All Soaps: Writing Staff changes after Sweeps

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think all of the press with exits, changes, etc. is whats causing the problems at Y&R. Once that settles down I think fans will enjoy it better. It's still transitioning and working things out, IMO. The ratings are still really good, they even got a 4.6 this week so I think that overall it's working. People are tuning in and sticking around. I'm sure SOAPnet has something to do with it as well.

• Members

I still don't have many issues with Y&R. The completely overhaul does concern me a little since there are not many Bell-ites left behind the scenes.... but Latham did breathe life back into the show, there is no question about it. Y&R became dull and preditable under Smith's reign and needed something to spice it up.

We will see how it all plays out when all the changes are in place but overall, Latham I think ahs been a success.

As for these new rumours surrounding AMC and Burton Armus/[S.W.S.N.B.N.]. I refuse to believe any of these "inside scoops" anymore because nothing is happening. Until I see something from ABC... I am assuming McTavish will continue spewing her crap.

• Members

The thing with Y&R is a lot of casual fans (the majority of daytime viewers btw) are tuning in and loving the new look the show has, whereas the long-time diehard fans are a bit disturbed at the overwhelming changes. Y&R's rise in the ratings, even though it's on SoapNet, is very much due to ABC soap fans who discovered the show on SoapNet and are now tuning into CBSD to view the original airing.

• Members

Wow...the inside scoops are back :lol::D All this is coming out of nowhere after months and months without it :lol: .

Seriously, the fact that CBS has ghost writers backing up their already good writers while ABC is letting crappy writers run amok is disturbing. B&B could use some changes as well

:lol: to Rowell and Boof pitching a fit about Davetta. I love her and if she comes to Days in that story I will be so excited!!! That sounds like a great Abe/Lexie/Tek story.

I am very concerned about Y&R. Loved it earlier this year but find it pretty bad right now and with all the changes I am very worried. It may be doing well now but even GH did well for awhile before finally fans got fed up in the last year or so. Eventually, if this stuff continues, the ratings will be impacted as many are upset with what is going on.

• Members

This I can believe. On the OLTL message boards, many long time disgruntled fans have checked into Y and R, and liking what they see. It may not be what the Y and R fans have been accustomed to, but it still is tons better than the minor effort ABC is putting into especially OLTL and AMC -- barely constituting life support. Drucilla is allowed to be a strong, passionate if not always the most intelligent woman. Jack has been scheming for months, but the audience is allowed to see a viable comeuppance coming -- Latham and Griffith are promoting a comeuppance, not giggling about 'redeeming' Jack.

The teens are there, the elders are there, with a good mix of in between. It also seems there is some control and planning. They even brought on a consultant for the Carmen whodunit, which didn't happen twenty five years ago, but onscreen. One other plus: Y and R doesn't appear to have the glaring onscreen contract issues that have plagued OLTL: Natalie's pit, Antonio's bear trap, Nora's coma, Christian is/isn't Christian, and of course John McBain's funeral.

• Members

I started watching Y&R because AMC is so bad right now. And I love it!! It does seem so much better to me than what AMC has been for quite awhile. I am new to it so maybe that is why I don't understand why so many long time viewers are not happy. Maybe they should watch AMC or OLTL for a while to appreciate how good Y&R really is!! And I remember seeing a thread making fun of Michael/Lauren's baby Phenmore's name (however you spell) and I thought try watching a soap that names a kid Spike. LOL.

• Members

I think the problem that some of Y&R long time fans are having is that LML's writing and pacing is so much different from Bill Bell and Jack Smith. I heard a lot of complaints about Bell and Smith for dragging s/ls out forever, so it's a give and take. Whenever a show changes HW, the transition won't be flawless. LML has to incorperate her own style in to the show and that's gonna take some time. Lets not forget that Jack Smith wrote LML into a corner with some of the things he did before he stopped being HW.

Thhe thing about Y&R is no matter how much you don't like something about it, it's hard to completely give up and stop watching because you can almost bet that you'll see familiar vets in major s/ls. SoapNet also is a bg part of the reason Y&R's ratings ahve gone up even though some fans aren't happy with the show right now because I know for sure some ABCD fans have watched Y&R on soapNet and now watch in on CBS during the da and watch the ABCD shows at night.

Archived