Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soap Opera Network Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Y&R: Maybe I'm missing something...

Featured Replies

  • Member

I've noticed a whole lot of unhappy viewers talking about Y&R lately and how Lynn Latham isn't a good fit for the show. I started watching back when Cassie died and found it to be a compelling story, but in my opinion Latham has made the show WONDERFUL. Every episode is well structured, the characters are well drawn and stories are refreshing for daytime - loved the Brad/George story and I am really enjoying Jack and Gloria's war. Perhaps it's because I'm not a veteran viewer, but I really don't see what's wrong with the show. Anyone want to point out what's allegedly ruining the show? I know the first thing everyone's going to say is John's death but besides that, what is it that I'm missing?

  • Replies 31
  • Views 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member

The stories themselves are fine. However, the balance is insanely off and there's a fair amount of pimpage, two things which Y&R used to be (or seem to be) above when most soaps weren't. I'm not a veteran viewer and I've seen the quality sink.

  • Member

this is news to me...i have heard very little negative reviews of the show since she took over. even the cast loves her work, and they often go on record saying so...which is like a slap in the face to jack smith. :lol: as for the "her writing doesn't fit the show" comment, i think that it has something to do with the fact that her storylines are faster paced. when bill bell was at the helm the show moved very slowly, yet the show was still very good. it was like he was the only wtriter who could get you to tune in day after day even though he spoon-fed the audience (ironically, passions writer james e reilly LOVED that yr moved things very slowly and has since followed suit and writes everything and a snails pace). the show was LITERALLY UNWATCHABLE a year ago when they brought back shaila carter. after that debacle passed the show has been on a roll. it's never going to be as good as bill bell's yr, but it's actually got me tuning in day-after-day. anyway, that's my take on it...

  • Member

Speaking for myself, I've been watching since I was about 8 years old (1979 or so) and while I think the show is pretty exciting here lately with the Fisher/Abbotts clashing, Dru and Neil probably about to be over, and all goings on with the Newmans, here's what I think is going wrong:

Phyllis has become a needy, giggling doormat. WTF? She never even defends herself or tells Sharon to bite it whens he has something nasty to say to her. Sure, Sharon has every right to !@#$%^&*] at her, but MY Phyllis would never just sit quietly and look ashamed with a silly uncomfortable smile as she's berated.

Dru...same as Phyllis. Dru has some good lines and always the "faces" and "looks", but that's ALL she has now. She goes from telling Carmen off to apologizing in the next scene. She goes from giving Neil a piece of her mind to letting him say nasty mess to her and walk off and she stands there with her mouth agape. WTH? And now she's doing silly teenage crap following him around and spying on him with Sharon? :rolleyes: I want my "kick ass now ask questions later" Dru back. Not this Dru that lets people talk to her any old kind of way. :angry:

Victoria...wow, I don't even know where to start with this one. But I know the Victoria of the past would never be hooked up and dumb as hell with a sheisty mofo like Brad. To me, this has NOTHING to do with the actress, it's the script she's given to work with. The few scenes where we saw some fire in her eyes and emotion in her voice were when she confronted Sharon and Brad about their kiss and fired Sharon were too few. After that, she's right back to kissing Brad's ass. Say huh? :huh:

Katherine hardly gets any screentime and when she does, it's mostly something that has her standing up for Gloria (the woman who almost destroyed her damn company). It's just crazy that Katherine hasn't figured out Gloria's role in any of this. Granted she has no reason to suspect Gloria, but that never stopped Katherine before with anyone else. EVERYBODY is a suspect, except this time. For example, most recently, her suspicion of Jack and his meddling in John's will was right on point. But she never put together all the people that had access to the lab? :mellow:

Jill... same as Katherine. She's been on the show for as long as I can remember. Plus, she has ALWAYS been such an integral part of every element and so many exciting storylines. Now she's just a puppet in brief scenes. Again I ask, WTF?

Nikki...we barely even get to see her.

Lauren kind of just stands around in bewilderment as the Fishers and Abbotts fight. Oh, she'll deliver a funny line every now and then ("Gloria, why don't you unpack a trashbag?")

Now my opinion is that she has taken ALL of the backbone, fire and BRAINS out of the powerful (power being either/or in status or plain WILL) women of Genoa City. She's turned all of them into simpering idiots. I keep watching waiting for the moment when we'll see the dragons return. All we get is a little something to keep us tuned in and then it's back to them being complete doormats. <_<

  • Member

theres a bit of inconsistency with the stories. One example would be Carmen dating Jack which is dropped in favor of her and Neil. Then they have her sleep with Jack only to go back to Neil. Last week out of the blue they remember that she's supposed to be connect with Jack and have them interact again.

