Days of our Lives Casts Stefano DiMera's Long-Lost Son, Etc.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Marie was engaged at the beginning of Days to Tony Merritt. The never married because Tony came down with a rare blood disease and felt he'd burden Marie with an invalid if he married her, so he never told her he was ill and ran off. Marie had a nervous breakdown and then married Tony's father Craig Merritt. Marie late miscarried Craig's child and almost had another nervous breakdown. Tony was cured and came back, telling all to Marie. Craig could see that Tony & Marie were still in love, so he did the honorable thing and freed Marie to return to his son and left town. However, Tony & Marie couldn't make things work and Tony left town, too.

Marie then fell in love with a doctor whom brother Bill brought to Salem. Unfortunately, the doctor turned out to be long-lost brother Tommy Horton who'd been presumed killed in action in Korea, but he'd really had undergone POW torture which resulted in amnesia and radical plastic surgery. Marie couldn't deal with the knowledge that she'd fallen in love with her own brother and ran off. At this point, years later (in a slight history rewrite) it is said that she ended up in NY where she met Alex Marshall and entered into a destructive relationship with him that included kinky S&M sex and drug abuse which left Marie pregnant. Marie gave birth to a daughter and put her up for adoption, never telling Alex, and then entered a convent. She would remain a nun until the early 1980s.

You can learn more about Jessica here.

• Members

yay for more Hortons. I too agree with tyler in that I want some people to carry the name 'Horton' forward. They need some male Horton-named people. I still vote for Jeremy. Historically, his mother kept his last name Jacobs. But that could easily be rewritten, especially with Mike living with him. Obviously it wouldnt make sense for this Nick dude to have the Horton name since Marie didn't raise the boy.

and I think you're being a bit hasty about Marie not returning. If her son's on the canvas, her character will now have a strong tie to the show again. I'm sure the boy will eventually end up in the hospital or jail, and require a death-bed visit from his mother. Maree Cheatham is still acting, on Passions recently no less. I'm sure if asked she'd come back. Or, Hogan will just do one of his usual historic-recastings and give her a new spin (ie Dusty, Craig, Meg, Paul)

• Members

Unfortunately unless they do some big rewrites or create some story offscreen, there aren't any Horton males to carry on the name except for Jeremy, and they would have to change his name over to Horton. The earlier writers did a bad job of continuing the Horton name in this sense.

Tommy only had one child that has ever been known about at any point and that was Sandy. As far as is know she has never married. But she could have children but they would go by her husband's name unless they were illegitimate.

Addie of course is a daughter and her children were either Olsons or Williams. And they gave her one son and one grandson (Steve & David), who haven't been heard of on the show in years.

Mickey was made sterile and never had any male heirs. Even when he adopted, they always had him adopt girls.

Bill had 3 children: 2 sons and a daughter. Jeremy is Mike's only known child. Lucas doesn't use the Horton name, and of course both of Jen's children are Devereaux's.

So right now Jeremy is the only hope to have another Horton by name unless Mike comes on with children we didn't know about. Or a son is created for Tommy when there was never one.

And Drew not to start anything in here or hear that this is a different show, I would not count on any of the older Hortons to show up under Hogan. He admitted himself that he just never knew what to do with the older characters on ATWT and he didn't use them much at all. The one story that Bob really got involved him being in a coma for the majority of it. I think Kim's big story had her sick too. Hogan is a very good writer but he doesn't write well for teens and for older characters. I have read several times where he admitted that they weren't where his strength lay. Now Mike and David and maybe even Jessica he could probably write for okay, but I just don't see him doing much for Bill, Laura, Marie, etc. I will be the first to admit he could change, but right now I just don't see it happening.

• Members

The last full time was during the 80's played by Lanna Saunders. She returned for Tom's funeral played then by the original portrayer, Maree Cheatham. I always loved Maree Cheatham as Marie until she left and joined Search For Tomorrow as Stephanie. She was so different from Marie that I didn't like her as Marie when she returned for Tom's funeral. I prefer Lanna Saunders but she is not acting anymore.

• Members

I don't get what the big deal about Nick's last name is. He is a Horton. Get over it. Hope's maiden name was Williams. Julie's maiden name was Olsen. Does that make them any less Hortons than Mike, Jennifer and the rest of them? NO!

• Members

AWESOME NEWS!!

Days has been a roll with casting so I am sure they got good actors. It will be good to have a new Dimera and Horton around.

Steve I do disagree with you. Hogan admitted Days and ATWT are different and Maggie has been on 4 times already this week and Victor was on twice. So far so good and let's remember pretty much most of the cast is vets so Days will doing ok with vets no matter what. Corday will make sure the vets are utilized and so far they are being utilized but who knows. We will see but I do think the vets will be used just as much as before if not more.

I agree Drew. It really isn't no big deal. He will be at the Chrismas tree decorating and everything and he is a Horton. Lucas's last name is not Horton so who cares as long as he is one.

• Members

Phoenix, I did not say that he never used them. He used them from time to time, but not on a regular basis. And certain vets got used more than others. And yes I know that Days if full of vets. ATWT was too, and some of the younger vets like Martha Byrne & Colleen Zenk Pinter got used a lot. And I think Hogan will do that too with the younger vets. And yes I am well aware of the fact that ATWT and Days are 2 different shows. As I have said before (over and over) all shows are different but writers don't change completely when they move from one show to another. Douglas Marland didn't. Agnes Nixon didn't. Irna Phillips didn't. They have a style that follows them. Sheffer is not better than them in that he is going to change his style for each soap he works on. He will not do the same stories from ATWT on Days (at least we hope not), but there are certain things about him that won't change.

Remember it was under Hogan at ATWT that we lost Larry Bryggman as John and Eileen Fulton and Elizabeth Hubbard were constantly unhappy - as was Ellen Dolan. Hopefully Hogan will treat the older characters like Maggie, Doug, Julie and Victor different and use them alot. I hope he does, but since he has already admitted those type of characters are his weakness along with teens, I don't see him bringing back any in that age range was my main point.

• Members

Oh I know what you are saying Steve but Doug and Julie have never been a major part of the show and only appear at big events. Mickey is gone and the rest only get used for certain situations. Caroline and Victor tend to get more play then the other vets and Victor has been getting alot of play of late along with Maggie. Not sure what is up with Caroline but Shawn Sr was on a few time under Hogan. It is wait and see and I hope what he is doing continues. I see your point but I think he realizes what he did at ATWT was a mistake and knows he needs to feature the older vets when he can. ATWT was his first major job so I am sure he learned alot from that. He admitted that in his interview saying he knows he made alot of mistakes and has learned from them so hopefully he did.

Archived