ATWT: Will something be done now before it's too late?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Bite your tongue Chandler.... :unsure:

All that is going on with the other soaps should be a wake up call to Passante to get her butt in gear. I know thera are Willen Fans out there, as well as Carjack fans (hell, I'm a CarJack fan, but even I can't stand it anymore), but it would be nice to give them a break.

Carly and Jack have been in angst since he lost his memory. First with the Julia Larabee crap; then with Julia's ex Les...then right into the battle of baby Johnny with Gwen/revelation that Gwen was her half-sister; to the downfall of Jack's careeer, which causes Carly to try to do whatever to get his job back; all the wey up to Carly dropping all that she loves to be with a man who could care less about her.

Granted, I am glad that Tom is getting a storyline, but the majority of the storylines revolve around Craig...

• Members

I don't know but the ratings really worried me this week, I don't think all the ABC soaps have ever been ahead of ATWT at one time, and they are not alittle bit ahead they are quite a bit ahead. I think the problem is it is the same characters everytime we tune into ATWT, Craig/Paul/Dusty/Emily/Will/Gwen/Adam/Jade/Katie/Mike/Simon/Carly and that is it. Everything I see on air I feel like I have seen a million times. Paul/Craig/Emily/Dusty are nothing but thugs and it is like repeating the same storyline all the time, and when JP finally does something different for Paul she picks the stupidest storyline for him to be physic GMAFB, how boring. Gwen/Will/Iris/Adam are so boring I almost fall asleep watching them, what is there point anyway. And Katie she just needs to go, I really don't care to see Katie and whoever she is [!@#$%^&*] this week how boring can you get.

All in all I can just about sum up ATWT this way the whole show is filler material and when that happens the show sucks. I don't mind a few scenes to fill up empty space, but when the whole show seems like filler storylines I don't care to watch.

If JP or Barbara Bloom cared about ratings they would get Luke a boyfriend ASAP and trust me that alone would take ATWT back up to third place. I think it is funny that they were worried that Luke's storyline would make the ratings lower, well look at what the ratings have done since Luke has not had a story they have done nothing but FALL. Where are the Vets of the show, most viewers want to see the vets in storylines, that is another way to increase ratings. Also bring the DRAMA back to the DRAMA show, there is no drama at all these days, nothing but who's sleeping with who, and who is going to get who next, it is all boring.

Another thing that bothers me is they start two stories that might be really good Casey's and Lily/Faith but they choose to only show them once a week, which leaves me not interested in them at all. Also the Tom and Margo story looked like it had promise but it looks like that is alreay over with, it is amazing how she makes a good storyline like Tom and Margos last a week. Yet she drags these dumb boring storylines out for months and months and months and months and months.

I don't know but something needs to be done about JP because at this rate I am really worried that ATWT will not be on the air this Christmas.

• Members

The problem is we see the same eight or so every damn week! Plus, their storylines are not interesting enough to keep me or other fans glued to the TV set. Why can't Jean and Chris see this? Now, they hire Austin Peck to play Brad. She doesnt even know who Brad is. Friday's show proved it. He was smoking and had made a mess at Emma's farm. That is not Brad Snyder. I hate that Jean rewrites the characters to fit the storyline.

IMO, AP is an awful actor. And Brad has never been a fan favorite with the fans. Do Jean and Chris ever do their homework concerning the popular characters of Oakdale?

And after seeing Ryan's previews for next week it is all the same bull Jean has been giving us.

• Members

I find it ironic that when I was grumping about ATWT this summer, I was a grump. Now that everyone's grumping about it, ATWT's just bad.

But onward and upward.

The show is fixable. Even if, God forbid, Pissy remains at the helm. SOMEONE needs to take in the reigns on her though. She needs a strong Co-Head writer who can take her general outline and punch it up. Those story bubbles need to be broken, PRONTO, and characters need to interact more. (C'mon...I wasn't the only one floored that Carly and Gwen got a scene together before Maura left, was I?)

Suggestions...

1) Stay away from the insta-relationship. Katie and Brad? Already doomed. Adam and Jade? Two serious conversations, they jumped on each other, and have barely talked since, and now Adam's eyeing up Gwen. There's no ROMANCE on the show anymore! Where are Maddie and Casey? They were really poised to break out after the Slasher story, then they got dropped like a hot potato for Gwennie's music career. Just because a relationship should work on paper, doesn't mean it will.

2) too many hasty marriages, near marriages, divorces and break ups on the show. Relationships need time to develop, or no one cares. (And I don't mean the three months between the vows and the first infidelity.)

3) Shamelessly pimp the pimpable. I didn't like InTurn, but it had people talking. It got press. I didn't particularly like Luke's coming out story, but again, it got PRESS and lured viewers in. The Slasher and the Ice Storm got promotions. If you've got it, flaunt it. Give Luke a love interest. Heck, give that Elwood kid a real story. There's a reason he won a popularity contest. You've got a bunch of pre-teens now (Faith, Parker, JJ, Daniel) use them!! (I actually think Parker and Faith are fairly good..) Give them "myspace.com" pages and blog their thoughts or whatever the kids do nowadays. And don't tell me kids don't like soaps. They love the nighttime ones.

4) STOP luring stars back for limited runs. It only hurts everything it touches. Paul Leyden was probably the most "wanted" return we've had in ages. (Not by me personally...) And they managed to f*ck it up. FROM DAY ONE. It added nothing, and only diluted the Carjack and Matie stories. He became the focal point, and storywise it was a dead end. Don't even get me started on the hostage situation that was Cady McClain's tenure here. You can't tailor a story to fit a deadline. Or you can't throw in everything and the kitchen sink, and expect to end up with anything but a huge, gloppy mess.

5) PACING. It's a good thing. Situations need to simmer. Paul and Meg fight? Okay...play it real. They fight on Monday, and they don't even talk to each other again until the next Friday. They don't fight/break up/make up/fight again....all in the same episode.

6)....and this is non-negotiable...REUNITE Carly and Jack, and COMMIT TO THEM. Yes, I'm selfish, LOL. But what I mean by "commit" is give them a story to show them committed to staying together for a reasonable length of time before trying to break them up. Like...two years. The constant on-the-verge of a break up story is way past "old". And, I'd actually say that a reasonable length of "happiness" should be mandatory for EVERY couple.

• Members

As has been stated before...Sheffer had a pretty good first year on ATWT. After Carolyn Culliton left, and JP became his co-head writer, the show began a repetitive spiral of storytelling. While I'm happy DOOL fans are happy with his first six months, please get back in touch with me in year 3 or 4. Or hey...even when he's been there an entire year.

If you want to save yourself time, I'm sure I can find some old ATWT recaps.

• Members

I agree. When Carolyn Culliton left ATWT slowly started going downhill. But also the male writers were let go as well: Hal Corley and Stephen Demorest(two of the best in daytime). Once all that happened ATWT started changing and not for the better.

• Members

Well this Jean P [!@#$%^&*] betta not step foot in the sububs of Salem. I have seen her kind before. Jean P has told me herself, with the images she put upon my screen and I watched. My eyes were wacthin JEAN P, and I pray I never have a moment in my life like that again. JEAN P kan go to the HEAD WRITERS HELL Where she will meet Tom, Lagan, JER BUT A MUCH SLIMMER VERSION KUZ HE SWEATED OFF THE POUNDS FROM THE HEAT OF HELL, MCT will be there as well.

Archived