, the whole EJ, and EJ/Sami/Lucas stuff have been so overdone and are so damn boring. I might have actually paid attention to 1 whole episode in the last 2 weeks. Most of it is totally ff material on my tapes or if it is on live - totally background material. Even if the show lasts until 2009 this is one viewer who probably won't be around. Once again in spoilers for the next few weeks certain names have disappeared again - so the balance is definitely not getting any better. It is still the same. Just having someone on doesn't change the total balance and having them on in scenes that don't really matter and not having them there when they should be there does not change balance either. I tuned out of ATWT for awhile because Hogan's balance was totally bad there, so if he continues to screw with it on Days I will do the same.

OLTL is getting better as I said earlier, but it is still too much John McBain and even at times too much Todd but I can handle Todd because he does have history with the show. It is one of the 4 shows I put near my top list but it still does not make me want to tune in everyday.

GUZA still has a hard on for too many of the same characters on GH and it gets sickening there.

ATWT disappoints me as much as Days & AMC do right now. I am so sick and tired of seeing the same characters day in and day out. It is maddening. When are TPTB going to wake up.

Just because a writer likes them or because a damn fanbase likes them - that does not mean that everybody likes them and wants to see them all the time. Get that through your thick heads McTavish, Sheffer, Passanante, Bell, Guza, Higley, and Latham. It is so sad that daytime is run by a bunch of HACKS & INCOMPETENTS right now.

It is sad that right now David Kreizman & Ellen Wheeler - 2 of the most inexperienced in daytime can teach the others so much with their inexperience and problems. They are not the greatest but right now what they produce is 10 times better than anything story-wise that is put out on any of the shows. Sadly that is not saying much, but at least with what they have to work with they do keep the balance pretty good - not great but pretty good. They just need more money to put more vets back on, and they do need to shift the focus back to the Bauers but at least the families that are featured most do have history with the show all the way back to the late 70's and 80's.

As far as GL being cancelled, I know that it is coming, but I don't see a new show doing any better. Not for me anyway because this is one viewer that when GL is gone that hour will go to GH which I already watch on SoapNet. I will just change that hour to something else in primetime.

I just hope if GL is cancelled it is cancelled before Days is. Because if it is cancelled just so CBS can buy Days and bring it to CBS this is one fan that will be utterly disgusted with all of CBS. Right now (sorry if this offends anyone) but GL makes me want to tune in while Days does not, and to see GL cancelled for Days would be stab in the heart of this GL viewer. And the same could be said for any show. To see any show cancelled just so Days can be saved is totally wrong.

I honestly don't want to see any show cancelled, but to cancel one for another is wrong right now.

ETA: I forgot to add that I don't see B&B's ratings doing any better until the get rid of Rick/Phoebe. It is disgusting and turning many viewers off.

Archived