General Hospital: Best Daytime Show of 2006?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The best daytime show of 2006 was not GH, it was the rejuvenated Y&R. GH was a close 2nd & ATWT was a distant 3rd (only b/c of the 1st half of '06).

Y&R was great from Jan. to June, Sept-Oct, and the start of Dec. Even though they breathed new life into the show, I just wish that Latham & Hamner knew more about Y&R's history so it could be much better. The same can be said for all head writers. It has the potential to gain more than a million viewers & to blow its competitors out of the water. How about a 24hr SOAPnet marathon? Primetime airings on CBS and/or The CW? :D

2006 Report Card (Quality, not ratings performance)

Y&R- strong B (The King of American Daytime TV :D)

GH- solid B (Not good enough, Guza Jr.)

OLTL- weak C+ (Why was Higley hired after her show-destroying stint on DAYS?)

B&B- weak C (Obsessed with campyness, buzz, gimmicks, disgusting love triangles & incest)

ATWT- weak C (Passanante became a show destroyer)

GL- strong C - (Wheeler loves GL; millions of others don't)

DAYS- weak D (JER (B. Milstein was wrapping up JER's storylines, not her own) from Jan 1- Oct. 4, remember?)

AMC- weak D (SFMC destroyed Nixon's fav baby)

PSN- weak D - (How many chances will NBC give JER? :lol:)

• Members

Some day-to-day things may have worked on GH -- like the inclusion of more of the cast in stories -- but the show still has HUGE fundamental flaws, IMO. The least of them, unfortunately, is the fact that it is SO boring right now. And once you have indifference setting in among the audience, then the show is well on its way to being lost.

• Members

With the rise in ratings as of late, I don't see the indifference in the audience that you are talking about Cat. That is just my opinion, but for the most part I am hearing more positive remarks about GH right now that I have since February during the virus storyline.

I know I for once have enjoyed it more since the end of November than I have in a long time. You are right it still has some things that are fundamentally wrong and need to be corrected, but there are many days I enjoy it more than most of the other shows I watch.

On a daily basis I always rate it at least 2 or 3 of the soaps I watch. Y&R is usually #1 lately on a daily basis.

• Members

Just my own personal viewpoint, SteveFrame. The ratings over the past few weeks have seen a little jump, but as I understand it, so did most soaps. Thanks to Christmas vacation, more people were at home and inclined to tune in.

Since Nov, I personally have found GH dreadfully dull. Just the same old SLs treading water. Liz's pregnancy saga? Check. Sam being needy with Jason? Check. Sonny & Carly, part 20 billion? Check. Carly stomping all over everybody's business? Check. Lulu and Spinelli had some cute scenes, but it wasn't enough to hold my attention.

• Members

GH has been holding on to it's rating though. They have not dropped below the 2.6 mark and have mostly been at 2.6 or 2.7 and then did get the 2.8 bump this week.

The other shows even Days which is great have dropped all the way down to 2.4 in the last few weeks.

Even GH's daily numbers have been very consistent since the 3rd week of November. This is the most consistent GH's ratings have been in several months. I don't think they have been out of 3rd place since maybe the first of November.

I agree with you about some of those stories but the ones that I keep hearing a lot of talk about are Ric & Alexis, Alexis' cancer, and Lulu's search for Rick's killer. Those are the ones that off the message boards have people interested and tuning in. Sure some of the stuff is the same old same old, but there are other great things going on and there is a lot more of the characters involved in the stories these days. Still wish more vets were used but I applaud them for using so many of the cast.

• Members

Seriously? Minus the romance between Patrick and Robin, and of course the incredible Nancy Lee Grahn (who they truly don't deserve to have on their show), GH sucked. They wrecked their best twosome, had the summer of sleaze, etc etc etc.

DAYS, from October until now was the best show of 2006. Not perfect, but they've had some fantastic moments.

• Members

Linn (Pest Spray) I agree with you that they ruined their best couple. And I agree with you about Patrick & Robin. I forgot to include them in my good points about the show. And from August to November I couldn't hardly watch the show, but the rest of the year GH was tops.

I am just glad that someone else besides SOD said so. Many accused GH of buying that one, but this is about the 3rd group or critics that have named GH the best of 2006.

None of the shows were perfect in 2006 and we will have our opinions on which one was great. Days had a good month in Jan then have been lots better since October.

ATWT had a good first 6 months and then faltered miserably.

Y&R was hit and miss the first few months, then rocked all spring and summer. Then had a weak fall, but since October IMO they have been the best show of 2006 with Days close behind them.

I think of all the shows GL has been the most consistent, and considering what they have to work with deserve a lot of praise but I still wouldn't consider them the best of 2006.

I just think overall GH had the most months at the top and deserves this for 2006 with Y&R running very close to them with ATWT next, then GL, and then for 4 months of greatness Days sneaks in there next.

• Members

I completely 100% agree with this. GH was the best soap of 2006. They had the virus storyline, Luke and Laura's 25th anniversary, amazing performances from the actors, young and old alike. The hospital scenes returned and balanced out the mob (well, at least for the first half of the year). I actually enjoyed GH for the first time since I started watching in 2003.

I would say Y&R, but LML has destroyed this gem in a matter of 10 months. I shutter to even think about what we'll be saying in January 2008 :(

• Members

I am not sure what soap the writer was watching but all I saw GH as this year was ratings stunt after ratings stunt, all of which fell flat for me. Welcome to ABC Daytime :lol:

Y&R was clearly the best soap this year overall.

Archived