DAYS: Looks like the soap might be in trouble.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't remember a time B&H have been backburnered like J&M have EVERY YEAR since 2003. It started with Higley (which was about Higley, not Corday).

They do have to pay them, but not until the end of their contract. The way I've understood it, they get paid for the episode they're in for the month, so if they're not in any, then they don't get paid. However, if they haven't fulfilled their "quota" by the end of the contract, they still get paid for them. And if they don't, they can sue for breach of contract. Which costs money.

Marlena's been in 10 episodes. Which is what she'll have been in for January, February and possibly March. Drake won't be on until April. I've never had a problem with couples being happy. I'm not of the same opinion as Corday that happy couples = boredom. John & Marlena were happy in 1986/1987 and they still had kick ass storylines. They were happy from 1998 until 2004, when she died, with a small break in 2001-2002 when her son was abusing her as her husband turned into a mercenary, but they were happy. There's a difference between challanges and unhappiness for a couple.

They weren't supposed to have this cheesy dream story. It was supposed to be realistic and about Marlena fighting like hell to save him and the rest of the town. It was rewritten, we know that because spoilers haven't come true.

For me, it's more sad to have J&M off now than it was in 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006... because now we're missing out on GOOD writing.

Except he did write for them. He wrote some kick ass stuff. I fell in love with J&M all over again (after watching crap for years) during October, November and December... He HAD a plan for them, we knew what the plan was, we even had the spoilers for it. But Corday can't pay them to act it out.

Yeah, seriously. And haven't they treated DH crappy enough already?

• Members

That is not something that is exclusive to Corady. Pretty much every soap is like that. That is why I find it hard to believe that Days simply going to ABC or CBS will solve the problem. Every soap has the problems Days has. There are also somethings that Days does better. At least with Days, you can still say that the Brady's and Horton's are core families. You can't say that about the Martins on AMC. Or the Bauers on GL. Or the Huges on ATWT.

• Members

Didn't a lot of it not being on Screen have to do with Drake taking time off because of the attack on him and his family back in December? How many weeks is Days filming out now? If they are like five or six weeks out and Drake took some time off in early January because of what happened, wouldn't that explain why J&M are being backburned right now and not on screen?

• Members

Juppiter, I don't think TPIR will fall that much. I'm sure they're going to be very conservative with the replacement and we'll hardly notice he's gone. I would hate for it to flop because who knows what would happen to Y&R without it. It could cause a bad domino effect.

• Members

The thing you are looking at there though is TPIR costs way lest to produce. Game shows are supposed to be one of the cheapest forms of shows to produce because of the prizes and then TPIR has the product placements on the shows that advertisers get an extra boost for.

If TPIR fails miserably will CBS look for a cheap show to put back in its place? And if TPIR fails will it further hurt the money they have to pour into daytime?

Right now CBS makes money off TPIR and Y&R has a strong lead-in. If TPIR does fail and I think it will see a fall without Barker, it may not be a good thing - if ratings for it's soaps do start falling without TPIR CBS may be less interested in Days.

It is all a vicious cycle.

Days faces big obstacles ahead. Switching networks will be hard. If a soap is cancelled for it, it will have to deal with the anger of the fans who lost their show. As I pointed out before Capitol faced the wrath of the SFT fans and finished a whole ratings point lower their first season on the air than SFT did in the same time slot.

Corday faces a different climate when he is shopping Days around. The whole genre is bleeding right now and hurting. Even as good as Days looks on paper, getting another network to take the chance is probably going to a lot harder this time.

I hope it survives. I don't see it surviving on NBC at all. CBS or ABC either one are it's best hope, but I see big changes at Days on either network that it moves too unless the show suddenly becomes a mega ratings champ.

• Members

This is BOGUS!!

The posts at SNS do not know what their talking about and either does this other poster.

Just because Hogestyn/Reckell/Alfonso and other actors are not on the screen ***DOES NOT*** mean they are not being paid. They collect their checks regardless of how much screentime they are getting because they are on contract with the show.

As for the show not paying their actors....I absolutely do not believe that for one minute and I am tired of all this useless sh*t floating around the net....until I hear anything from SOD/SOW in CONCRETE form from now on, I will not believe another thing posted on the net regarding DAYS from these so called "insiders".

• Members

I would tend to think the same thing. Plus, the next budget year would always bring a fresh start. I remember when they hired Nancy Frangione to play Cecile on AW, they told her they couldn't pay her a good salary... but then they said after the next budget cycle passed they'd renegotiate and pay her more.

I think we need to find out the facts first. I do agree that if Days goes to another network at the expense of another show, there could be serious trouble. How much? Think what Passions went through with the AW fans, multiplied by about four or five. :)

• Members

I agree Mitch.

I have been reading posts like this for weeks and some of it doesn't add up to me. I always thought they had to be paid regardless. Maybe Dee has a different type deal but I am sure Peter and Kristian still have to be paid.

I also think that Drake did take time off. Seriously, right around the time they were taping the episodes where J&M were off and weren't seen at all (as in not one single airdate during a two week period) was around the time Drake had real life issues so I still think this was the case. It's perfectly understandable that his family needed him and I can totally undetstand if that was the case and that may be why the story was rewritten and we had the balance out of whack for a bit. We don't know nothing for sure but I also know too that there are people all over the bet that are out for Hogan's head still and have been since two weeks into his stint. I started seeing it in November and it hasn't stopped since. I'm not saying that some of what we hear is true but it could easily be another post to stir opposition to Hogan. I don't know why this would happen but some of the crap I have been reading all over the past few months suggests that alot of it is arguing just to argue. Like, for example, you hear people say now how much better the writing was in the summer and fall and, back in the summer and fall, people were bitching about how bad the writing was. They can't makeup their minds what they want.

It's not like 2001 where we went MONTHS without seeing anyone but the teens, Jack, Jen, and Greta. Practically the whole summer and early Fall was thsoe characters andv there was maybe one appearance here and there for Bo, Hope, Marlena, etc. That was much worse. Bo was only off for two weeks and was on quite a bit in January. Hope has been on and off but not gone completely and she is back this week. They have no story of their own (although Bo is involved in Steve's story a little and they are both involved with their children's story) but they had story all of last year and many were asking for a break from them. They get one and now they are pissed they aren't on. If Drake did take time off (and I totally think he did), they probably did have to rewrite some things and that is why Dee hasn't been seen as her primary story right now was her story with him. If Drake is in contract renegotiations, that maybe another factor as maybe alot got put off with his private issues. We don't know what is going on but I am not ready to put all this on the budget issues and on Days. It may be a part of it and probably is but I don't think it is to the same extent as others.

Bottom line is if people are going to give credence to these posts all over the net then they should give credence to the other possibilities too. Peter and Kristian were due for time off after last year and deserve a break from story. Drake could've taken time off fpr his family and there may be contract issues as well and that has Dee in a holding pattern. I'm not saying this is all the case but iwe don't know everything that happens nor will we ever.

Having said all that, I do think NBC is dooming it and it needs to move as soon as they get an opportunity.

• Members

I'm so with you on this one; this thread is totally bogus. Are we all going to be subjected to rumors about Days for the next two years???? This is ridiculous. Why can't we just enjoy the show for what its worth and wait and see what happens? If people want to start letter-writing campaigns great, but enough with the made up rumors.

Archived