Getting a new Soap on the air

• Members

Ok

Does anyone know the process of writing a BIBLE for a daytime Drama?

How much does it cost to get the finished product copyrighted?

Also since the networks arent that big on daytime dramas now could a daytime drama work in the syndication market?

Any pros and Cons?

Thanks

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hmm, I know MyNetwork TV is struggling, but I think you'd probably have a better chance trying to sell a telenovela to them than trying to syndicate a full-blown soap. Also, you could pitch to other countries I suppose, like the UK, where soaps are more respected.

I am not connected with "the industry" though, so really can't help you much on your questions I'm afraid.

• Members

Can't you just get a copyright from mailing the bible to yourself and keeping the package sealed? I'm pretty sure I heard that before.

I think a new soap could succeed, but when was the last time a traditional soap was launched? Both SuBe and PSNS were experimental soaps and PC was young and progressive. If someone launched a traditional, multi-generational soap with a clear vision, it could work. Y&R, Capitol and B&B are great modern examples of that. Be bold and original, but at the core it has to be a traditional soap.

MyNetworkTV was a bad idea and it was rushed. What would've been better is the original plan to air them on FOX networks during daytime. It would draw more attention from the soap press and be easier to promote. FOX is launching a news show ala Today, so why not add the two soaps?

• Members

Does anyone know if the bible is just the back story of the characters and their descriptions or does it actually include ideas for episodes as well

I want to give this a try so im trying to make sure I have all the bases covered

• Members

While a copyright is very important, there is another route to protect intellectual property without an official copyright.

(I'm not 100% sure on this information, so you may want to do more research)

I believe you can send a copy to the Writers Guild of America, along with a nominal fee. The WGA will file the copy along with the date that it was received. This is done in case someone "steals" your idea somewhere down the road and attempts to pass it off as their own. In any sort of legal action, the WGA would be able to verify the date they filed your soap bible which can be used to determine if an idea was actually "stolen" and who "stole" it.

Good luck on your attempt, and unlike some of the other posters, I do not share their pessimism concerning the daytime genre. Sure the news of NBC's cancellation of "Passions" and imminent cancellation of "Days of Our Lives" (in 2009) are distressing, CBS continues to show confidence in the genre and the much maligned ABC soaps appear to be on a ratings upswing - despite rumors of an expanded "Good Morning, America" and the demise of "All My Children" or "One Life to Live".

Archived