General Hospital: Best Daytime Show of 2006?

• Members

GH started off good but it sucks now. I loved how Carly was building a life away from Sonny and with Jax but that was all blown to hell when Sonny and Emily failed. I hate Sonny & Carly together and I want her with Jax. Jasam sucks and I hate how they are basically intact while the show destroyed Liz & Lucky and Ric & Alexis. Liz and Jason are boring as hell and the whole ONS with Liz getting pregnant is stupid. The best part of 2006 was defintly Srubs, They were solid all year while the rest of the show pretty much sucked. And now that we have started a new year, GH has NEVER been worse.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you watch Scrubs and watch the rest of the show, it is like you have two different soaps. Scubs has been a slow build good old fashioned love story while the rest of the show has been boring ass mob crap that we have seen a million times before.

• Members

I didn't say that Days stayed at 2.4. I said it dropped to 2.4. My point was that so many are posting about how bad GH is and doesn't deserve the award it got and then there was the post questioning whether GH's rise was just due to the holiday push that caused all soaps to go up. My point was that it was not. GH has been steady holding on the 2.6 threshold since November while all the other soaps such as Days, AMC, OLTL, and ATWT had dropped to 2.4. Days was mentioned specifically because it is the closest to GH. GH has not dropped below 2.6 but Days has been as low as 2.4 in the last few weeks. I did not say that Days dropped and stayed there.

• Members

I don't get the constant praise for GH. As far as I know, the mob and writers' favorites like Sam still continue to dominate and real longtime vets are not used or get very little story (hence the firing of Stuart Damon). Is the Brokeback Mafia/Sopranos Lite that popular?

• Members

As I said earlier Bree in this post, those are not the stories that seem popular at least among the fans I talk to and correspond with.

Fans love the Patrick/Robin story, Alexis' cancer story, the Alexis/Ric story - their feud, divorce, custody battle, they love Tracy/Luke even though Luke is on vacation right now, and they love the search for Rick Webber's killer right now. Also not me but many others do love Lucky's story. I think it is okay but it is not one of my particular faves.

Besides the Mob stuff, GH has a lot more going right now and the hospital is actually featured a lot more these days. The Mob stuff gets a lot of air play but so do many of the other stories right now.

• Members

I agree and I also agree with Bree.

GH is a little better and I stress the word little. However, they brought back fan faves only to shove them to the backburner and mostly everything still runs through the mob stuff.

To me, they still rely on ratings gimmicks and stunts. The one thing I will say is they have understood that they have to have solid stuff and more movement after a sweeps stunt so that people don't tune out and that is a plus but the stuff is crap IMO. The mob stuff is sickening and I personally hate how they went back to Sonny and Carly at this juncture when Carly was on her and moving on with Jax and so on. I liked her that way. I am not opposed to Sonny and Carly but it was far too predictable the way it happened.

I have no interest in Liz/Jason and Maxie is appalling. I can't stand her or Storms and it's hard to watch Maxie after RR got tossed aside after growing up on the show. The loss of Stuart Damon that is coming up is going to really hurt. They are losing the Q's and that family is the cetnerpiece of GH along with the Hardy's. I stuck with the show a bit after turning in for Laura's return but now I only watch whenever nothing else is on. This is not the way GH should be and, to me, it's about the same as it has been for the last few years except for being a little bit better. I think the reason why it's a little better is because of Alexis's cancer story, which has been ok for the most part.

I give soap of 2006 to Y&R. The first half of the year and John's death were solid (even though I hate the destruction of the Abbott's) and Y&R did have about two good weeks in December where I started getting into it again before it went back to boring for me.

• Members

Yep I totally agree with this! GH is by and away the best soap of 2006 and I admit I am completely biased. Loved Laura, Luke and Tracy, The Virus storyline, Scrubs, Liason. Even a little bit of Maxie. Of course if I could throw Emily and Sam off the nearest bridge I would be happy.

The only reason I want Sonny to stay is I am holding out hope that someday Vanessa Marcil will return

• Members

Because I am sick of them focusing on murderering mobsters and women who turn themselves in knots for them. I know that the mob has always played a part in GH but it was never this bad. When Claire Labine wrote for thie show, you had the mob couples like Sonny & Brenda balanced with couples like Ned & Lois. You don't have that anymore. It is all about Sonny, Jason and their mob molls while couples like Ric & Alexis, Lucky & Liz, and Robin & Patrick either get destroyed or they are backburned.

Archived