As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

The grand, majestic, sweeping theme doesn't really fit with what ATWT had become. It's jarringly out of place with the era of Stenbeck and Margo and the many flop Dobson characters who invaded Oakdale. To me the '80s theme fits that period well, and also works well for Marland's run. 

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I agree with you @DRW50, the 80s them was suitable to the times and it had its charms (and I happened to be quite fond of the 80s theme).  The 70s theme was sweeping and majestic, but as the time changed, it might have seemed a bit too grandiose for everyday viewing- (I couldn't imagine hearing the 70s theme when ATWT's budget started to nosedive and longtime characters disappeared or became unrecognizable) which is why I suggested that it be used for special occasions like an Anniversary show.  Given that TPTB at ATWT knew when their last season was approaching, it would've been nice to do a variation of the various ATWT, I mean, even if they were on a tight budget, if someone on You Tube can do it, why couldn't they?

I just think that by the show's last decade, TPTB could truly care less about adding special touches like that.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I do love the 80s theme, but I guess because I wasn't around watching the show when it was used, I don't have the fondness for it that others do. I guess my main thing is that the music coupled with the visuals gave the show a very sci-fi look.

I think they could have updated while still keeping some of the bigness of the previous music. The original version of "My Guiding Light" over on GL was majestic without being overblown, and they kinda brought back some of the grandness with the toilet flush theme.

• Members

When I think of ATWT, the *real* ATWT, I always think of the original grand, sweeping theme. TIIC for the last decade of the show simply did not understand its legacy, did not care about preserving it, and/or were too incompetent to manage the series well. Katie mourning for Nancy while Penny, Don, and Ellen were MIA says it all, alas.

• Members

You don't know how much I've wished I could wave a magic wand and flush most of the stories from the show's last decade and re-write a whole new set of stories!  TIIC then didn't seem to realize that you didn't need an exhoribant budget to write a good show, you needed talent, creativity, some imagination and a healthy respect for you characters and fidelity to the characters' histories.

• Members

Yes, Lucinda was a snake.  I'm not sure why she seemed to want to ruin Steve, not even her then esteemed son-in-law Tonio could change her mind.  Babs was quite busy making mischief for for several people in town.  I do appreciate that eventually Bab's schemes started to come undone one by one and she was squeezed by Tad Channing all through the summer.  It would take longer for Lucinda's deceptions to be revealed.  

I do wish that the episode where Steve realizes Tonio's hand in his personal undoing but it's nowhere to be found online.

There is that interesting scene where Barbara's both Tonio and Duncan show up at Fashion's and Tad Channing, snickering in the background, wonders what it is that Barbara does that has men beating a path to her door and proposes when he's finished blackmailing her that they have an affair!  Larry Pine's Channing was really a creepy letch!

• Members

I'm watching Day 2 of the Death of Chris Hughes and two things I've observed:  Don and Mary Hughes named their baby girl Christina Nancy.  Did an older Christina Nancy ever make an appearance in Oakdale?

Also, there is a scene in New Mexico where Meg talks to Rosa about Dusty returning to Oakdale with her and Rosa taunts Meg about how she used her feminine wiles to trick Dusty but she'll soon run out of ways to keep doing this and she mutters something in Spanish, which Meg doesn't understand and asks Rosa what she said to which Rosa guffaws but doesn't answer. Later, there is this hilarious dream sequence where Meg fantasizes about being married to a Harvard grad Dusty and having his baby and Rosa, who is their maid while dusting the wine glasses as Meg and John toast to Meg being the right woman for Dusty, again, Rosa says something sharply in Spanish and again Meg briefly asks her what she said before brushing it off.

The first time I didn't pay attention to what Rosa said but the last time I saw it, I wondered what Rosa said and this time, I actually listened to it and I guessed that she was probably calling Meg a tramp but since I know some reasonable amount of Spanish, I really rewound it and listened carefully so that I could actually hear what Rosa was saying and discovered that she was calling Meg a mujerzuela barata, which is basically a cheap tramp.:lol:  I just found it hilarious that even in Meg's fantasy, Rosa was still insulting her.:lol:

• Members

I think Ryder was the only child of Don/Mary to appear on ATWT as an adult. I think after he was written off, they practically ignored Nancy's other 2 kids (Don & Penny), and their offspring with the exception of them bringing Penny back for Christmas in '00. 

I still get pissed at how this show was not over-populated with a newer generation of Hughes in its last years. They should've been alongside Casey and Chris driving story.