What the hell happened to VH1 Classic?!

bellcurve

• Members

What the hell happened to VH1 Classic?! This channel was a saving grace from the garbage parent channels MTV and VH1. Even MTV Hits often played the same damn thing over and over again. VH1 MegaHits was cancelled for LOGO, and now the last place to hear REALLY good music has been taken away from me. I had only been watching the channel for about two years since my junior year of college(my university offered a really good deal on digital cable, so I pay $20 a month for a bunch of channels and all I use is SOAPnet and VH1 Classic).

VH1 Classic's barrage of 80's and early 90's music videos made me wish I went to High School during that era. The music was just so great. Some of it was mindless and whiny like today's music, but there was a certain sentiment behind it, other than, "Hey, let's make another hit and synthesize your voice!" And the videos were good too! Thank God YouTube and crazy fans of the 80's post music videos there. I can honestly say that my musical tastes have come a LONG way thanks to that channel and the fabulous artists and videos that I have come to know and love. Even if a lot of the videos were minor hits.

I miss PopShow, We Are the 80's(at its REGULAR TIMESLOT!), Classic Soul, and All-Star Jams. I miss going to sleep while hearing this music, or writing down the artists and songs I enjoyed so I could make my CDs. I guess I will have to listen to the soulless 80's music station packages that come with my cable package.

Turning this channel into all-metal will bite them in the ass. And lurking on the VH1 Classic Board, apparently, I am not the only one who opposes this change.

DAMN YOU VIACOM! DAMN YOU!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When are they doing this? I love that channel. :( I know that tonight they're starting the re-airing of the 1st day of MTV.

The only music I listen to is from pre-1985, so this station was like a life-saver. I refuse to watch the garbage that's on MTV and VH1.

:(

• Members

Shouts with Bellcurve DAMN YOU VIACOM!

Fuse already plays tons of Metal, Why do we need another one?

Thank goodness for the Digital Music Channels... 70, 80's, 90's, Party Faves, Classic Rock, and Solid Gold Oldies

• Members

I didn't get VH1 Classic, but it sucks they're taking it away. If you surf the web, you'll find that many people can't stand today's music because it mostly sucks. Not everyone wants to constantly hear rap, prostitute pop, so-called punk/nu-metal bands and whiny emo bands wanting to sit in a dark room and die. Even country music has gotten bad. I think the only good modern music is club/trance/electronica/techno.

Of course I'm biased, since I only listen to songs from the 50s-early 90s, and any type of dance music.

• Members

The change has already happened. They only play "We Are The 80's" about once a day. And there's the morning block of music videos, but I bet my testicles they are rock heavy!

And they play crappy movies all the [!@#$%^&*] time! If I want to watch crappy docu-movies about artists, I'll watch HBO or check them out at Blockbuster.

TOTALLY AGREE with this assessment Bree! I think this is why I was such a VH1 Classic Follower. The music videos(esp. from the 80's) were more artistic and even if they weren't, at least they didn't have to sell a lot of sex to produce an eye-popping video. Thank GOD for YouTube!

I'll have to check out my Digital Music Channels too, Rick. I'm just beyond stunned that Viacom made VH1 Classic sell-out.

They didn't make an announcement that the channel was going off the air, but the format is SO unrecongizable from even three months ago. They play lots of metal specials, MY COOLEST YEARS, SUPERGROUP, and movie after movie.

• Members

How odd. I just saw an entire display rack of CDs in Wal-Mart tonight under the heading VH1Classic with several '80s greatest hits compilations with the VH1 Classic logo on the back of them. I'd never seen the display before and thought it was new. I guess if the station is going of the air, I was wrong. :blink:

• Members

Okay, Now I am confused lol

I was under the impression VH1 Classic was becoming VH1 Metal...

Here's the schedule for this week

6:00-9:00AM Morning Video Block

9:00-11:00 AM We Are The 80's

11:00AM-1:00PM Metal Mania

1:00-3:00PM We Are The 80's

3:00-4:00PM MTV's First Day

4:00-5:00PM All Request Hour

5:00-5:30PM We Are The 80's Box Set: Scandal (Wal-Mart Deal Matt was talking about)

5:30-7:00PM We Are The 80's

7:00-8:00PM All Request Hour

8:00-9:30PM Rock Fest

9:30-12:00AM Rock Honors

12:00 AM-6:00AM MTV First Day Videos

• Members

Yeah, but where the hell is PopShow? All Star Jams?

There's just way too much Rock Music and specials for me. I should have reserved judgement until the MTV First Day Crap was over, but the networks IS leaning into a rock-heavy direction. Usually, specials and stuff like that are reserved for the weekend(Like Rock Fest and Rock Honors), and even then they are in light rotation. I just feel that SUPERGROUP and MY COOLEST YEARS don't belong on MY VH1 Classic.

• Members

The reason I don't watch vh1classic much is because it's too rock heavy. They recently cancelled BET Jazz and turned it into BETJ and I'm hooked on this network! There is this show In Video which shows all the key videos for an artist, then Video Soul Gold which is like an old school 106 & Park/TRL type show. And my favorite is My Two Cents which is like The View.

So far I've become fans of Brandy, Jade, Corinne Bailey Rae and reignited my love for Clor Me Badd! :D

• Members

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ Aug 1 2006, 10:46 PM)

The reason I don't watch vh1classic much is because it's too rock heavy. They recently cancelled BET Jazz and turned it into BETJ and I'm hooked on this network! There is this show In Video which shows all the key videos for an artist, then Video Soul Gold which is like an old school 106 & Park/TRL type show. And my favorite is My Two Cents which is like The View.

So far I've become fans of Brandy, Jade, Corinne Bailey Rae and reignited my love for Clor Me Badd! :D

Sounds fun. I'm glad they did SOMETHING with that channel. BET Jazz was boring as hell.

And Jade had more than the one hit, "Don't Walk Away"?

Archived