2007: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Members

I'm not so sure about Josh Griffin anymore. He last stint at OLTL was dreadful and now Y&R is dreadful with him. OLTL was blamed on Malone and Y&R on Latham, but he's involved as well. I certainly wouldn't be jumping to hire him.

BTW, I read on another board that the Y&R set has been shut down for a week to retool the storylines. I'll look for it in the soap mags when I go out today. Hopefully it means a busy couple of months for this thread with Latham's ass out the door.

Unfortunately, I doubt it. I predict more newbies, more changes and some vet firings because it's obviously Y&R's fault and not Latham.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wonder what would happen if LML were shown the door...would Edward Scott be asked back as EP and Kay Alden/John Smith back as HW? I'd simply like a happy medium between new and old, kind of like it was back in May 2006 (when Y&R was firing on all cylinders).

• Members

Yes. I mean, for God's sake, why the hell did ABC even THINK of rehiring Megan McTavish to write AMC for a THIRD time even worse than the last two? She hacked up, butchered, slashed, damn-near KILLED this show before someone FINALLY got the hint that the woman needed to go. It should have NEVER even gotten as far as her getting the job as head writer, because AMC had one hell of a time trying to bring itself up out of the depths she sank it to back during the late 1997-1999 stint.

I don't mind promoting from within. Michelle Patrick would be dreamy for me! I'm really curious to see what kinds of stories she'd come up with (if she ever wanted/was offered the position). But Addie Walsh, on the other hand, can sit down. That Fourth of July Fusion mess she and Amanda Beall wrote could've stayed in the writer's room in the reject pile.

• Members

Re: all those fired Y&R directors

There is no one credited yet, but this week B&B had a slightly different feel more classic Y&R-feel, especially on Thursday. There has been a frequent use of mirror shots which was a trademark on Y&R and never so much on B&B. I kinda wonder if someone is joining the directing team of B&B very soon...

I also wonder when Kay Alden is going to wind up in the credits. The show has already started to have heavy character & story rotation butthis could also be Janice Ferri Esser's doing. On the hand, KA started more than a month ago at B&B so I guess she will be credited only as soon as she really is involved in the writing process heavily.

• Members

Re:Josh Griffin

You have a point Chris B, but when he was at ATWT during the first few months of Jean Passanante the show was on fire. As soon as he left Passanante's tenure took a nose dive and hasn't recovered from it yet.

Wasn't Josh writing solo the first few months of 2003 before Malone arrived. Stuff like the storm of change, etc, etc were good.

I wish GL would have a complete overhaul with it's writing team like Y&R is doing. Too many people are left over from the Rauch and Conboy tenures, and there's not enough people like Tita Bell and Penelope Koechl.

Days has the best writing team IMO, it seems to happen whenever Sheffer takes the reigns at a soap.

• Members

I would give Hogan a 6 or 7 of greatness, though he's not the best.

I never Knew JG was over at ATWT. I read somewhere that he is writing a new soap. I wish he would come help Hogan with Days, that show needs it. I have stopped recording and now have stopped wacthing. Knowing Y&R and B&B is so good on a daily, when I get to Days, I be like" Damn here we go again. I am watching out of habit, not good interesting stroylines. It's hard watching Y&R and then to watch Days. It's a big let down. This is proably the wrong thread for this post, but I need to make my voice louder. Hogan cant write storylines.

I also think they should have Let Conboy stayed at GL. I'll never understand why he got fire.

And for that matter, why didn't P&G try to snatch the ousted Y&R crew?

P.s. Days is Hogan's only second show.

• Members

I totally agree! If anything, I thought Hogan's team at ATWT, during his first two years there, were impeccable. They really carried his writing imo. Days' current writing staff isn't half as good as Hogan's writing staff at ATWT. I think Days has some horrible script writers and that's definitely the department that the show needs work on the most.

Hogan should try to snag Carolyn Culliton for Days, because she was the real reason behind his success at ATWT, during his first two years. After she left, everything fell apart rapidly. I think Meg Kelly is a lackluster co-head writer...

• Administrator

Yeah, the writing team for Hogan's first couple of years was awesome. MADD's mandate to fire 'men writers and hire more women writers' was extremely stupid (not saying that women can't write LOL). Firing Richard J. Allen, Stephen Demorest and Hal Corley dumb.

I agree. I wanted CCulliton as Hogan's co-HW from the start. Maybe they had a falling out or she just doesn't want to be a HW anymore. :(

• Members

Carolyn is OLTL's best script writer and they would take a huge hit if she went to work with her pal Hogan. I must admit though, she along with Hogan made ATWT great. It would be interesting to see if their chemistry could work on another show as well.

Archived