DAYS: Looks like the soap might be in trouble.

• Members

DAYS is really enjoyable now though.

They have a young group that can act and all of the storylines are VERY enjoyable. Day to day episodes are worth the watch. BUT, if any single storyline takes the show over (whether it be with teens, adults or whatever), it will be over due. It sucks that the show finally has a good writer who will probably have a good story but will be over dosed with people that not many may want to be seen.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's it exactly. And they've (NBC) tried owning their own show and it didn't work (for THEM). I predict Hogan will quit much like Malone did during his second stint at OLTL.

I've held off talking about DAYS so much because I'm so [!@#$%^&*] angry about it, but this is the [!@#$%^&*] cherry on top.

The pressure from NBC will be to force the ratings down, just like what they did with AW.

• Members

I see what you are saying, and I agree on a lot of levels. I wouldn't mind seeing Marlena and John happy and in love, and supporting as parents for Belle, and Sami; for Bo and Hope to be happy and in love, and be supporting as parents for Shawn and Chelsea. Ultimately, bringing back Steve and Kayla was a mistake I think; as much as I love them. I believe NBC will cancel the show, but that it will be moved elsewhere. The show needs to plan for the future, and it falls on Hogan now to create memorable new characters, if it's true the budget isn't there for the more expensive performers. Something tells me, much like new actors, vets like Suzanne Rogers, Peggy Mckay, and James Reynolds, and reacurring actors like Tanya Boyd, and Bill and Susan Hayes, aren't being paid that much. Use them in story; I would love to see lots of Doug, Julie, Maggie, Abe, and Celeste.

• Members

Creating new characters for a show that may not go anywhere past 2009 is pointless. Yes you can build some sort of a future but the next generation or future should NOT be foundation of the show AT ALL. You might as well change the title of the show or cancel it and create a spin off. Because, in all practicality that is what it will be.

• Members

Well, I think this debate is really useless. I mean, if there aren´t enough of money to pay the vets, there simply aren´t enough money to pay them and that´s it. We can speculate and argue how wonderfull it would be if they were on frontburner or viceversa, but it will not change anything. Corday cannot fire everybody except them, because he has 5x40 mins of show weekly he has to fill with stories. And Sheffer isn´t able to tell stories with characters Corday can afford to appear only few times per month.

DAYS isn´t first nor last soap which is forced to bacburnered its major characters for budget reasons. We will see what happens. But if Corday really wants try to sell the show elsewhere in 2009, he will need to prove the show is still viable. Nobody is going to be interest in a soap museum with all major character over fifty.

• Members

See, that's my whole point, Phoe, It seems like, despite what others say, AMC is making it work because they have fewer vets now than ever, and even with an average rating, I'm guessing the small salaries for everyone except for Susan's MEGA bucks make them not NEED the huge ratings that "Days" does, if that makes any sense. Again, it's pure speculation. But if the ratings were "fine" now, profit-wise, if three or four vets were bumped to recurring, they may be in the clear.

Edit: This is all PURE speculation on my part, just trying to make sense of things.

• Members

Exactly.

It was good while it lasted, and now I'll just enjoy the writing for the characters I DO get to see.

I've already ranted and raved about how I feel towards NBC in regards to all of this.

Corday can't fire the whole frickin' cast and leave just Bo, Hope, John and Marlena. There would be no soap.

Eh, whatever. The whole thing sucks ass.

• Members

Like you said it is useless, we can go back and fourth and you're right. But I'm not talking about those people alone. DAYS is an ensemble just like any other show. I don't see why John, Marlena, Bo, Hope and Steve and Kayla are the ones people are picking on so much. They have given this show a lot of its life, some of them almost 20 years. At one point it is time to go, of course. No one is saying the show should become a museum of characters over 50, I think that's pretty silly. But no characters should take over this show and definitely not new ones. Building a future generation for a future that may not exist is dumb. Just balance it out, that is all I am saying. I'm not saying the vets should be on all the time. I'm not saying the teens or younger crew shouldn't be on at all. There needs to be balance. And characters shouldn't become instantly front burner either. It's not going to send the show off any better than it is now. And since they know the show is dying in 2009 what is the big deal anyways? They should try and send it off respecting both old and new viewers of the show. It's a hard concept, apparently.

• Members

Well, based on number of appearances I´m pretty sure SN and MBE paychecks are much thinner than would be corresponding with their veteran/soap megastars status. We will see what happens with B/H now, when their contract is almost over. I wouldn´t be surprised if they are both demoted to recurring.

Archived