B&B: How Would You Revive the Show?

• Members

B&B should be rating a lot better than 3.1. I can definitely see DAYS passing them by the end of the year if Sheffer's SLs are that good.

My ideas:

Dump the writing team for a start. OK, it's Bradley Bell's baby, but maybe he could get a better team of assistant writers.

Characters I'd get rid of: Hector, Dante, Bridget, Jackie

Characters I'd put back on the frontburner: Sally and Clarke - Spectra is reformed to take on Forrester Creations.

Character I'd bring back: Deacon - he wants to spend more time with Hope, he and Felicia get together, for instance.

I'm a Brooke fan, but the whole show doesn't have to be just about her.

Keep Brooke/Nick together for now, but give them something else to do which doesn't involve Ridge.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Brad Bell *IS* the problem. I used to be a huge fan of him(I do think he's adorable in an aging frat guy kinda way) and his stuff at B&B, but he is majorly sucking ass in the writing department. I think Brad Bell should do a soap bible for an hour-long spinoff of Y&R and/or B&B and give the Writing Reins of B&B to someone more seasoned and talented. Hell, people hated Jack Smith at Y&R, but I think he would be better for B&B. Christian McLaughlin would be good also. He's campy, but I think seeing his work for SPYDER GAMES, he would be a great HW for B&B. With the plan previously mentioned, everyone wins. Brad can create his useless characters for his new show, and the fashionable clan of Forrester can be written by way of a different writer's pen.

Brad can 'save' B&B from getting into the gutter. He just needs to stop being lazy and start writing good, character driven material. With camp too! Have to have the camp!

Bridget should have committed suicide when Jennifer Finnigan left the show the first time around. Bridget's death could have provided Emmy Worthy material for everyone involved. Instead of that, we have Ashley Jones who a) was horribly miscast as Bridget and B) isn't a good actress to begin with. I'm all for getting rid of the rest of those characters.

I say death to Spectra. That would be ANOTHER repetitive storyline. Something I would like to see is another fashion house(a legitamet fashion house, not a knockoff) competing with Forrester, kind of in the same vein as Newman Enterprises and Jabot/Chancellor on Y&R. Maybe Jackie couldd start up one.

But keep Sally and Clarke! They are both great characters! Just no to Spectra Fashions.

And quit changing the character's backstories to suit a certain storyline! I admit I wasn't watching B&B until I came to college about 4 years ago, but the greatest thing about soap operas is that the backstories of characters can make for such interesting future storylines. Brad really missed the boat on the Donna storyline by not bringing up her past history as having posed nude or modeled for Spectra. I didn't mind the de-aging of the character, but the fact that she had no modeling experience and they made it seem like she was so out of touch with fashion was mind-boggling. Especially since she was in a love triangle with a model and her own sister, Katie. Character's histories make for GREAT storylines in the future. Brad could have so used all of this stuff to his advantage.

I don't see it changing anytime soon. If B&B loses to DAYS(Hogan)/AMC(rumored Armus) in the ratings, I hope Bill Jr. has the sense to upseat his brother from the Head-Writer's chair at the show.

I still watch the show everyday and enjoy it, but Brad is wasting so much potential at B&B! "The half-hour format" excuse is done and over with. There are no excuses. The stories suck!

• Members

What the HELL is going on with Bridget/Dante/Felicia. I saw today and he and Bridget are over and he realizes he loves Felicia. WTF? When did this happen and why? Are they supposed to be the new Brooke/Ridge/Taylor bc its only lasted a few months and already running in circles

• Members

I'd drop the love triangle stories for the time being. It seems like they rule the show. I would change Nick's attitude so that he isn't thinking about how Ridge/Steph are plotting about Brooke 24/7. That's getting old.

I'd probably get rid of Bridget. I liked Bridget up until she started liking Nick but since then I haven't cared for her. Seems like every story that she's been in since then has been some triangle. I'd also bring back Spectra to challenge Forrester. Jackie works in fashion, maybe she could team up with Sally to give Forrester a fight. I'd like to see a villian, or just an antagonist besides Brooke/Donna. I remember somebody mentioning that Eric's wealthy brother should come to town and stir up some trouble. That sounds like it could be interesting to me. And just IMO, if the only thing they are going to have Felicia do is pine after Dante, they should have just killed her off when they had the chance.

I'm not sure about Bell himself. He can write good stories, he just can't always. Maybe he needs some better assistant writers to help his ideas along.

• Members

I think that just depends on the story. One of the things I like about B&B is how fast it moves. And some stories definentely move faster than others, and some take more time developing than others. Obviously the kill-off Darla thing seemed like a flying by the seat of their pants thing. I think it pretty much was. It happened so suddenly and I don't think it had much of an impact overall.

• Administrator

Brad Bell doesn't do 2 year pitches, heck he doesn't even do 1 year pitches! I'm going to guess he only thinks 3-6 months ahead. That's why so many characters come and go. He just doesn't know what to do.

Brad only has two associates right now, Michael Minnis and Elizabeth Snyder, with Jerry Birn consulting. Brad has Patrick Mulcahey, who's a script writing God, but I think he should also be an associate to help with the stories.

I would love to see B&B fall down to 3rd or 4th. Maybe that way, Brad will get some help and change his ways.

• Members

I'd find a writer who can be true to the history of the show, one who doesn't rewrite history . I'd get rid of Taylor, Dante, Felicia, Donna, and Bridget. I'd also bring back Sally and Clarke, this show needs a little humor. I'd let Brooke be happy with Nick. I'd also give Stephanie back her backbone, and give her more conflict with Brooke.

• Members

Sheila's return could add some definite excitement to the show. However, she should not be lurking in the shadows like during her previous returns. Sheila must come back, reveal herself to all and attempt to start life anew in L.A. as a good person while evil Sheila constantly threatens to emerge. There is much left unfinished between : Sheila and Taylor. Sheila and Brooke. Sheila and Stephanie. So much history, to this day nobody knows that Sheila tampered with Bridget's paternity tests...

• Members

I thought Pat Mulcahey wasn't doing anymore work for B&B? Anyway, B&B is beneath him. They doesn't deserve him. His work on the show was so fantastic last summer, and as much as I'd like for him to stay, Brad will never allow his show to be intelligent or on the level that Y&R's sister show needs to be. Even with a fantastic scriptwriter, there is only so much that they can do. Even the best script can't save shitty story ideas!

I don't WANT to see B&B lose its spot of #2, but it is SO likely to happen if Brad doesn't change his [!@#$%^&*]. And fast!

• Members

Interesting characters and a few popular actors....

Stories that catch someone's attention immediately.

I turned it on when GH started getting bad - which has been bad for a long time.

I couldn't get into it. I tried.... But nothing drew me in, and I didn't give it much time.

So they need stories to catch someone's attention and hold it. imho

Archived