The skin cream plot was running strong at Jabot but then that was dropped. The show needs to fix up its consistency. Alot of things also seem to move too fast and the show needs to slow down a bit

  • Member

Y&R has always been infamous for that though. Touching on stories then completely dropping them, sometimes revisiting them, sometime not. Like Lily's paternity... completely dropped until Latham revisited it. I am sure eventually that skin cream plot will come out, hope to god. Just when Gloria maybe gets back in good with the Abbots because of Jack's "softening" *puke* towards her and then boom the skin cream plot is exposed. I can only hope anyway.

  • Member

Overall, I like the show; but I will point out that I am not liking Gloria front and center a lot of the time....I also want Phyllis to go back to the way she once was; a red-head with an edge and spark. Once they paired her up with Nick, all that spark went up in a poof of smoke; it's literally gone; however, I do see that they won't be "happily ever after" especially with how they are setting up happy home so easily without conflict.

I'm kind of disappointed that they have Neil acting so callous and careless about things. Most times when Dru and Neil have conflict to the point where their marriage is coming undone, they truly fight; It's more like Dru is doing all the fighting and Neil is doing all the sneaking around.

I am interested in seeing Jill/Ashley/Will storyline....disappointed that Gloria had to be involved in this now. It would have been good to see the nastiness in Jill come out on Ashley.

While I love Michael; everything should not have him revolving around his mama's issues. To me, it seems like since Gloria has been on the show, other characters have been sucked dry from the way they were. Lauren, Jill, and Katherine are all smart and bright women; and Lauren of all people should know when someone is a manipulative, schemer; heck she dealt with the likes of Sheila Carter. Katherine and Jill too seem to have lost all common sense; if they can read Jack like a book and know he's up to no good, then they should really have a BIG clue that Gloria is no good. Yet, all these characters seem to be dumbed down to make her smart in some way.

  • Member

Latham loves Gloria, there is no question. So many good characters have been sacrificed to prop her up. Katherine is the worst example. A great story for Kay would be for Katherine to do the reasearch she said she was gonna do about John's will etc. and discover Glo's misdeeds. Oh move over Jill, Kay's got a new woman on her hit list.

  • Member

I've been trying to figure out how to verbalize what I find wrong with LML's storytelling. There are a number of things that I have enjoyed during her tenure and what's going on with the show right now. The show is much more exciting. I like that she's been mixing the characters up more. She hasn't been cramming a bunch of new characters down our throats. So far, she's been respectful of the show's history. I also feel like she's a definite improvement from Jack-ass Smith and his storyline pimping. I swear he'd have a different pet story per season. I can go on with the positives, but there's something that just bugs me about the show right now.

I feel like the show has never been as plot-driven as it has become with LML at the helm. I think she's one of those writers that pay relatively more attention to plot then character. It's not that she ignores character development, but... I don't know. Just look at Pod People we have running around Genoa City: Phyllis, Victor, Dru, Jack, Neil, Kay, Jill, etc. So many characters are close to becoming cartoony, one-note, or too black and white. Or they're twisted in a way to fit a story or coupling (Phyllis in the whole Nick/Phyllis relationship).

The whole Nazi crap kind of worries me because you could tell it's something she was passionate about via interviews and magazine articles and it was 100% completely hers. Yet, it's a perfect example of plot over character. It was boring, had far too many holes in it to count, and left me wondering what was the point. Yes, it gave Brad a backstory and I think discovering that he had been hiding his Jewish roots can be very interesting. But, everything else about the story was like WTF! Did anyone think Sharon was going to be killed? The reliquary plot was stupid (If I hear the word one more time...). Watch Victoria show her out of nowhere skill at creating a fake reliquary in a matter of minutes with a few arts and crafts supplies. Watch Brad and Nick go all Dumb and Dumber looking for Sharon and JT. Watch Brad kill a man with his thighs of steel. LOL! And as we come to the conclusion of this story, where basically back to where we were before it began. Nick and Phyllis are still together. Victoria is still clueless and with Brad. Sharon's alive and still pining after Brad. Where's the pay-off?

I also feel that she skips so many of the beats that many long-time viewers are used to and enjoyed seeing. I enjoy the faster pace as much as the next person, but not at the expense of pivotal moments that we no longer get to see. The character defining, insightful moments.

She's not perfect, and I'm not expecting her to be. Nobody's perfect. For instance, one of the things that always bugged me about Bill Bell was that he'd have all of his stories isolated from one another, with very little interaction between them. At the end of the day, I'm still watching and enjoying the show, despite my constant complaining. LOL! It is what it is, ya know. But that's not going to keep me from expecting the best from the #1 show, the show that sets the standard in daytime.

