Paul Raven

Another World

3,730 posts in this topic

Anne heche had the ability to make her Vicky and Marley two completely different characters...even in the ugly wig era.  Her Vicky was impulsive, emotional, and scheming...dramatic.  Her Marley was more restrained, repressed, warmer, and her voice was slightly more cultured and slightly snooty...since Marley had been raised in wealth.

Yes, AW tried to get her back......sort of.   She was asked the first time Jensen left, but her Hollywood career was picking up steam and she declined.  She was asked again to sub in for Jensen as a temp recast in September 1998, at the height of her stardom.  That time, she actually wanted to do it- it was only going to be a 2 week gig and she was all for it.   Things were looking good but either her agents/management wouldn't let her or there ended up being a scheduling conflict.  Pretty sure it was the former and instead we got Cynthia Watros.

13 minutes ago, juniorz1 said:

She was asked again to sub in for Jensen as a temp recast in September 1998, at the height of her stardom.  That time, she actually wanted to do it- it was only going to be a 2 week gig and she was all for it.  

I feel like that would have been super painful to have Anne back for just two weeks, then lose her again! I liked Jensen's Vicky enough, but she wasn't even in the same stratosphere as Anne's portrayal. Love when actors aren't ashamed of their soapy past, fine to joke about having evil twins and all the silly soap tropes, but I love when actors make it to the big time and look back fondly on their soapy starts.

I thought Anne Heche had said in interviews about the temp sub for Jensen that the show contacted her agent/mgr and was told no but Anne didn't know anything about it until after the fact when it was too late. She said that if she had known that she would have done the short stint. 

42 minutes ago, BetterForgotten said:

Watros was more like Anne's Vicky in those few episodes than Jensen ever was. 

Y'all are gonna stop coming for my Jensen Buchanan on here! :(

I liked her Vicky. ^_^

I think a combination of Jensen Buchanan and someone making the decision to turn Vicky into a Mary Sue (complete with at least three male protectors at all times, including ghost Ryan) completely destroyed the character Anne Heche and, to a lesser degree Ellen Wheeler, had created.

Why Ryan wanted anything to do with her after the whole Kirkland mess is completely beyond me. He should have left that ring on the ground where it belonged and bounced for good that time.

48 minutes ago, cassadine1991 said:

Was it a bad idea for Chris Goutman to bring on AW characters like Jake and Vicky to ATWT only to kill them off?

In hindsight, it was a bad idea.  P & G probably thought that since AW and ATWT both aired in the same time slot, it would be a good idea to bring some AW characters to ATWT so that AW viewers would tune into ATWT.  The influx of AW characters did not move ATWT's ratings that much.  I think many AW viewers were done with daytime after AW was canceled.   No one showed garnered their long time viewership.  And one by one each of the New York soaps floundered and then were canceled.  Jake and Vicky should have stayed happy and alive in Bay City.