Confirmed Megan Is Out on AMC

• Members

The rape storyline though as vulgar as it was looking back did serve a purpose. It brought the Kane women full circle which is what was Megan's intention all along. I have heard that she wanted Kendall to be raped..... but the network chose it to be Bianca. I think it would have been much more effective had it been Kendall and a lot less repulsive. Raping Bianca ended her relationship with Lena, and lets be honest here, Bianca has not had a real relationship since then.... BAM was so totally screwed up and treated with no respect... and now we have BARF which I do not support in anyway.

While at the time I enjoyed the drama of the rape because it spawned off a great saga and gave us such amazing performences from Eden, Susan, William, basically everyone involed... looking back it can just be added to the long line of insulting stuff Megan penned. But we are all acting as if we are shocked. Megan's MO is rape...

I am pretty sure every HW job she had had, one female character has been raped.

Megan hates the notion of strong independent women. I mean..... just look at what Greenlee, Erica, Kendall, Liza, all became under this latest stint?

And men always riding to the rescue and telling women how things should be.

Like I have said, I am still shocked Babe was not raped.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I do think McT may be suitable for more of an interim writer and should be out the door after a year. She basically had two strong storylines, Bianca's rape and the babyswitch. Well, maybe that is only one because it all started with the same event, the rape. So one big storyline that lasted a year and a half. After that, her stuff just got worse and worse.

And the stuff that Culliton started with the hiring a bunch of newbies and teens, McTavish did the exact same thing last summer. We had Jamal/Sean/Colby/Sydney/Annie. Carlos started to get more interesting to me when they moved him away from Greenlee and they started toying with Simone and him. I also liked the idea of Greenlee being in love with a blue collar man but maybe it should have been Aidan instead. And her and Michael had a lot of chemistry. I thought that would have been an interesting pairing if they hadn't turned him so dark. And I loved Juan Pablo...he was all kinds of latin sexy to me!!! I enjoyed Fusion not so much because of the storyline but because of the chemistry between the characters and the actresses. You could tell they were having fun.

I would rather have a show that is more character driven and maybe a little bit boring than the mess McTavish made out of AMC. I am hoping that I can get to that point where I can't wait to find out what the spoilers are and what is going to happen next on the show like I did back then. Right now, I could care less.

• Members

I am sorry McTavish has killed your interest in AMC whyamcwhy.

You one of the many reasons this woman should never be allowed to touch a pen again.

Megan McTavish, be gone.... oh yeah that's right, YOU ARE! :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Members

I DON'T CARE WHAT ANYBODY SAYS...

Sorry. I just had to say that bit of comedy one last time.

But, seriously, I am able to give Rayfield/Cascio the benefit of the doubt because -- at least they tried. Like I said, if you break the "mess" down to their basic cores, their ideas... THEY WERE TRYING. They were trying to stay true to an AMC viewers knew of the past. They were trying to be multi-generational. They were trying to tell stories based on realistic premises.

The "idea" of raping a lesbian character is not moving. The idea of a blonde whore who slept with her husband's brother and then STEALING the baby of her best friend -- again, it's not moving. The idea of a man balling his fist up at his wife when she tells him she's pregnant -- NOT MOVING! The idea of a beloved character TORTURING another man to his death -- NOT EFFING MOVING!

It's all sensationalistic, no matter how you look at it. It's a woman who has spent the last 3 1/2 years playing "What if THIS happens?" and using the characters to suit her particular needs -- and then showing NO after effects. We're just supposed to believe Ryan's a hero after his abusive relationship with Greenlee. We're just supposed to accept that Babe is Love after all of the utter BULL she's done to everyone on this show. We're just supposed to enjoy watching Josh be possessive over another man's wife. :rolleyes:

Rayfield/Cascio had Edmund paired with Mia, and you saw how Maddie struggled with that as well as struggling with the fact her mom was right there alive and well. I'm sorry if that's "boring" but that's what AMC used to be. Stories of the human condition -- not sensationalistic crap.

Go watch Passions if you want sci-fi, special effects, supernatural crap. Oh, wait! I'm sorry. That sh!tfest got CANCELED!

• Members

No, actually what I heard is they were planning to have Kendall raped by Michael, and McTavish recommended Bianca instead and thus got back her job. I'm sure the story seemed attractive to some of TPTB's because it avoided literal lesbian romance and such and gave Bianca baby without going through the process a lesbian might, which is wrong. But, I liked the story.

Now, I don't think AMC has even been as on the ball as they were in mid-April through Juneish of 2003. Whoever was writing then was magnificent, I want names and proof. The Kane women, excellent, they were written as very strong women and the relationships were starting to evolve (without actually using 100% rape). Edmund and Mia were great (first relationship I liked him in since Brooke Round 1) and Maddie's struggle was realistic - I wanted to kick her a**, but I was also eeeing when she started to become accepting. Lena and Bianca were great. Simone/Kenny, charming... Greenlee/Kendall's friendship was awesome (but that was even pre-that period).

• Members

ITA! Which is exactly why I stopped watching this show on a regular basis well over a year ago.

I can't speak for everyone, but for me, the reason why that story was boring was because I saw no chemistry in Edmund and Mia. It was a great idea, IMO, because it was an effort at developing characters who otherwise had no storyline, but they didn't work as a couple for me. I liked them more as friends, but then again, that's how I felt about Edmund and Brooke as well. Not to mention I was never a fan of Edmund and Maria either.

I wish a writer could come in who was a fan of the show back when Agnes wrote it in the 70s. It's a fricking shame that the episodes from 1970-1976 do not exist because the viewing of those eps should be a mandatory pre-requisite for becoming AMC headwriter. It wouldn't even have to be all of it, either.

• Members

Interesting. See what I mean.... she was shopping that rape storyline around.

What is with her and victimizing women?

I agree Angela, that stuff just prior to McTavish taking over was brilliant. Wasdn't McTavish though consulting in the months leading up to the July 1st date when she was first credited as headwriter?

• Members

I can agree that AMC 2003 was great. McTavish, despite having been burned by her at GL and OLTL years before really impressed me. You had SOOOO many characters interacting in the Rape/pregnancy/murder story. Remember, there was the baby shower, Palmer/Adam interacting, Tad and Simone. Wow. But anything aftr Jack and Erica's wedding...garbage (Di notwithstanding). I remember crying Summer 2006 because the show was just a sublime kind of awful I had never experienced before...worse than GL/ATWT (with McTavish writing GL) circa 06, worse than previous McTavish AMC. That woman should never be allowed on television again.

• Members

To be fair they were already planning a rape storyline, lol, which probably just attracted her more strongly back to the pot (uhm no pun intended).

Was she consulting? I have no idea, I do know that she was recapping watching the episode where Erica hugged Kendall after Kendall saved Erica from Michael and she said something like "I was sitting there watching the hug and thinking I really want to write stuff like that." That was in May I believe, and I do believe McTavish's first scripts were the rape in July. She could have been said what she said as a consultant who didn't write that. Darn, I can't find the site that had a few of her 2003 interviews up to get the exact quote/date.

• Members

Thanks Angela. I just remember hearing somewhere she was consulting prior to taking over. And directing the stories to fit with her future vision. Who knows if that's true I just remember hearing something to that affect.

• Members

19, I remember hearing similiar rumblings, so there's a chance that she was definitely consulting which doesn't necessarily mean she had any real influence over the show (but I also definitely read her waxing poetic on wanting to write those E/K type scenes). It would explain how she knew a rape storyline was coming up, but other things would also explain how she knew.

Archived