  • Author
  • Member

See, coming from ABC Daytime I wasn't surprised to see some far fetched adventure story about Nazi art pieces - it seems like there is a weekly plane crash, murder or faked death each week on GH, AMC and OLTL - but there was a distinct difference on Y&R. People were actually worried - nobody slept, everybody was by the phone, and Sharon was actually shaken and traumatized upon rescue. It was thrilling and while I knew nobody would die it was still more fun than any other soap.

  • Member
I've noticed a whole lot of unhappy viewers talking about Y&R lately and how Lynn Latham isn't a good fit for the show. I started watching back when Cassie died and found it to be a compelling story, but in my opinion Latham has made the show WONDERFUL. Every episode is well structured, the characters are well drawn and stories are refreshing for daytime - loved the Brad/George story and I am really enjoying Jack and Gloria's war. Perhaps it's because I'm not a veteran viewer, but I really don't see what's wrong with the show. Anyone want to point out what's allegedly ruining the show? I know the first thing everyone's going to say is John's death but besides that, what is it that I'm missing?

Best daytime has to offer. 'nuff said.

One Life to Live USED TO BE MY FAVORITE SHOW (Hi! to you too interns. Keep stacking them polls babies.) but now I pretty much hate anything ABCD. Suck on that BRIAN

  • Member
The stories themselves are fine. However, the balance is insanely off and there's a fair amount of pimpage, two things which Y&R used to be (or seem to be) above when most soaps weren't. I'm not a veteran viewer and I've seen the quality sink.

Thank you.

Balance IS a problem, and it just hasn't been on Y&R in the past.

And Pimpage is a good word. ICAM.

Y&R was always consistent in that way, and these two ways are horrid changes for the show.

  • Member
I've been trying to figure out how to verbalize what I find wrong with LML's storytelling. There are a number of things that I have enjoyed during her tenure and what's going on with the show right now. The show is much more exciting. I like that she's been mixing the characters up more. She hasn't been cramming a bunch of new characters down our throats. So far, she's been respectful of the show's history. I also feel like she's a definite improvement from Jack-ass Smith and his storyline pimping. I swear he'd have a different pet story per season. I can go on with the positives, but there's something that just bugs me about the show right now.

I feel like the show has never been as plot-driven as it has become with LML at the helm. I think she's one of those writers that pay relatively more attention to plot then character. It's not that she ignores character development, but... I don't know. Just look at Pod People we have running around Genoa City: Phyllis, Victor, Dru, Jack, Neil, Kay, Jill, etc. So many characters are close to becoming cartoony, one-note, or too black and white. Or they're twisted in a way to fit a story or coupling (Phyllis in the whole Nick/Phyllis relationship).

The whole Nazi crap kind of worries me because you could tell it's something she was passionate about via interviews and magazine articles and it was 100% completely hers. Yet, it's a perfect example of plot over character. It was boring, had far too many holes in it to count, and left me wondering what was the point. Yes, it gave Brad a backstory and I think discovering that he had been hiding his Jewish roots can be very interesting. But, everything else about the story was like WTF! Did anyone think Sharon was going to be killed? The reliquary plot was stupid (If I hear the word one more time...). Watch Victoria show her out of nowhere skill at creating a fake reliquary in a matter of minutes with a few arts and crafts supplies. Watch Brad and Nick go all Dumb and Dumber looking for Sharon and JT. Watch Brad kill a man with his thighs of steel. LOL! And as we come to the conclusion of this story, where basically back to where we were before it began. Nick and Phyllis are still together. Victoria is still clueless and with Brad. Sharon's alive and still pining after Brad. Where's the pay-off?

I also feel that she skips so many of the beats that many long-time viewers are used to and enjoyed seeing. I enjoy the faster pace as much as the next person, but not at the expense of pivotal moments that we no longer get to see. The character defining, insightful moments.

She's not perfect, and I'm not expecting her to be. Nobody's perfect. For instance, one of the things that always bugged me about Bill Bell was that he'd have all of his stories isolated from one another, with very little interaction between them. At the end of the day, I'm still watching and enjoying the show, despite my constant complaining. LOL! It is what it is, ya know. But that's not going to keep me from expecting the best from the #1 show, the show that sets the standard in daytime.

What he said.

  • Member

I agree with the posts who mentioned the lack of balance and the focus on Gloria. It's like every month LML gets a new pet...one month its Phyllis, the next its Gloria and the rest of the cast falls in between them.

I would also like to add that some of the actors DO have a problem with the way the show has gone since she took over, one of those actors being Jeanne Cooper.

  • Member

another dropped plot, Will Bardwell. What the #$@$ happened to him? He had some hot chemistry with Ashley and they had him going on dates with Jill and that was dropped out of the blue. Why? I thought they were gearing up for some type of triangle here. Of course he disappears and Jill gets no man and no story

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.