March 12-16, 2007

Toups

• Members

G;ad Days moved up even a little. The show is still not that bad, contrary to what some say.

NBC and ABC usually do benefit from the CBS preemption and it seems they did but Days' Friday episode as very good. Even some critics said it was good and it deserved that high ranking so I wouldn't base it all on the preemption. I expect them to go up a little this week too because the show has been good this week. Plus, Marlena being on could help. As I said before, the balance is still off but as long as things happen the ratings will be better. Last week, we had the Bope fire and Steve kidnapping Billie. This week we had the search for Steve and the stuff with Kayla, Marlena, and Billie. The ratings don't reflect quaility. All they do is reflect the happenings that week. A soap's balance could suck and they still can get good ratings as long as alot is going on. That was Days's biggest issue last month and this month they are picking up a bit and they saw a +1 increase.

It sucks for GL. They aren't that bad but the ratings never reward quality. People think I say that to defend Days but it's the truth. GL is better then that and I beleive it's better then pretty much anyone right now and they still get bad numbers.

The numbers for CBS as a whole are worrisom. Before it was just Days bleeding but since sweeps, everyone is bleeding. It's like sweeps never happened, which is why I always go against the sweeps bandwagon. You want to perform well year around and no show, except Y&R is doing that right now. Even B&B is losing it. Y&R lost numbers this week and that is even more worrisome. They usually benefit from only 3 days on the air but this year they didn't.

I know Days and ATWT are the ones people have been focusing on of late but maybe we should focus on soaps as a whole because they are all falling right now.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

DAYS needs a big May event to bring the ratings back up to the mid-2.0's and have good enough stories to keep the fans there. Maybe Sami's wedding or a WHO SHOT EJ storyline will be big enough to do this.

I don't want any of this "DAYS doesn't deliver for sweeps anymore" bullcrap. I want a G.D. Sweeps period!!!!! AND DAYS NEEDS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you reading this, Hoagie?????? BIG MAY GIMMICK!!!!!!! THEY WORK!!!! ASK GENERAL HOSPITAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members

I agree King but I am sure we will get it. I mean, we already know LUMI's wedding in May so May is guranteed to have something going on. It's good to know for sure they are doing somethign.

I do want Days back at around 2.4-2.5 though before that. I think it's possible. It's sad though. As bad as many say Days has been, they are +2 or +3 away from jumping from 7th to 5th or even 4th. The rest of the pack is dropping with them. It's too bad Days isn't better right now because they could be tied for 3rd had they maintained numbers for 3 months ago but no show has maintained their numbers, which is frightening.

• Members

Hear hear!!! :D

I was just speculating on another board that perhaps TPTB have been saving up the guarantees of the big 4 so that they can use them later on without paying bonuses. I'm holding thumbs this means they'll be back on the frontburner by Sweeps. We already know from the LUMI wedding promo that Marlena is involved in some capacity. Hopefully, she has some active role to play and it's not just a few eps.

• Members

They didn't get a 2.52. They only got a 2.4.

Remember as we have said many times in the past YOU CANNOT USE THE NUMBERS YOU HAVE HERE TO FIGURE BY. ACTUAL FIGURES ARE TAKEN FROM THE FULL NUMBERS BEFORE THEY ARE ROUNDED OFF.

When they do that OLTL ended up with a 2.4 while AMC ended up with a 2.5 when the whole complete numbers are used.

• Members

Oh I agree King. I am just hopeful they can somehow pull to at least a 2.4. I have my doubts but if they keep promoting the hell out of the wedding and amp everything up around it they can shoot up big time anyway in May. They just need to make sure they have other stuff going on to hold viewers.

Oh and Ponz you could be right about that. We know Marlena is at the wedding and so is Caroline and Hope (good move by Days because now people know from the website the vets are there). I don't know why Days does this but every year they give us a decent January and then fall off until we hit May. From May on through the rest of the year, the show usually is pretty good (sometimes October is boring though). The summer is when they can get some pretty good ratings, just like the holidays, because teens and college students are home and such. I am optimistic still because I have had this feeling all along they are waiting until May and then going to pull out everything from that point on. I wish they hadn't waited but it looks like they did.

Whatever the case, I am hopeful that the wedding and sweeps will help out immensely. It seems like NBC is going to promote it, based on everything else that has already been done.

• Members

I won't to state first off - this is only meant tounge-in-cheek. But the last comment and a couple of others made me think of it. It just struck me as funny.

But anyway who would have thought 6 months ago that Days fans would be happy at seeing a 2.2.

It brings up a whole mixture of emotions: absurdly funny, sadness, shock, - you name it.

• Members

How did AMC beat OLTL in the ratings for March 12-16? This inquiring mind wants to know!

1 Y&R 4.0

2 B&B 2.9

3 GH 2.7

4 AMC 2.5

5 OLTL 2.4

6 ATWT 2.3

7 DOOL 2.2

8 GL 2.0

9 PS 1.5

AMC

Monday 2.4

Tuesday 2.4

Wednesday 2.5

Thursday 2.4

Friday 2.8

OLTL

Monday 2.5

Tuesday 2.3

Wednesday 2.4

Thursday 2.6

Friday 2.8

Anyone can see with the naked eye without even averaging the numbers that they are off and that OLTL should be higher than AMC. However, basic math shows the following:

When you add up the numbers listed above and divide by five, OLTL =12.6/5=2.52; AMC=12.5/5=2.5

And even when you round up the daily averages, you get:

OLTL

Monday 2.5 =2

Tuesday 2.3 =2

Wednesday 2.4 =2

Thursday 2.6 =3

Friday 2.8 =3

12 and divide by 5, that equals a 2.4.

But if you do that for OLTL, you have to also apply the same method to AMC:

AMC

Monday 2.4 =2

Tuesday 2.4 =2

Wednesday 2.5 =2

Thursday 2.4 =2

Friday 2.8 =3

When you add those up, you get 11. Divide that by 5 and you get a 2.2.

So anyway you slice it, OLTL beat AMC in the ratings!

• Members

Guys dont you get it?! The ratings for the soaps suck because of THE STORIES that they are telling!They are not telling stories for ALL viewers.SOme of you get it.A soap cant just tell a story about three characters and expect millions of people to watch.DAYS is suffering due to lack of balance and the stories for the most part stink.Bo and Hope on for two days last week in a story that wasnt about them?! Give me a break! GL is OK.Stories need work..This goes for the majority of the soaps.They need to read this posts and LEARN from them! Give people multi generational stories and give everyone something to do....How hard is this????

• Members

Something is definitely off about these ratings, even if you take into account that they are rounded.

Take OLTL....

OLTL

Monday 2.5

Tuesday 2.3

Wednesday 2.4

Thursday 2.6

Friday 2.8

All this resulted in a 2.4 for the week, which makes no sense. Ratings are rounded from hundredths down to tenths, but that still would not put OLTL at 2.4 for the week, unless Friday wasn't counted for some reason.

If you add the LOWEST possible rating that would be rounded to produce each day's rating in tenths, here's the lowest possible ratings OLTL could've had:

OLTL

Monday 2.45 (rounded to 2.5....anything less, like 2.44, would be rounded down to 2.4)

Tuesday 2.25 (2.3)

Wednesday2.35 (2.4)

Thursday 2.55 (2.6)

Friday 2.75 (2.8)

Add those together, and divide by 5, and you get 2.47...which would NOT be rounded down to 2.4; it would be rounded up to 2.5....and that's if the LOWEST possible rating happened each day.

So either Friday ratings are wrong, or they weren't counted for some reason.

Archived