DAYS: "Geezers, Step Aside!"

• Members

Oops, I meant 2003 when Reilly came back, I just got the year wrong. It just SEEMED like Reilly was there so much longer than 3 years. LOL

Tony wasn't even on the show in 2001, he didn't return til 2002 with C&B and his mysterious illness.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wait until Hogan gets settled, there will be new characters (teens) galore, EJ will take over the show and the vets will be on the backburner. Hogan made it clear he didn't know what to do with them at ATWT so he just didn't write for them. Ever. I'm talking 20 appearances a year. Right now he has to make a good impression, but the time will come.

Larry Brygmann a 30+ year cast member (also an Emmy winner) was fired without an exit scene, or a cake or anything. Just kicked to the curb. Eileen Fulton had to regularly bitch to the soap mags just to be featured at all. When he finally did want to use her she was ill so he recast!

Both characters had lots of family in town, but Hogan still didn't use them. Just wait!

• Members

I for one, I am really pleased with this. I love the vets, mostly across the board, and I definitely want them to be used in the right way, but Sheffer has a point. He has taken over the healm at a very crucial point on so many levels. I think that this 'shift of power' is very naturual and am more than excited that Philip is actually going to grow some balls! I can't wait to see JKJ back on my screen...! Victor is such a great character and still has plenty of steam to be involved in story, but he won't be there for ever. I much prefer to see a well written transition of generation than just all of a sudden have this younger cast shoved down my throat.

Same goes with E.J. I really like this character as well. and he seems to draw quite the debate, which is a just another plus for Days. People are actually talking about this soap again, something Sheffer referred to in an interview when he first came on. He wanted people to start talking again, about such a classic soap.

I say, well done Sheffer! and keep it comin'!

• Members

Characters like Bo and Hope came to the frontburner as vets like Doug and Julie were asked to step back (and eventually let go). If Doug and Julie, Mickey and Maggie, and Bill and Laura had remained the stars of this show, Bo and Hope and others would be very different from the characters we know so well today.

• Members

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ Jan 9 2007, 01:01 AM)
Wait until Hogan gets settled, there will be new characters (teens) galore, EJ will take over the show and the vets will be on the backburner. Hogan made it clear he didn't know what to do with them at ATWT so he just didn't write for them. Ever. I'm talking 20 appearances a year. Right now he has to make a good impression, but the time will come.

Larry Brygmann a 30+ year cast member (also an Emmy winner) was fired without an exit scene, or a cake or anything. Just kicked to the curb. Eileen Fulton had to regularly [!@#$%^&*] to the soap mags just to be featured at all. When he finally did want to use her she was ill so he recast!

Both characters had lots of family in town, but Hogan still didn't use them. Just wait!

Chris,

I want to stay positive and optimistic at this point. I have heard about his use of vets on ATWT many times and here's to hoping that he has learned from those mistakes(which was his first HW job, if I'm not mistaken)

maybe that just me... :)

• Members

But unlike what he's said over at ATWT, Hogan knows apparently knows the vets on DAYS pretty well and has been using them. I'm not believing it until I see it.

And are we forgetting that Deidre Hall, Drake Hogestyn, Kristian Alfonso, Peter Reckell, etc. are vets? I mean, when is the age point where the Hayses, McCay, Aniston, Rogers are no longer considered the only "vets" on the show? I'm thinking that since a new generation is quickly sweeping through Salem, that pushes everyone else up the bracket as well. And we are seeing many of the vets so :P

• Members

Well we will see. Bo and Hope are the same age as Tom and Margo a couple her LOVED on ATWT and proceeded NEVER to use. The good thing about DAYS is that some of the vets (John, Marlena, Bope, etc) are so popular he won't be able to ignore them. But the ones older can forget it.

He was at ATWT for five years and he only got worse as the years progressed. I think he's a very overrated writer, but thats just my opinion.

• Members

I couldn't agree more.

When Hogan first got hired, we had these ATWT vs Days debates and Hogan has been on Days since October and, despite some similar ways he writes certain characters, he is writing Days much different. The vets are being used much more then they were ever used under JER (McCay was used quite a bit under JER but only in 2006). Most of Days are vets so he is never really going to run into trouble in that area unless he gets rid of most of the cast :lol: .

• Members

Yeah, I was going to say something like this. I remember Hogan had some interview when he was writing ATWT where he said he had three old ladies and an old guy or something like that, and he didn't know what to do with them.

But, if he's doing better on Days, maybe it was Chris Goutman's fault all along?

• Members

I think he is doing the right thing but he better not backburner the vets either. That would be no different than what Langan did when he "passed the torch". Plus wasn't Stefano leaving town saying something about the next generation?? Hogan is doing a fine job now the minute the teens ever become frontburner and there is imbalance he will suffer. But yeah, what he says makes sense.

• Members

Langan's young generation was cardboard, though. For starters, they were all terrible actors and actresses. The characters were all interchangeable because they had no character, no individual identities. The same can't be said of Hogan's young cast. You have great young actors and actresses, and characters with individual personalities all their own. It's a whole different game.

Besides, he used EJ and Phillip as an example of the show's 'next generation villain.' The last I checked, neither of those characters is a teen (after SORAS, LoL) like all of Langan's litter was.

• Members

True but with them Victor and "Stefano" (in some form LOL) should always have a presence, but like you said, not the "big" one. IA the "young" generation is very capable now but I still don't think they can carry this show on their own.

Archived