Are you religious?

MarlandRulez

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Pope John Paul II was against it, Benedict XVI hasn't embraced it but does agree that it can help stop the spread of AIDS.

I'm a Catholic by name only. I'm too lazy to go to church and too cheap to offer money.

• Members

Most RCs practice forms of birth control, even though the Church is against it; otherwise, every Catholic couple would be popping out kids every 9 months. I remember learning all about it in CCD...it was such crap. :rolleyes:

I know that there are people who do practice the rhythm method, but it's so inaccurate. My cousins are devout Catholics and they did it, but now they had 5 kids in the span of 8 years. :lol: So I guess they stopped.

Officially, I'm Catholic since I was confirmed and all that business, but I'm agnostic. My mom bugs me about going to Church every week (she's really religious), but I never do.

Oh, and I guess in Catholicism it's a sin to watch soap operas! :lol: I went to a retreat in 8th grade, and the priests there said that, as well as reading your horoscope, reading romance novels, using a Ouija board, and other stupid stuff. I guess we're all going to hell then. :lol:

• Members

Oh, that is ridiculous! It's not a sin to watch soaps. It IS a sin, I think, if you get turned on by them and entertain those thoughts by commiting to a physical relationship through channeling the body energy of soap studs whom you want to see getting down and dirty with you. That's psychic and Satanic.

Oija board is a sin.

Romance novels=same as with soaps.

Horoscopes aren't sinful--you just can't believe them.

Some priests go overboard and make everything a sin - and let's be honest, if you try really hard, you can justify doing just that. But some things are definite, and regarding your list, I just told you them.

• Members

When I told my grandma about it, she's like that's bulls**t! She refused to give up watching her soaps, even for the Church. :lol:

The church I used to attend was borderline cult. I don't say that b/c I'm a lapsed Catholic...it's the truth. After my sister received confirmation, we started going to another church and it was a lot better. After my grandma passed away, my mom officially joined that parish.

Yeah, the priests said that they're a sin because people often mistake them for reality. But still...it's the same w/ all types of TV and books. I'll always remember, though, when they mentioned soap operas b/c at the time I was extremely God-fearing! I thought I was going to hell for sure.

I understand Ouija boards, but they're made by Milton Bradley or some stupid game maker. Of course you're not conjuring up spirits! :lol:

Confirmation is stupid. I don't remember exactly what happens. I had mine 5 years ago. You have a sponser and then you get to pick a Saint Name. First Communion is better because you get a lot of money. My family is really big, so I got like $3,000 at my First Communion, but at my Confirmation I only got $50 and a necklace. :rolleyes:

• Members

WTH? :blink:

I tend to agree.

I don't think most people understand the concept of a Ouija board and see it more as a game than as a tool that supposedly gets you in contact with the other life.

I've entertained the idea of using one but I'm too chicken to do so.

Anybody see "Long Time Dead" (british film about a Ouija demon)?

• Members

Ouija boards are scary. My house at college was built in 1899 and supposedly is extremely haunted. Until I lived there, I didn't believe in ghosts...but my roommate and I were under the impression that there was a ghost in our room b/c some strange stuff happened while we lived there.

Anyway, our room in there next year is supposed to be haunted as well. I guess other people have done things to get rid of the spirits. There is a Ouija board in the living room and people used it to talk to spirits...like Sylvia Plath who used to live in our house and crazy stuff like that. And people have also burned herbs and had senaces. :o I'd do one in my room, but I'm a huge chicken...and so is my roommate!

• Members

WorldTurns, you're right, I should explain that a bit. I just assumed the "soaps are sinful" schtick came from the often sensual and arousing content of the soaps, such as sex and love scenes. Taking it further, of course, would be trying to connect with the character in that soap and have sex with that fictional character.

Archived