TV Guide: NBC in Talks to Air Passions on DIRECTTV

• Members

I didn't know about the change of format, but I still don't think this should be wasted on Passions. The studios will use this as an excuse to say it can't work when PSNS has been struggling for years.

Also, where would this air? Only on Pay Per View? I think if anything they need to look to SOAPnet a network where it will actually fit in. I imagine the only thing we will be getting are reruns of PSNS, which is kinda a waste considering SOAPnet rarely adds real classic soaps. I've still be hoping for Santa Barbara. Instead we'll get PSNS and have to wait another three years for something really classic.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The only way I could see PASSIONS surviving beyond NBC is if the execs pimped the show to Comedy Central as a segway into it's primetime lineup. And if Sarah Silverman and Dave Chappelle were both consultants on the show.

I would totally watch a Comedy Central version of PASSIONS, because, then the fact that it is a parody of soaps would be warranted.

P.S. Lindsay Hartley...run as FAR AWAY from this show as you can honey!

• Members

I really would love to sit in on this conversation.

"Hey, yeah...Direct TV? This is NBC. We were wondering if you'd carry this show we currently own and air that we're about to boot off the air. Oh...Why you ask? We cancelled it. Oh...why you ask? Because the ratings sucked! You wanna buy it? Awesome!!!"

• Members

If Passions lives on elsewhere, the finale on NBC will be adversely affected. It'll be watered down. It won't pack the emotional punch that it could and should be packing. Then, when it moves on to some other medium, it'll ultimately fail (I mean, c'mon... Passions would never have a longterm run in the internet, etc. that last for more than a year, tops) and end up fading out with barely a whimper. A show like Passions -- even though I've grown to loathe it -- should have a killer finale and go out with a screaming explosion. Nobody should ask, "What ever happened to that show? Is it still on...?" It should be, "Wow, that show had a killer ending!"

• Members

Passions on Comedy Central would probably be a massive hit. The main problem with the show is that it's sold as one thing when it's something different, entirely. It's advertised and promoted as a soap opera. It's reported on in "Soap Opera Digest" as a soap opera. Passions is NOT a soap opera. Then people tune in and they're like, "Wha...?" The show just doesn't fit in with the daytime arena.

As a comedy, though? A spoof... a parody? As all of those things, the show is great. But in order to be successful, it needs to be sold and advertised as such, on a network like Comedy Central. I just can't respect the show as a soap opera, because the show can't be defined like that. It's far too ambiguous to be labeled. For what it is, it's good (despite neverending stories, which make you want to rip your hair out even in parodies), but as a soap it just isn't. Maybe that's why I've grown to hate it after all this time. I keep expecting it to be a soap opera, but that's not what it is. It's something entirely different. And that doesn't make it any better than the rest of the daytime pack -- it just makes it different.

Personally, I'm not a huge parody fan.

• Members

I have both DirecTV and cable. DirecTV has been branching out and has a few of their own channels. There's one channel that airs a lot of homemade videos (like the stuff you would see on YouTube). Some of it is actually pretty funny.

One good thing about DirecTV if they air Passions (I bet it would be for free on Channel 101), is that they would promote the heck out of it on all the other stations they carry. People would be hearing about Passions who have never heard of the show before and might sample it. I doubt it will have millions of viewers, but might be able to live on in some form.

This also gives me hope that other soaps might air on DirecTV too, like classic soaps that Soapnet refuses to air.

The bottom line is it costs XXX dollars to produce the show so that minus whatever DirecTV would put up is what would have to be made from advertising.

• Members

That is something that I've always thought was wrong with this show. It was advertised as a seriously taken daytime drama from day one and I do believe for awhile, Jimmy Reilly tried to write the show as such. But after the honeymoon was over and we were left with really green actors, a horrible budget, and plots that wouldn't move, I don't think Jimmy Reilly really cared anymore. And, without the guidance of Ken Corday(someone who wouldn't let Jimmy Reilly do just anything) or someone who would put their foot down, PASSIONS ultimately suffered.

Comedy Central could advertise it as a soap, the same way they advertise DAILY SHOW and COLBERT REPORT as news. People on Comedy Central are savvy enough to get it. Even if a segment of the audience does hate soaps, they would still realize that this is merely a parody of soaps.

I know that the scriptwriters would have to amp up the comedy(hence the need for comedians as consultants). I could even see the show probably breaking out in major Emmy Categories if the show was a cleverly written parody. But as it is on NBC being a mix of parody and expected to be viewed as a real soap, especially by the likes of Jimmy Reilly? Hells no!

I do find it interesting Kenny that a lot of its fans(including a few choice posters on this board) call it a parody of soaps, but wonder why the actors, writers, and the show are hardly ever nominated in the DRAMA category of the Emmys. Even JointStrikeFighter calls it a soap sendoff. If that's the case, then why is it in daytime? Why did it take up space on the daytime lineup for years? Just to jerk around the audience that was loyal and truly wanted to follow the story?

NBC should have realized what it had and pimped the show directly to Comedy Central. From there, they could slash the budget and cut alot of the cast, and focus on either a "younger" generation of Harmony's residents or a few choice couples. But Tabitha(as played by Juliet Mills) would ALWAYS have to be front and center!

• Members

I'm with you KMan101 about being positive. The negativity here is nauseating, yet not surprising, but we'll see what happens. I think the fact that they've come up with this concept and is likely still exploring others, PROVES that they're not willing to let Passions die quite so easily. All of this speaks volumes indeed!

• Members

I agree. The negativity is sickening! If you don't like Passions, don't watch. But being so damn negative is nothing but annoying. Sure you're entitled to your opinion, but honestly it isn't adding anything to the conversation. We get it, people. You don't like Passions. So what? This is great news for the fans! Don't try to bring us down. We all know that's what you're doing, just under the guise of "free speech".

Archived