AMC/OLTL: HW Rumor

• Members
These are the two biggest problems with AMC right now. It's *such* a female driven show and the way the women are written is pathetic.

I agree with you! It's really ridiculous that they'd allow GH to lose over a million viewers and not do one thing about it. Fans have been complaining about the show for YEARS yet they refuse to do anything about Guza. I don't understand how they could allow the ABC soaps to get so bad where it's not effecting the ratings. Didn't AMC make it to #2 with the baby switch? The way things are going now, I couldn't even dream of that happening.

He's also running SOAPnet now right? I haven't been pleased with them either. Of course he's given GH another fricking marathon, but there are so many timeslots that need to be filled. There is a major need for a revamp. SoapTalk has been cancelled, Dynasty was taken off so you have those two timeslots wasted.

One thing that really pisses me off is that Ryan's Hope/Port Charles is forced to air at 4 in the morning, yet they're airing two episodes of 90210 in addition to three on Saturdays. Couldn't RH/PC take one of 90210's daily timeslots? Fans of those two shows are the only ones who have to watch in the fricking middle of the night,

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree with you, SheilaForever.

This post of mine is largely overdue, but I just want to state that Bill Bell may have written a slower-paced show, but no one can deny he had viewers salavating with anticipation as each story reached its climax. No one could build months of tension like he did! Sometimes I really miss those days.

• Webmaster

As of Friday, Armus had not signed on the dotted line with ABC Daytime. The reason? Nobody is 100% certain anymore as to which soap he is taking over. He wrote his bible for AMC, but he may not head write AMC afterall. We should hear more word on Armus towards the end of this month or into November. As for Alden, it is hard to say. Is ABC still actively pursuing her? Nobody knows for certain, except for Brian Frons...and the person holding a gun to his head (the gun being his job security).

• Members

So let me get this straight, while AMC continues to suffer, they are fooling around trying to decide where to put him? He already has a storyline bible written, why don't they just go ahead and put him on AMC?? That is the show that is bleeding the most right now. It needs the changes sooner than any of the other ABC soaps. And I would prefer a HW that was familiar with the history of the show over one who doesn't know anything about AMC. If Alden wants to come over to ABC, put her on OLTL. But start making changes NOW, big idiot Frons.

• Members

Please tell me there is hope that someone will fire that gun!!!

Honestly so long as he is there I don't think it matters who is the HW for either AMC or OLTL. My question is who is writing OLTL at this point. I'm presuming that they are bringing on someone new so Hackley is gone at the end of her contract but who is there in the interim?

• Members

Thanks for the update, Errol!

Damn, November is a long way off. I hope the news comes out sooner than that. I might not be taping AMC daily again until January if McT's work is going to keep airing.

This may be a naive to ask, but does it matter so much which show Armus is writing when he signs his contract? Is it with ABC daytime in general or does he have to sign a different one for each soap? Why can't ABC buy his current AMC bible even if they move him to OLTL and bring in Alden for AMC later?

• Members

This sounds absolutely moronic. And thus, as this is ABC, completely valid.

How f*cking dumb is Frons. There shouldn't even be any debate. If the man wrote a story bible for AMC then put him at AMC. To start from scratch and have Megan in charge for another 4-6 months will kill the show. It will never recover.

And I have to admit I was wrong. The more I've read other posters comments about Alden I agree that she is basically just a somewhat more classy version of Megan McTavish. I had forgotten the horrible stories she wrote at Y&R.

A few examples (correct me if this was someone else):

-Chet & Ramona

-Some horrible mess surrounding paitings

-Veronica Landers, Josh's presumed dead wife, poses as Nikki's unattractive maid. This was a classic McTavish tale. While it got rid of the dull character of Josh, the story was more dull than he was

-Tricia and Meg and their coma-inducing father who dated Jill.

-Grace

-Saint Christine

-The rotating african american female newbies

among others.

When I think of Kay Alden's run at Y&R I tend to think of the Sharon/Cassie story which was quite well crafted, however the bad probably more than outweighed the good.

Of course OLTL will get Armus. Frons will replace Megan with her clone and thus he can claim he is trying to do right by AMC when in fact nothing will change. I guess it's only fair that AMC is now the bastard child of ABC Daytime. For the longest time it was OLTL.

Is this fact or wishful thinking? Sometimes I wonder if anyone above Frons even looks at the ratings for daytime. Primetime primetime primetime, that's all they care about.

• Members

Brian is too worried about the cross marketing -- getting Jesse McCartney to croon at Colby

s sweet sixteen, or getting AMC podcasted, to worry that the shows that are the mainstay of Soapnet and ABC Daytime may be cancelled.

• Members

The more I hear about Alden the more nervous I get about her. If she is similiar to McTavish then, of couse, that would be the one Frons would pick for AMC. It would be too logical to put Amos in charge because he is familiar with AMC's history and respects it. He has already said how much he hates the unaborted fetus storyline and he might correct it. He might turn out to be the best thing that happened to AMC in a long time but we can't have that, can we????

If Burton doens't work out, then he could always pursue Alden or someone at a later date. AMC needs a change very badly and it needs it now. Frons inaction may actually get him fired. I wouldn't be surprised if the ABC soaps don't do well for November sweeps, Frons could be gone, IMHO.

Archived