Are you religious?

MarlandRulez

• Members

Catholics are supposed to give 10% of their salaries to the church as well. At my old church, they devoted 9 weeks to sermons about tithing and how it was our obligation as Christians to give 10% of our money to the church. :rolleyes: My mom only gives $20 each week. She'd have to give $100+ to make 10%...that's just crazy!

Speaking of money, this old lady whom my uncle took care of was supposed to leave her entire life fortune to him (it was something insane, like 50K), but at the last minute she gave it all to Billy Graham! :o When she passed away, all my uncle got was a toaster oven and he gave it to my grandma! :o

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's called a tithe and I don't understand what all the shock is about. Has nobody heard of this? That is what shocks me. The 10% of your income is to help the church and you don't have to tithe, although most see it as the right thing to do. It's like giving back to the church/clergy and helping them grow, expand and whatnot.

• Members

I was raised as a Baptist, but as an adult I don't label myself any religion. I don't really beileve in organized religion. I have a one on one relationship God and he knows what's in my heart. Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car. :)

• Members

My entire family's Catholic and my mom's one of those hardcore Catholics. I remember being about 7 or 8 and going to chuch everyday in the morning during the summer. All throughout elementary, I attended public school so my mom bought these catechism books so I probably know more about Catholicism than any kid who went to a Catholic school. It's funny..one time when I went to confession, the priest asked me what school I went to. I told him and he didn't recognize the name so he asked me if it was a Catholic school. I said, "No" and he asked me why I didn't go to a Catholic school. :blink: Uh..maybe because the school I go to is just a block away from my house! I thought that question was ridiculous at the time but also, I felt a tad guilty and bad (which I know I shouldn't have felt) and looking back...I went to a Catholic school in junior high and I hated it. Catholic schools are no better than public schools and the major flaw I find in the Catholic school system is lack of diversity...which leads to flawed perceptions of certain cultures/ethnic communities. I'm not saying that's the case in all Catholic schools...I volunteered in one recently and thought it was great but my experience in being educated in one sucked. My school didn't even have enough money for courses like drama and art.

I'm in no way religious...I actually stopped going to church regularly about a month ago but I promised my dad that I would go for sure during Easter, Christmas, and my b-day. :P But it's been quite a few years since I believe in all the Church teachings. I haven't prayed in ages (although that is something I'm all for doing...I just don't like recited prayer). I do still believe in God and Jesus...I just don't believe that you need to follow an organized religion to be a good person.

• Members

Well, you aren't a member of the church, therefore you don't have to tithe. Obviously, if people believe the church is a huge pile of bullshit they wouldn't give 10% of their income.

All these comments about sexual molestation and stuff is such bull. There is corruption everywhere. There is corruption in religion. There is corruption in church, but not EVERY church and not EVERY labeled "Christian" or spiritual/religious person is corrupt and a hypocrite. Good grief. Crap like that pisses me off. Just because you see one church or maybe several churches do something corrupt, you assume that every church is like that. Talk about judgmental.

• Members

I have a Jewish grandmother (that whole side of the family is) her ex-husband and my bio-grandfather was a Catholic. My mom was raised as both. My dad's side are Christian's. My mom converted to Christianity and has attmpted to raise me and my silbings as such.

I've attended temple, gone to Mass, and attended Sunday Service at the my mom chruch. LMAO, needless to say, I grew up pretty confused on this whole "what religion/what do you believe" stuff.

As a result, and because of my own believes that have developed over the years, I don't believe in organized religion, period. I will not label myself. I have my own relationship with God, and it's mine alone.

• Administrator

Thank You.

I'm Catholic but not hardcore. I go to church 3 times a year (Christmas eve, Good Friday and Easter Sunday).

Kenny, I thought your comment was so disrespectful. You didn't have to be so rude in expressing your feelings towards the Church just because you don't believe in it.

Archived