Poseidon

Roman

• Members

That.......was.......HORRIBLE!!!!!!

The studio spent $200 million dollars on that piece of garbage. Other than the capsizing, it does not hold a candle to TPA.

Please, don't waste your cash on that trash.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I started to feel it would suck once I kept seeing the previews and MTV sneak peak and the characters seemed so bland. What made the original so compelling wasn't just the capsizing (which holds up VERY well today), but you really cared for the people! It was well cast and there was a good build up to the action.

Such a shame, TWO remakes and both suck? LOL

• Members

That's the point, Chris! The characters are given no time to be established in any way. The damn capsizing takes place 15 minutes into the flick! The purser on the bridge stops in his tracks, says "Wait a minute. That doesn't feel right. Something's off", picks up a pair of binoculars, looks out the window, and sees the damn tidal wave! I said BULLS%$T! out loud in the theater.

That's what the studio gets. Now that this is flopping, hopefully this will signal the beginning of the end for remakes.

• Members

I enjoyed it. Me and a friend saw it for the hell of it and it was enjoyable, definetly worth watching on the big screen.

However, take it for what it is, a MAJOR popcorn movie, not a character-driven emotional drama (but then again the part with the mother and her son when he was trapped was kinda sad).

The capsizing was unbelievable!

• Members

I actually liked it. I would give it a 7 out of 10.

It's bad when a movie goes straight into the drama with out establishing the characters and 15 minuets was not enough but for me it was them going threw the drama that made me care about them.

I thought most of the actors did well in their respective parts. The two hero's were really good and the mother was brilliant and i found the fiance's rootable and they had a good energy.

I was sad that the one hispanic character died. I felt that the old guy should have died for killing the waiter just after the waiter helped him get threw the elevator shaft. I also hated that the father of the fiancee' died.

I thought that Fergie and the captain and the extra's were amazing. Those screams! oh my god those screams they were soo horriable. It was soo sad!

• Members

When Fergie and the Catain looked at each other right before the windows bursted open, that was some good acting. They knew they were dead, and just went to The Great Beyond together.

But..........no character development. That just killed it for me. And the end?

• Members

Yep that scene was sad. They just KNEW that was it for them. Fergie was actually not bad, I mean she was singing for most of it, but she did good on her first acting debut.

Yes the character were not established enough, but I didn't really seem to mind, because I started to care for them as the drama progressed throughout the movie. I did feel bad for Richard Dreyfuss' character in the beginning, he is such a good actor that has totally just dissapeared from movies, I didn't evne know he was in this movie, so that was a nice suprise.

Kurt Russell was also pretty good in the movie, he always plays very likable characters and who COULDN'T have liked him in this movie. Emmy Rossum was also good....hell I really like this move the most I think about it.

I haven't seen the original so maybe that is why, but for the most past I didn't really care that we didn't know the characters to much before the disaster, but I certainly cared for them after the fact.

The ending was lame though, I mean there just so happen to be an inflated life boat in the water!! HOW!! Don't those need to be inflated by someone before they go in the water, and since no one was EVER outside the ship I thought that was prett ridiculous, but I was glad most of them made it out, which suprised me, usually in these movies only 2 or 3 make it out alive!

• Members

In the original, there was conflict throughout the entire movie, especially between Gene Hackman and Ernest Borgnine. In this one, everyone got along. And see, I grew up on the original. ABC would play it once a year on Sunday night, and my mom and I would watch it every time it came on.

No. Not only the life raft, but the fact that it was equipped with the only flare gun in the entire ocean. You should have heard the people in the theater yell "BULLS!%T!!!" when that came up.

But the score was real good. I just got it, and highly recommend it.

• Members

I agree about Fergie and the Captain they were great. They knew they were going to die and they just wanted to be near eachother. I thought the screams from the extra's were surreal and then seeing the 7-9 major characters hearing them from the outside made it all that more real to me.

The charaters weren't established and i also didn't mind that much because them going threw the tragedies and them fighting to help one another and to stay alive made me like them and made me root for them. So i didn't mind.

About the inflated boat thing. We saw them go overboard when the ship was capsizing. i think there were like 3 or 5 that landed in the water so i didn't think it was that unrealistic and out of the blue. Since they showed that they were there during the capsizing and after it. I thought the flare gun was unbelievable thou. I was disappointed in the deaths. Why did they have to kill off the Father and the Spanish chica :(

• Members

The character development was absolutely ridiculous! It took ... what about 15-20 minutes before the storyline was in full swing? As a remake of the original, I think it was a disaster. However, I have to give it credit for its action-packed scenes and stunt work. I zoned out towards the last 10 minutes or so of the movie, but I don't think there would have been anything to change my overall thoughts.

I would have liked to see the length of the movie extended to develop the characters better and allow for the plot to build up a little more.

• Members
I saw this Saturday night. The best part about this movie was the trailer. <_< I'd say about halfway through, I no longer cared who survived. In fact, I was wishing they'd hurry up and die so I could leave. :mellow: The little boy was getting on my nerves wandering off all the time. And at the end...there just happened to be a perfectly inflated raft right there when they jumped. And they were magically strong enough to row AGAINST and overcome the undertow of a giant cruise ship sinking into the ocean????? :rolleyes: BULLSHIT.

Archived